Author Topic: Clunking noise when setting off  (Read 13816 times)

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Clunking noise when setting off
« on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
For several months now there has been a clanking noise from the engine bay/front suspension when setting off from stationary. I have also noticed that it is possible to rock the engine forward and backwards slightly.

Could this be a faulty engine/ gearbox mount?

Car is 18 months old and 10k miles. Manual gearbox.

Is this worth getting looked at under warranty or wait till September for its next service.

(It's the wife's car so I don't drive it much and she is not bothered by it)

Thanks

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Clunking noise when setting off
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
An unusual noise indicates a problem, anyone's guess if it is dangerous. Cars don't mend themselves and it will only get worse. If it was my car it would have been fixed months ago. Your call.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:08:07 PM by Deeps »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »
Get the car to the dealers as soon as possible, it is still under warranty and may have a serious, possibly dangerous fault even it has been present for months.
It is the sensible, responsible thing to do.

Vic.

Paulwhitt20

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
 Yes you are both right I should get it looked at. Not used to my Honda's needing to be fixed.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
Please let us know what the problem is (or was).

IJ

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Mk3 Jazz EX Navi Manual
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
Ours developed a creaking noise when pulling away from a standstill. I asked the garage to investigate when it went in for its first service, mentioning that it sounded to me like a noisy engine mounting. "Most unlikely, I've never known one fail in my fourteen years here" said the man. A faulty gearbox mounting was diagnosed, a new one ordered and subsequently fitted. Noise gone, and smoother gearchanges as a bonus.

Gerred

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK3
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
My Jazz has the same problem. I will go to dealer soon. This issue is also known in the USA. There is a topic on fitfreak: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/94249-gk-mtx-clutch-transmission-clicking-noise-long-rant.html

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »
For several months now there has been a clanking noise from the engine bay/front suspension when setting off from stationary.
Ours developed a creaking noise when pulling away from a standstill.
My Jazz has the same problem.
Me too. I would describe the noise as a creak or groan, rather than a rattle or clunk, that occurred when lifting the clutch to move off. Diagnosis and outcome was the same as described by others, replacement of a "transmission mount" under warranty. Never had to have one of those replaced before on any car, let alone one around 20 months old with only 12000 miles. Quite disappointing.

Paulwhitt20

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
IJ. Can you describe what was wrong with the gear change when you had this problem.

Ours goes into gear okay but the gear stick feels clunky and noisy when selecting a new gear. It doesn't feel like a slick gearbox like you used to get on a Honda. 

(I'm used to a CVT so having to wave a stick about to change gear is a bit alien to me anyway.) it's the wife's car but I'm driving it on holiday at the moment.

IJ

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Mk3 Jazz EX Navi Manual
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »
IJ. Can you describe what was wrong with the gear change when you had this problem.

I wouldn't say there was anything actually wrong with it, more that the new mounting made it a little more forgiving of any slight lack of coordination of throttle/clutch/gear lever. I still find it a fairly direct set up though, which rewards precise coordination.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
Put the noise/fault in writing to the dealer , even a copy of your email should help with any future warranty claim. Hope they can solve/confirm all is well.

Gerred

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK3
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »
Any updates on this ? on fitfreak forums one user says that you just have to tighten the engine mount bolts and the noise will go away.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/94249-gk-mtx-clutch-transmission-clicking-noise-long-rant-5.html#post1386778
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:49:20 AM by Gerred »

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
I sometimes get a clunk when my handbrake is taken off - very intermittent. Any ideas if same thing?

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
Any updates on this ? on fitfreak forums one user says that you just have to tighten the engine mount bolts and the noise will go away.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/94249-gk-mtx-clutch-transmission-clicking-noise-long-rant-5.html#post1386778
Thanks for posting that link, very interesting reading. The video posted by Westie on Sept 2016 in that thread (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/94249-gk-mtx-clutch-transmission-clicking-noise-long-rant.html#post1354678 ) is exactly the noise I had/have. As described earlier in this thread (Aug 2nd 2017) I had a transmission mount replaced under warranty which seemed to fix it, but over the last few months it’s gradually come back. So another dealer visit will be needed, I have a few months warranty left. I’m not anxious to find out what Honda’s attitude will be to a defect they have been unable to fix during the warranty period. Bit surprised no-one else on here has reported it ?

BTW I’m not impressed by the idea that I need to keep re-tightening the engine mounts !

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
As described earlier in this thread (Aug 2nd 2017) I had a transmission mount replaced under warranty which seemed to fix it, but over the last few months it’s gradually come back. So another dealer visit will be needed
Well now. It’s been back to the dealer, and they have again diagnosed the noise as coming from the transmission mount ... the same one that they replaced in August last year. Latest wheeze is to swap the mount with one from a car that they believe doesn’t have the problem to try to work out whether the mount itself is faulty. We’ll see, but I am not impressed. Perhaps I need to switch this thread into the one about the Mk 3 ruining Honda’s reputation.

Tags:

anything