Author Topic: Emergency: how open bonnet when can’t get into car  (Read 1195 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Emergency: how open bonnet when can’t get into car
« on: June 29, 2023, 08:21:34 AM »
My lad is using our 2005 Jazz for work.

He removed the battery to charge it in his house but clearly can’t now unlock the car to open the bonnet to put the battery back in.

Any clues how to open the bonnet from outside or enter the car without the key working?

The key doesn’t work in the door lock mechanically. I told him to get that fixed and he didn’t.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Emergency: how open bonnet when can’t get into car
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 09:39:28 AM »
Yes it can be done but you need a technique.
First off is there a spare key?
If not you need to be able to see the bonnet release between the bonnet and the grill , slide a thin screwdriver a push against the lever, ideally you should be pulling. I've found a thin metal prob best but the force need to be on the end .
Other possibility see how much movement there is in the grill and remove it there easy to replace then get at the lever.
Finally a piece of wood thin enough to get between bonnet lip and top of the grill press down on the grill edge again to see the release lever.
If you were local I'd come around to assist.
Take your time & find the spare key before starting the pressing and pushing

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 12:57:32 PM »
Any chance of getting into the car via the boot?      Also might it be possible to access the engine compartment from underneath enough to somehow get a jump lead or some other wire  connected to the live battery lead  thats dangling?  plus another wire connected to the bodywork.  Then by connecting these leads to the car battery  you might be able to power up the car just enough for the key to unlock it.  No idea if it would be possible   Just an idea, at your own risk.     
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »
Thanks both.

The first problem is that something is wrong with the driver's door mechanical locking mechanism. Inserting the key just doesn't unlock the car, unfortunately, and I don't know if there's another keyhole on the car, but I don't remember there being one. This has been an outstanding problem which I told him to get fixed last year. Now the cows have come home to roost and he is up the river without leg to stand on.

In the end, he opted to break a window as he really needed to get to work to complete a 2 week job and get paid. He as got a replacement lined up for the window but it is £100 plus VAT supplied and fitted. Expensive lesson but one I hope he learns.

And he still needs to get that door lock fixed and also get a replacement second key as the remote on that is kaput.

Thanks again for the help.

Tags:

anything