Author Topic: Honda Car Insurance  (Read 34746 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Honda Car Insurance
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2023, 11:16:32 AM »

Maybe  the IAM or some other road safety organisations   could have a 'wrinklies club'  where older but enthusiastically active   drivers  could  demonstrate they still justify   lower insurance premiums with amenable selected companies.

Yes. I'm with you on that one.
Your comment about police ordering retests, Some Police forces already give drivers the option of taking a test, as an alternative to prosecution.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2023, 11:50:26 AM »
Several years ago a motoring organisation carried out a survey asking the question "Do you, as a driver, consider yourself average, above average or below average?".  Around 80% said that they considered themselves above average.  Do the math!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2023, 12:58:49 PM »
Perhaps this data https://www.verkeersnet.nl/blogs/20988/zijn-hoogbejaarde-automobilisten-een-gevaar-op-de-weg/?gdpr=deny from the Netherlands puts our "dangerous age" somewhat into perspective:

"In the period 2011-2015, the number of drivers in the 18-24 age group who died in an accident they caused themselves was more than three times higher than among drivers in the 80-plus age group (see figure 2). Among the counterparty, 18-24-year-old drivers even cause five times more deaths than very elderly drivers."

"But those who drive little...

Sometimes very elderly motorists (aged 80 and older) are the cause of a fatal accident. Is this group a road hazard? The answer is nuanced. The chance that the over-80s themselves die in an accident caused by them or that others die as a result is the highest per kilometer driven. However, they are more "a danger to themselves" than "a danger to others." The situation for young people (18-24 years) is in fact more problematic. Three times more young people than the over-80s die as the cause of a fatal accident, and young people cause five times as many fatalities among the counterparty. All headlines, blogs and letters to the editor that focus on the elderly as the cause of a fatal accident can give a distorted picture."

Of course, all this does not alter the fact that we are a "risk group". The moment you no longer really trust yourself behind the wheel: stop!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 01:06:04 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2023, 07:49:12 PM »
There are more fatalities among older drivers not because of their driving but because of the frailty of their bodies. An impact that breaks a hip in a younger driver could lead to a spell in hospital but in an older driver could lead to sepsis/heart failure/pneumonia and ultimately cause their death.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2023, 08:43:33 PM »
Back to insurance cost, Martin Lewis (in the UK) reckons that best time to get a quote is around 23 days before your insurance is due to lapse. The nearer you get to lapse date, the higher the quotes get on the assumption you will be more desperate to buy.

+Our analysis of over 70 million quotes from the four biggest comparison sites – Compare The Market, Confused.com, Gocompare and MoneySupermarket – showed a policy costs an average of £1,198 a year on renewal day. But 23 days earlier the average is just £694 a year, a MASSIVE £504 difference.

In general, the closer to your renewal date you get quotes, the more of a risk you're deemed to be (we've heard that it can show insurers you're a bit disorganised). But getting quotes too early, for example, 28+ days out, can also push the average price up – likely as fewer insurers will provide quotes that early.
Unquote

Job title can affect a lot, but that doesn't help if your title is retired!  ;D

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2023, 09:13:16 PM »
Back to insurance cost, Martin Lewis (in the UK) reckons that best time to get a quote is around 23 days before your insurance is due to lapse. The nearer you get to lapse date, the higher the quotes get on the assumption you will be more desperate to buy.

+Our analysis of over 70 million quotes from the four biggest comparison sites – Compare The Market, Confused.com, Gocompare and MoneySupermarket – showed a policy costs an average of £1,198 a year on renewal day. But 23 days earlier the average is just £694 a year, a MASSIVE £504 difference.

In general, the closer to your renewal date you get quotes, the more of a risk you're deemed to be (we've heard that it can show insurers you're a bit disorganised). But getting quotes too early, for example, 28+ days out, can also push the average price up – likely as fewer insurers will provide quotes that early.
Unquote

See my reply No26 on this post, it proves exactly what 5thcivic is saying :o

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2023, 09:50:25 PM »

Unquote

See my reply No26 on this post, it proves exactly what 5thcivic is saying :o
Have also checked with Avviva, they have an age limit of 84 max, :(

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2023, 10:59:17 PM »
I'm looking at your island from mainland Europe and see (in my opinion) very strange things going on in terms of insurance costs. When I read this:

Unquote
then I think the name of one website describes the situation exactly: Confused.com.
Although.... MoneySupermarket is also a nice indication of the situation, but ends in second place...

Just to compare: On 29.08.2021 we paid €569 (= £503) for full comprehensive insurance with all the bells and whistles.
Since we went abroad on holiday from mid-August to the second week of September 2022, exactly the same insurance was already renewed on 27.07.2022. Note: 33 days before the renewal date. We paid €576 (= £509). Yes...more expensive than a year earlier. A difference of a whopping €7 (or about £6).
And it wouldn't have made a penny of difference if we had renewed a month later...
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2023, 08:32:06 AM »
At the moment I feel OK driving, very early 70's,  but I do find night driving not as easy as it was so I avoid unfamiliar routes in the dark.
That describes me  :) In addition to cataracts developing but not bad enough to justify medical intervention there's the general problem that eyes get slower to adjust to changing lighting conditions.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2023, 03:06:32 PM »
Just got my renewal quote for my little sports car, due in 3 weeks time, and it's £40 less than last year so I'll stick to that (less than £180 FC with RAC). Also got the renewal for my breakdown cover (Aviva = RAC) , personal European cover (any vehicle including motorcycles) and it's exactly the same as last year £99, so that'll be a yes too.
This can't continue ..........

jamjar

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2023, 07:25:32 PM »
Hi all, Can anyone suggest which company gives the cheapest insurance quote for their MK4 Jazz/Crosstar?

For people still searching for quotes, Moneysupermarket price matches any quotations & gives you a £20 gift voucher as well as matching a cheaper quote.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2023, 10:36:30 AM »
Finally got there in the end with my existing Insurance company, (NFU).
Just had the renewal notice come in and with a little it of negotiation have paid £687.15.
I just don't understand how some of the comparison sites, can come up with figures as high as £1900 for the same cover, obviously they just don't want the business.
As it turned out the figure I paid was in fact the lowest of any quote received and I am satisfied.

Quite obviously, age is the problem, but having said that I note that Jazzick's graph gives an accident rate for +80 year old drivers, as equal to 30-34 year old drivers. Are these younger drivers paying these exorbitant rates?
Or is it just the UK insurance market that come up with deals like 5thCivic quoted, ie prices which depend on the validity of the quote time ?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »
NFU won't touch my postcode. Greater London.

After I move to outer Reading I may qualify.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2023, 11:32:59 AM »
When I was hunting for renewal NFU were the most ridiculously expensive quote I had.
It just goes to show, the insurance companies make it up as they go!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2023, 11:34:28 AM »

Quite obviously, age is the problem, but having said that I note that Jazzick's graph gives an accident rate for +80 year old drivers, as equal to 30-34 year old drivers. Are these younger drivers paying these exorbitant rates?

Jazzicks figures are for death rates.  Youngsters are more likely to die/kill others  because they drive too fast etc.     Older drivers are more likely to be involved in collisions  less likely to involve death, but still expensive crash repairs.  And are more risk per Kilometer driven.    Some insurers may be prepared to  give older drivers the same premium , if for  instance their being say  twice as likely to have crash is balanced  balanced against them only driving half as many miles. But of course higher mileage drivers often clock most miles on comparatively safe motorways. The occasional short trip to the  supermarket   is comparatively high risk per mile  , of a minor but expensive crunch.  Not all drivers fit the stereotype for their age but  insurers  tend to generalise. They may be more likely to keep an individuals premiums low if you have been  with them for many years, claim free, with a declared annual milage highh enough to  suggest you are a regular and  competent driver.. But less willing to take on a new older customer of unknown ability apart from a NCB.  (which are easy enough to earn if you dont use the car much)   

If we leave aside the possibility the insurers are taking the opportunity of ripping off older drivers   there is probably a good  reason why they will only offer cover at a higher premium,  or not at all.     Otherwise they would be only too happy to attract low risk drivers.     
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 11:42:25 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: