Author Topic: Honda Car Insurance  (Read 34373 times)

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Honda Car Insurance
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2024, 04:54:26 PM »
Just had my renewal from Tesco Car Insurance for my MK4. It's gone from £303 last year to £525 this year. I've done a bit of Meerkatting etc and it's the cheapest available so I'll stick with them.

I was expecting worse - I've heard some real horror stories - but it's still north of a 60% increase.

Just by the by, I am an avid watcher of Motorway Cops, Police Interceptors etc. They often ask for evidence of insurance. Since I went paperless (mistake?) I wouldn't have the first idea how to show the boys in blue proof of insurance. As a minimum you would need your insurance number and one of many passwords to open up the email attachment.
You don't need to, if your car is insured it's on their database and they can see in seconds. The ANPR system can also quickly alert them to cars that have no insurance

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2024, 05:35:21 PM »
Since I went paperless (mistake?) I wouldn't have the first idea how to show the boys in blue proof of insurance.

Make a PDF or JPG of the insurance document and have a copy on your phone, or print it off. Being a 'belt and braces' guy I do both.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2024, 05:51:01 PM »

Just by the by, I am an avid watcher of Motorway Cops, Police Interceptors etc. They often ask for evidence of insurance. Since I went paperless (mistake?) I wouldn't have the first idea how to show the boys in blue proof of insurance. As a minimum you would need your insurance number and one of many passwords to open up the email attachment.
Paperless renewals let you print your own  certificate  and/or  save it on your phone .  But as these (and MOT's  certificates )could easily be photoshopped and forged the police probably  check on line. Even members of the public can check if a car is currently insured,MOT'd and Taxed.   They might ask for proof if a driver insists they are insured when the computer says NO.  Or to meet the expectations of  TV viewers. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2024, 07:28:56 PM »

You don't need to worry. Insurance proof is via an online database (askMID.com), just like MoT and VED. The TV police will have done that check off-camera and are asking in case there are extenuating circumstances, eg insurance bought recently, database not yet updated, or perhaps the driver has "may drive any car" insurance.

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2024, 07:34:08 PM »
I can confirm the APNR system does work very well. I was a passenger in a car 200 miles from home on a quiet village road. We got pulled over after passing a parked police car. The officer stopped just up the road and went to the driver and asked him if he was Mr C. Which he confirmed and the look on his face in bewilderment was priceless being so far from home. I wish I’d had my phone out. They told him he wasn’t insured which he was adamant that his wife had just renewed it.So we could finish the journey they asked me my name and car reg and within minutes via ANPR it confirmed I was insured and I could drive his car the rest of the way on third party insurance. Turns out he had renewed his insurance but had to phone his wife to sort it with the company and why it wasn’t showing and send his details through and he had to call into local police station to sort it the next day and he wouldn’t have any penalty. I don’t know how he drove his Freelander for ten years. The clutch was so hard and agricultural I was knackered after just that last 49 miles I did!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2024, 11:29:31 AM »
[

Hi Guys, just an update to the above.
Last march I paid £687 plus in July a further £134 when I changed to my present Mk4 Advance.
Have just been on the Quotezone website to see what current rates are for my insurance, due end of March

Their cheapest quote was £2698!!!!!! even with upping the excess to £1000) :o :o

I say again, are they trying to wipe us oldies off the roads???
Having never had an accident in over 65 years that was my fault and my last claim was in 2015 (a rear end shunt by some woman on the school run) (protected NCD anyway) I can only conclude that my age is the problem.
I will be 87 just before the renewal date, still driving circa 8000 miles per year.
For me, driving is a passion and if I were to stop, then you might as well shoot me!!

Would there be any point in taking the Advanced Driving Test, as a means of getting the costs down? (I'm already a member of GEM)
I haven't received my renewal notice yet, but I have to say I'm not looking forward to it. >:( >:( >:(

Checked this morning with the Meerkats, the cheapest quote was £1833 with RAC, but still almost 3 times what I paid last year. The only difference is I'm 1 year older and the Reg No on the car has changed (though still the same model)
Someone suggested going via a broker, might be a good idea, there are a couple locally and maybe a face to face contact might be better.
The insurance is not due until the end of March, so there is still time for some sanity to return! :-X

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2024, 12:32:32 PM »

Would there be any point in taking the Advanced Driving Test, as a means of getting the costs down? (I'm already a member of GEM)
I haven't received my renewal notice yet, but I have to say I'm not looking forward to it. >:( >:( >:(
I passed the IAM test in 1979  in my 20's.  It didnt bring the hoped for reduction in insurance at the time . One or two offered a small discount  but I still found cheaper elsewhere  -    I did some comparison searches yesterday and I think the meerkats asked if I had passed the IAM test. So maybe some companies do still offer some advantage..  I said yes but I dont know if it helped.    If you can pass the test at 86 it should certainly be rewarded,but I wouldnt hold your breath.    ;D

BTW in the end I renewed with my existing insurer. I could have  saved a few quid on some quotes  but the policies were pared down to  'essentials' and the level of continental cover was inadequate for my needs.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2024, 08:29:18 PM »
Checked this morning with the Meerkats, the cheapest quote was £1833 with RAC, but still almost 3 times what I paid last year. The only difference is I'm 1 year older and the Reg No on the car has changed (though still the same model)
Someone suggested going via a broker, might be a good idea, there are a couple locally and maybe a face to face contact might be better.
The insurance is not due until the end of March, so there is still time for some sanity to return! :-X

Received my renewal quote today from my current insurers.
The quote has gone up 33% compared to last year, to circa £1150, no change to details, just 1 year older. (87).
Checked again with several comparison sites (including the Meerkats). the cheapest quote is now over £2000, so it looks as though I will be staying with my existing company, although I have yet to investigate going through a broker. Watch this space!!!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2024, 10:11:02 AM »
Well guys, I have now bit the bullet and renewed my insurance, for my 23 plate Advance Jazz,  with my existing company (NFU) for £1267. The only difference to the previous year was, 21 plate EX,  1 year older (87) and one of the additional drivers now has a speeding ticket!
I realise that my age and also the fact that the car is only a few months old, has a significant effect on the premium, also mileage it set at 9000 miles..

I have checked with several of the comparison websites and also tried a broker.
The cheapest quote was from Confused.com at £1687.90, over £400 extra, with some companies quoting silly money £4000+ !!!

Not so many years ago, older drivers were considered to be the safest, what has changed? As I said in a previous post, I have been driving nearly 70 years, without an accident that was my fault, last claim 2015 (rear end shunt) protected NCB.

Anyway rant over, better start saving for next years renewal, if I’m still around???

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2024, 11:48:42 PM »
Hi,
here's a cost comparison from New Zealand
Our 2021 Honda Jazz hybrid (I think it is equivalent to the UK jazz model that is almost the top model) cost the sum of GBP 400 in November 2023 to insure for 12 months.
The cost of insurance was driven up by some unexpected severe floods in Jan/Feb 2023 that took out a large number of cars (NZ is a risky place for re-insurers due to earthquakes and severe weather events).
Paul

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2024, 07:34:47 AM »
Hi,
here's a cost comparison from New Zealand
Our 2021 Honda Jazz hybrid (I think it is equivalent to the UK jazz model that is almost the top model) cost the sum of GBP 400 in November 2023 to insure for 12 months.
The cost of insurance was driven up by some unexpected severe floods in Jan/Feb 2023 that took out a large number of cars (NZ is a risky place for re-insurers due to earthquakes and severe weather events).
Paul

Some drivers can still insure a mk 4 for under £400  in the UK.  .  Its very much a post code lottery. And your age if relatively young or old. Costs can be much higher if you live in certain Towns and cities and urban conurbations.   with even a small adjacent postcode district within the same town  sometimes having a significant  price hike for no obvious reason.Similar local crime levels,you drive the  same city streets  a few hundred metres from home   but you may be paying a penalty because some of your neighbours made more claims  than usual - It wouldnt take many unrepairable EV's or stolen Range Rovers  to affect your   small local area  statistics .
Your occupation can raise the cost. "Retired" is fairly low risk  as are nurses, but apparently hospital consultant surgeons are considered a high risk  :o  Competent to operate, but not to drive?    Crazy. 

I think uk  Insurance still has to includes at least the minimum  cover in the European Union countries, whether you use it or not.   I pay a bit extra as I need  better  cover in  Europe. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 07:46:59 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2024, 08:12:01 AM »
When I moved from a UB postcode to a RG one my insurance halved, but is now back to my old London level
Let's be careful out there !

corbett

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2024, 06:41:15 PM »
Just had the renewal for my 22y Jazz Elegance.
is through LV insurance.
is for fully comp, I am 69 years old  with 10years plus no claims.
last years cost was £268. This year £350, approx 30% increase on last years.
Not complaining though looking at some of the figures being bandied about on this forum.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2024, 02:12:05 PM »
Not so many years ago, older drivers were considered to be the safest, what has changed? As I said in a previous post, I have been driving nearly 70 years, without an accident that was my fault, last claim 2015 (rear end shunt) protected NCB.
A good question for which I have some possible answers:

1. The average vehicle has become more powerful and faster. Older folk may know how to drive safely allowing for their slower reactions but far too many other drivers don't drive appropriately for the conditions and cause prangs.
2. The risk of medical incidents increases with age and thus the cost of insuring that age group. (I have to wonder if more frequent and thorough medical tests are needed.)
3. I get the impression that most of the incidents of people driving through shop windows or similar incidents are elderly (with fading brain selecting forwards instead of reverse).
4. Perhaps the insurers are also factoring in the likelihood of older folk being less able to operate their car using a touchscreen than youngsters.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2024, 03:42:25 PM »
My father only learned to drive in his  40's  and on retirement only used the car to tour various supermarkets trying to save  a few Pennies  on the cost of milk ,at the cost of 10 times as much in petrol.  .  (Remarkably my mum learned to drive in her 60's, passed her test then seldom drove again ) .  During the few miles they did drive  they were probably quite a  high insurance risk.  :o   I WALK between supermarkets to save 5P on milk  :P

But i started  riding a motorbike on my 16th birthday, and driving a  car on my 17th birthday. I'm now 70 .  I still drive about 12K miles a year in various countries.    (8 K in the Jazz ,4K in another car )  I still think I am a competent and safe driver,better than most ,  but if I'm honest with myself  not quite as good as I was in my prime.  (Institute of advanced motorists)  I have never made an insurance claim.

There are now more like me and fewer like my dad.  Presumably  pensioners are now regarded as main stream car users, but with reduced faculties.   Low mileage pensioners  are no longer being given the same discounts.    But insurance is never fair. You pay a premium for your postcode, age, Job etc, based on statistics,  not your actual risk level. (which for some of us may be an advantage   ;) )   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 03:48:51 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags:

anything