Author Topic: D or B!  (Read 11681 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: D or B!
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2022, 05:17:13 AM »
I'm hooked on B as well, love it.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »
Never used B
So, your not interested in saving energy by regeneration, which of course means ultimately saving petrol?
And also saving wear, on brake pads and discs.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:00:40 AM by Kenneve »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2022, 10:42:21 AM »
Never used B
So, your not interested in saving energy by regeneration, which of course means ultimately saving petrol?
I occasionally use B, but selectively when I think it would be  beneficial,such as a medium length down hill stretch ,steep enough to keep the car moving  despite the extra regenerative braking effect of B mode.  I find the extra regenerative effect in B  sometimes slows the car more than I want so I have to use throttle more often just to keep the car  moving.Which seems counter productive.   . 

I'm not convinced the energy savings is significant in normal traffic, if the driver anticipates the need to stop sooner ,and comes off the throttle  sooner,with gentle braking when necessary  .   I am very happy with my fuel consumption in D   even compared to others who might be using B. 

I also think Driving in D mode is more like  'normal ' cars.   When I now drive a manual car , I occasionally forget to  change down when slowing until the car shows its displeasure.   I'd hate to think I might also expect the car to slow itself down more and forget to brake ! ;D 
(I wouldnt of course , I am experienced enough to have it all under control   :-[  but the less difference between cars the better.  )

Its a matter of taste I suppose and some like the 'one pedal' driving experience   .But its not really  one pedal, you may still need to remember to use the brakes.   ;)
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

guest9814

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2022, 09:26:54 PM »
Never used B
I saving energy by not using regenerative braking if i can coast instead, on long descend roads or when i need soon stop car on red traffic light  i keeping accelerator slightly depressed (balancing accelerator in place where power flow lines changes from green to blue and back to green) i can keep car mooving without using battery energy at all.
Regenerative braking never will be efficient 100% so maybe 30% of kinetic energy we losing on heat in motor, inverter and battery.
Saving on brake pads and disk can actualy  end up in they replacement too soon.
We need to use them from time to time just to keep them in good condition.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2022, 11:07:30 PM »
I saving energy by not using regenerative braking if i can coast instead, on long descend roads or when i need soon stop car on red traffic light  i keeping accelerator slightly depressed (balancing accelerator in place where power flow lines changes from green to blue and back to green) i can keep car mooving without using battery energy at all.

Have you actually tried using the technique as described, but in ‘B’ mode, it’s what I do all the time.
Have just come home from my daughters home, roughly a  10 mile journey and my consumption for the trip worked out at 88.8 mpg, I am convinced that I could not have reached that sort of figure in ‘D’ mode.
I accept that this figure includes a number of downhill stretches, but as posted elsewhere my average over 11,000 miles is in the high 60s, virtually all of it in ‘B’ mode.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2022, 09:15:28 AM »
D or B.  Lift off early, loose speed gradually with mild regeneration over a greater distance or lift off late with more aggressive retardation and increased regeneration over a shorter distance.  It all amounts to pretty much the same level of energy captured. 

It's one of the things where there is no right or wrong, it all boils down to your preferred driving style.

Happy motoring everybody.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2022, 11:06:31 AM »
D or B.  Lift off early, loose speed gradually with mild regeneration over a greater distance

This is simply not an option in busy urban traffic if you don't want to annoy your fellow road users.
In a city like ours (not even that big) you could try it between 3AM and 5AM.  :D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2022, 01:49:12 PM »
D or B.  Lift off early, loose speed gradually with mild regeneration over a greater distance
This is simply not an option in busy urban traffic if you don't want to annoy your fellow road users.
You'd love following me  :D
Neil Ives

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »

I saving energy by not using regenerative braking if i can coast instead[/quote]

How do you coast in an automatic?  Coasting implies holding the clutch in or being in neutral.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2022, 04:55:04 PM »
You'd love following me  :D

I think I'm lucky that I live roughly 1500 km (1000 mi) east of you...  :D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
The simple thing to remember is, ANY use of the brakes is wasted energy/petrol and I would suggest that you would, without question use the brakes more in ‘D’ mode, than ‘B’ mode.

guest9814

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2022, 05:51:10 PM »

I saving energy by not using regenerative braking if i can coast instead

How do you coast in an automatic?  Coasting implies holding the clutch in or being in neutral.
[/quote]

keeping accelerator slightly depressed (balancing accelerator in place where power flow lines on instrument cluster changes from green to blue and back to green)
The moment when blue lines changes to green  when you releasing carefully accelerator pedal is moment when there is no cosumption at all or consumption is wery small maybe 0.5kw regeneration - in this moment you coasting, after you learning how to do this  you can do that without thinking abou it too much.

guest9814

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »

keeping accelerator slightly depressed (balancing accelerator in place where power flow lines on instrument cluster changes from green to blue and back to green)
The moment when blue lines changes to green  when you releasing carefully accelerator pedal is moment when there is no cosumption at all or consumption is very small maybe 0.5kw regeneration - in this moment you coasting, after you learning how to do this  you can do that without thinking abou it too much.
[/quote]

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »
I thought B was only for travelling down steep hills. Don’t know any. My mileage less than 2,400 coming up for first year at end of month.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2022, 01:33:44 PM »
My Jazz is the first car for many years that doesn't have a manual gearbox. Using B is pretty much like using over-run on a manual gearbox. Take your foot off the gas and the car looses speed more rapidly than when using D. It feels more natural to me.
Neil Ives

Tags: