Author Topic: Low petrol warning light  (Read 7711 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Low petrol warning light
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:48:10 PM »
Found myself out on a wing and a prayer today in wildest Scotland. The low juice light came on, and I spent around half an hour with fingers crossed tryng to find a petrol station. Amazingly, I found one!   However, got me thinking, how many miles roughly would I have got with the light on before the car conked out?
And ... does the light flash when it gets right near the end (as it did on my previous car) or, is the solid light the only warning I will get?

guest5589

Re: Low petrol warning light
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »
I think it comes on around when there are approx 7 litres in tank and remains solid throughout.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:05:52 AM »
Filling up when the warning first comes on, I can only put ~34 litres in a 42 litre tank, it may vary for other cars.
So a reserve of 7 litres is 1.75 gallons (imperial) x 40 mpg giving 70 miles, although I wouldn't like to do much more than 30 miles with the light on, as the chance of temporary cut out is probably much greater and can't be good for it.
Have not seen the light do anything more than stay steady amber.
--
TG

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 05:46:26 AM »
Can confirm I've done 60 miles on E out of necessity after forgetting my wallet. Town driving and very light on the throttle..
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:54 AM »
Found myself out on a wing and a prayer today in wildest Scotland. The low juice light came on, and I spent around half an hour with fingers crossed tryng to find a petrol station. Amazingly, I found one!   However, got me thinking, how many miles roughly would I have got with the light on before the car conked out?
And ... does the light flash when it gets right near the end (as it did on my previous car) or, is the solid light the only warning I will get?

The only time I ever let my tank get lower than half full is when I am around home area and know where the fuel stations are,  when I am traveling (have been to Scotland many times) I will always look for a station at about half full,  because you never know when the next one will appear. Also notice that many fuel stations have or are closing down so even if you rely on satnav or similar,  when you get there the station has a security fence round it  and windows boarded. (or more usually these days 10 houses built on the site LOL)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »
You should get another 30 miles + when the light first comes on, maybe less at M speed. The key is to anticipate before the warning light as stated by culzean.
Petrol stations in South Lakes also becoming a rare species
Some owners seem to  enjoy the how may miles left option running on 0 miles  before refilling, not recommended.

Tags:

anything