Author Topic: Wheel Spacers  (Read 3221 times)

3reggy

Wheel Spacers
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
Hello All
Has anyone fitted wheel spacers on their Jazz ?
I was thinking 5mm on the rear only ??

Take care out there
John

guest2162

• Topic Starter
Re: Wheel Spacers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
Never a good idea on any car. If you space out the standard wheels, you do impose a little more load on the wheel bearings.

Sometimes done to fit wheels that have the wrong offset and would foul something. This might not increase the wheel bearing load but both reasons also have the problem that the stud load in greatly increased as normally the wheel is held to the hub by the studs. This means some of the load is taken by the wheel/hub joint.

If that was not bad enough, you also run into the problem of remaining stud length. In other words, when you put the wheel nut on, the last few threads are in air, not clasping a stud. Engineering wise, a threads engaged length of 1.5 times the bolt diameter is a good figure to aim for, but does vary a bit with the type of threadform and the steel grade of nut and bolt.

Plenty of folk have got away with it over the years, but I wouldn't.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
All the above is true, but in practice if there is enough thread to engage on the wheel nuts then you should get way with 5mm.

Also ensure the centre hole in the wheel locates onto the hub. The wheel nuts / studs are there to clamp the wheel on not locate it.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
yes i have install one on my jazz,
just dont get any higher that 5mm.
i have use 3mm on fron
no problem whatsoever,
thanks

Tags: