Author Topic: Jazz wont start, showing both D and P on selector. Lockout?  (Read 1628 times)

guest7463

Jazz wont start, showing both D and P on selector. Lockout?
« on: February 04, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
Hi, a new, strange and very frustrating fault on my 2004 Jazz 1.4 SE CVT 7. Hope someone knows this one!

Last week the serpentine belt started squeeling so parked it up until we could get a new belt and time to fit it. When I tried to start it yesterday (before fitting the new belt) it wouldn't start, didn't even try to turn over or anything. Plenty of power in the almost new battery, lights are good etc and tried it with a heavy duty jump starter too but no difference so it's not the battery or connections which are nice and tight. There is only a click from the engine bay. I stuck my ODB2 tester on it but it's showing no codes at all. Also tried both original ignition keys.We then noticed that both the P and D lights are both showing on the gear selector indicator even though it's in Park. I tried going up and down the gear selector a few times and also tried the gear lock facility (next to the selector) but no joy so I assume that the car thinks that I'm trying to start it in Drive and is stopping it starting.
Help! Any suggestions or advice would be very gratefully received.
Thanks.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
Re: Jazz wont start, showing both D and P on selector. Lockout?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Firstly have you a handbook? Probably not but if you have there might be  a piece on this situation.
I have a MK2 with I shift which in certain circumstances can be a pig with not selecting gears and access to the online workshop manual covers fault finding with gearboxes and the selector. I have no knowledge of the CVT box but have fallen foul of the Ishift when I didn't follow the correct procedure. I believe there is an online workshop manual for the MK1 which should have a section on fault finding.
I am sure Jocko could help with the online manual reference, I am sure it has come up recently

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
Welcome. Here is the online manual.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html

Think this is the page you want.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/M2/SAA2EM2E15100000000HBAT00.HTML

My car is manual, so I can offer no other advice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:45:57 AM by Jocko »

guest7463

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
Thanks Jocko and auntyneddy

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
You're welcome. Be sure and let us know how it works out.

Tags:

anything