Author Topic: Catalyst problem, hesitation after start up  (Read 1258 times)

Adrian Moffat

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Honda Jazz SE Sport
Catalyst problem, hesitation after start up
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:20:23 PM »
Hi, sorry if this is long winded but here we go. 2002 Honda Jazz SE Sport. My Catalytic converter was stolen a little over 12 months ago, Had a new one fitted at significant expense, but soon after, the engine light came on. The diagnostic code showed a problem with Bank 1 Lambna sensor (the one after the cat). The dealer cleaned it to see what happened. After a short while, the engine light came on again with same error code. A replacement sensor was ordered under warranty but supply problems took many months before replacement arrived. Less than 20 miles, the engine light was on again, same code. Now past 12 months warranty, I did some googling and a faulty EGR valve was suggested. I replaced this but the engine light remains. Also, I get some hesitation and loss of power soon after setting off (warm or cold). Dipping the clutch and a quick rev clears it. The MOT is due soon so I'd like to sort this reasonably soon. Any ideas or suggestions....Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:22:30 PM by Adrian Moffat »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Catalyst problem, hesitation after start up
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »
Is the EML (engine light) on now? Have you got any diagnostic codes for this last episode?

Lambda related diagnostic codes don't usually mean that the lambda is at fault, it could be indicating a genuine fault condition, such as an exhaust leak somewhere.

Adrian Moffat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Honda Jazz SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:04 PM »
The Engine light is still on...  The full exhaust was replaced after cat was stolen apart from back box which was almost new. I have checked for leaks but it's fine. The code still indicates Bank One Lambna Sensor faulty. I was convinced it was the EGR valve which seems to be a common problem, but replacing it has not improved things. Soon after start up (within a minute), the engine looses power but doesn't stall. Pressing the clutch and reving the accelerator seems to clear the hesitation, sometimes it's worse than others. Fuel consumption is fine.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »
The exact fault code might be helpful. There are codes which will point to specific external problems, for example exhaust leaks or misfires. You need to figure out if the fault code is a symptom or cause of the problem.

Out of interest, when were the plugs last changed, including the back ones?

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
You can buy a Bluetooth OBDII reader that connects to your phone for £5-10. Useful little gadget.

Did the dealer fit a new cat? Or is it a second hand one sourced from somewhere?

Dark Eyes

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz Mk1 Sport Auto
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 06:56:39 PM »
You really need to know the fault codes to make an accurate diagnosis.
If you get P0131 and/or P0132 reported, see my experiences of trying to deal with these here
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11266.msg83092#msg83092

Tags:

anything