Author Topic: Front suspension drop links  (Read 2224 times)

100K+

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Front suspension drop links
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »
I need a new N/S drop link as the current on is starting to rattle over uneven surfaces. Are the genuine Honda ones the way to go, or are there recommended "copy" items? I don't recognise either manufacturers of the links sold by ECP - Starline or Moog.
Cheers
Bob

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Front suspension drop links
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »
My expereince of non OEM drop links is :
they are subject to stress and cheap ones wear quicly. Buy a recognised brand only...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 04:01:53 PM »
I fitted Moog to mine, 3 years and 30,000 miles ago. They cost £24. Be aware, there are two different versions (different angle between offsets) so, if you order on line, check you get the right version.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:00:19 AM by Jocko »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:35:22 PM »
Yes, as Jocko says there are two different types, and they are also sided - so there are 4 different ones in all.

I fitted a Borg & Beck (Firstline) motor factor part to ours a few years ago, and it's been fine - cost was less than £10.

Avoid the no-name ebay ones, they are junk. If you want the best aftermarket, buy Delphi - but they are around £15-20 each.

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »
whatever you do dont go to a main dealer £130 honda main dealer in plymouth!!! told  the dust cap had come off failed mot  not covered under warranty no pay no mot and told if i take the car away full cost of mot will be charged, paid up as caught between rock and hard shoulder honda did not want to know, argued the point of warranty with dealer they offer £260 off a new jazz if i bought one told them to get st***d
presentley going through warranty ombudsman for return of £130 as to drop links  get any from GSF and do the job yourself

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:18:36 AM »
I've just fitted QH brand (also known as Quinton Hazell) to my civic, no problems, they were £11 each and are sold on Ebay by Motor World. They are listing mk1 Jazz ones at £8.99 at the moment, I don't know which mk Jazz you have. I've also used Borg & Beck parts in the past (though not drop links) and found them to be excellent too.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
Yes, as Jocko says there are two different types, and they are also sided - so there are 4 different ones in all.

I fitted a Borg & Beck (Firstline) motor factor part to ours a few years ago, and it's been fine - cost was less than £10.

Avoid the no-name ebay ones, they are junk. If you want the best aftermarket, buy Delphi - but they are around £15-20 each.

Changed the price on my original post. It was £24 for both, not per side.

100K+

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
Many thanks for the quick replies. Interesting point about the two different types per side.... is it an engine size choice or what?. What is the selection method?? Back in the day I ran Renaults and I always had issues with brake parts, but once you knew if they were Bendix or Girling things were clear.
This selection appears to be using the force.....
Car is a 2006 1.2S (1246cc)
Cheers
Bob
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:38:01 PM by 100K+ »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:56:55 PM »
I too have a 2006, 56 plate 1.2S and the Moog part numbers that fitted were HO-LS-8967 and HO-LS-8968. The motor factor originally gave me the wrong parts according to their computer system.
I once had a Peugeot 504 and the parts for that were a nightmare. The parts department told me that the strikes in France at the time meant that Peugeot would run out of one manufacturers parts, so change to another for the duration of the strike. So you really had to look at the part before buying a replacement.

100K+

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:50 PM »
Thanks for the part numbers, ECP codes don't match them but its a good check when I actually get them to see if the boxes have them listed.
Cheers
Bob.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »
I was actually a delivery driver for the motor factor, at the time, so it was easily sorted out. It was just the inconvenience of not getting the job done at first attempt.

ECP use their own product code, hence the difference in number. The ones they show look like the first set I got.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
I put cheap ebay ones on mine as Eurocarparts cheapest ones lasted about a year and half.

So far had no problems. Been on about 8months.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
Many thanks for the quick replies. Interesting point about the two different types per side.... is it an engine size choice or what?. What is the selection method??

Not 100% sure but I think they changed over 2004, there were a few other suspension tweaks at the time. The early ones have the two balljoints at a roughly 90° offset, the late ones are set just off straight.

Tags: