Author Topic: Another "Which" 1st for the Jazz.  (Read 27202 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Another "Which" 1st for the Jazz.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2024, 05:28:26 PM »
I'm very happy with the Jazz but the Clio Alpine Esprit looks like it could be a worthy rival.  Perhaps not so good at using practical space (lowish roof for rear passengers, big lip on the boot) and not such a good rear view.  The quoted MPG though is higher than the Jazz.  I see your average MPG, like mine, is at 70, higher than the quoted figure from Honda. It might be that the Clio will reward light-footed drivers with even better than 70mpg.
I have got the impression that Honda engineers design the vehicles and program the ECUs to give what they think is the best overall performance and then the vehicles are put through the WLTP testing almost as an afterthought. In contrast, I think the European manufacturers design the vehicles and program the ECUs to give the best WLTP results (remember dieselgate?). 

However, in the context of the above comment, if the Clio has less rear seat headroom than the Jazz then it should also have a lower drag factor and better mpg in the faster WLTP test cycles. The overall WLTP mpg of the Jazz and my HR-V is pulled down by the relatively poor mpg in the extra-high (>70mph) test cycle. Boxy-shaped vehicles aren't the best motorway cruisers.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2024, 05:43:43 PM »
There's about £3000 to £4000 difference in price between the Clio hybrid and the Jazz. The Toyota Yaris seems to be similar price to the Clio, maybe a bit more expensive depending on which model you get. The Mazda 2 hybrid which is a rebadged Yaris is priced similar to the Jazz which is a bit odd, £3333 just for the Mazda badge! The Mazda in bronze is nice though.  The Clio gives you a choice of six colours compared to four for the Jazz.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2024, 08:23:09 PM »
Best small car according to What Car Awards Jan 2024 is Renault Clio, here's what they say about the Jazz:
"the Clio undercuts most of its rivals on price- particularly the Jazz, our previous class favourite, which remains a fine car but is hindered by the fact that it's now very expensive to buy by class standards"
It's worth noting that the article compares the petrol Clio with the hybrid Jazz.  It would have been better for them to have compared the more expensive hybrid version of the Clio. (The Alpine Esprit looks quite interesting with very good fuel economy and a 2-electric motors + ICE set up, seemingly similar to the hybrid Jazz.)

Having had all Renaults previous to the Jazz, I wanted to look at the Alpine... but for love nor money I couldn't get one for a test drive. My dealer said there was only 2 demo vehicles available at the time between all branches (Right car) and they were having trouble getting one. I noted that at the time, some reviews put the Clio better than the Jazz. I had narrowed it down to the Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz and the Clio (out of brand loyalty, as I was determined to go hybrid. I will never know how the Clio compared, but I don't regret buying the Jazz.
I'm very happy with the Jazz but the Clio Alpine Esprit looks like it could be a worthy rival.  Perhaps not so good at using practical space (lowish roof for rear passengers, big lip on the boot) and not such a good rear view.  The quoted MPG though is higher than the Jazz.  I see your average MPG, like mine, is at 70, higher than the quoted figure from Honda. It might be that the Clio will reward light-footed drivers with even better than 70mpg.

The car I traded in for the Jazz, was a Clio. A TCE100 engine model. Prior to it, we had 3 Capturs. When we came to change the last Captur, they had redesigned it and gone the route of most SUVs by making it bigger. Too big for us, so we went for the Clio. It was a great car. Economical, nippy, comfortable, looked good (Valencia orange, and as CB72 says in another post.. a better choice of colours across the range) and had a reasonable amount of room, but not as much as the Jazz.
However, we decided our next car would be something we would keep for the duration, something for the long term. We wanted to go the hybrid route, and although I would have liked to try the Clio Alpine... in hindsight I don't think it would have had the longevity of a Honda. The reliability long term, the resale value and technology of the Honda I think would outlive the Renault for the time we are thinking of keeping this car.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 10:24:42 AM »
Following the issues I had with my second 2022 Crosstar (detailed previously) and rejecting it within a month. I went for a HRV sport ( second one that I had owned and a good car). Come last September I was looking to purchase a Jazz Advance Sport but what put me off was the extortionate price (nearly 30K).
Went and test drove a 5th gen Clio etch hybrid. Immediately negotiated and placed order for a Clio eSpirit Alpine.
After driving and purchasing Honda cars for the last 20 odd years this was a big decision to move away from the brand.
Had the Clio now for four months, I must say I am really pleased with it.
The only drawback is the lack of rear space and visibility is not as good as the Jazz.
Economy is good.
Acceleration is far better than the Jazz without the mooing sounds under hard acceleration.
Driving in B mode regeneration takes a bit of getting used to as it feels more aggressive than the Jazz.
Steering feeling is more positive in the Clio.
Infotainment system is by far better in the Clio being simple to use and navigation has built in speed camera alerts.
The “my sense system” is first class and simple to set up and use.
Interior material quality and seating is far superior in the Clio and you get height adjustable passenger seat which is sadly lacking in the Jazz.
Have I had any issues with the car ??
Yes, one.
Whistle from air conditioning/pollen filter.
Apparently not fitted properly during manufacture. Took the dealer 10 minutes to refit, with no issue since.
Car came with 3 year’s warranty (with some mileage restrictions).
3 years free servicing.
3 years Renault Assistance via RAC. This however is not as good as it first seems and is not as good as the cover provided by Honda. as to cover breakdown other than a manufacturer part failure you need to take out an additional RAC cover for roadside assistance for such things as punctures etc.
Which I only found out when hitting a pothole. (Extra cover £70).
Would I purchase a Jazz in the future.
Maybe yes but not at the current unjustifiable cost difference.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 12:08:29 PM »
One of the arguments regarding high Honda retail price is high part ex value, particularly if against another Honda. This would mitigate some of the higher retail. Did you get a good part ex against a Renault , compared with a Honda ? I am of course assuming this is what you did.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2024, 12:17:54 PM »
'Acceleration is far better than the Jazz'

Fact:

Dutch: VERGELIJK HONDA JAZZ - RENAULT CLIO - English: COMPARE HONDA JAZZ - RENAULT CLIO

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (62 mph):

Clio Hybrid 145 Esprit Alpine: 9,3 seconds          Jazz 1.5 Hybrid Advance Sport: 9,4 seconds

Source: https://www.autoweek.nl/auto/vergelijk/107010-107527/  (Google translate is your best friend).

Indeed.... quite a difference, no less than one tenth of a second! Far better... :D

And I really prefer that 'mooing' of the Jazz under hard acceleration to the hesitating, complicated gearbox of the Clio.
Try taking a roundabout, without the Clio hesitating which of the 14 possible gears to choose... one of my reasons for abandoning the Clio Hybrid (140 Initiale Paris) after a test drive two and a half years ago.

Economy is maybe good, but according to Spritmonitor https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ not quite as good as the Jazz.

On the other hand: both the exterior and interior look very good, it really is a beautiful car. But we are still very satisfied with our Jazz (apart from that non-height adjustable passenger seat... :() and it will stay with us for some time. Will the successor be a Jazz again...? No idea. We'll think about that in a few years, maybe we'll look at an EV?

If nothing goes right, go left!

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2024, 12:29:43 PM »
'Acceleration is far better than the Jazz'

Fact:

Dutch: VERGELIJK HONDA JAZZ - RENAULT CLIO - English: COMPARE HONDA JAZZ - RENAULT CLIO

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (62 mph):

Clio Hybrid 145 Esprit Alpine: 9,3 seconds          Jazz 1.5 Hybrid Advance Sport: 9,4 seconds

Source: https://www.autoweek.nl/auto/vergelijk/107010-107527/  (Google translate is your best friend).

Indeed.... quite a difference, no less than one tenth of a second! Far better... :D

And I really prefer that 'mooing' of the Jazz under hard acceleration to the hesitating, complicated gearbox of the Clio.
Try taking a roundabout, without the Clio hesitating which of the 14 possible gears to choose... one of my reasons for abandoning the Clio Hybrid (140 Initiale Paris) after a test drive two and a half years ago.

Economy is maybe good, but according to Spritmonitor https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ not quite as good as the Jazz.

On the other hand: both the exterior and interior look very good, it really is a beautiful car. But we are still very satisfied with our Jazz (apart from that non-height adjustable passenger seat... :() and it will stay with us for some time. Will the successor be a Jazz again...? No idea. We'll think about that in a few years, maybe we'll look at an EV?

No issues with gearbox and traffic islands in the new Clio eSpirit Alpine. Repeat far smoother acceleration without the mooing and waiting for acceleration.
Having owned 2 Crosstars there is currently a big difference.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 12:38:35 PM by NoelM »

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 01:46:24 PM »
Nice to have comparison between the Jazz and the Clio by a user. What is the comparison of the infotainment systems and the built-in satnav? Also the safety systems.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2024, 02:56:30 PM »
I went for a HRV sport ( second one that I had owned and a good car).

...What gen HR-V was that?

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2024, 03:16:01 PM »
Nice to have comparison between the Jazz and the Clio by a user. What is the comparison of the infotainment systems and the built-in satnav? Also the safety systems.

I assume its the same set up as pre-hybrid Clio/Renault. Tom Tom is Renault default and a better sat nav than the Garmin, but I find the infotainment better in the Jazz.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2024, 05:19:01 PM »
This is my first Honda. I have been a longtime VW driver until they drove me away with ridiculous "quality".

I have done some "research" before deciding on a Jazz and I think, that Honda makes better ( = more durable ) cars than VW or other european manufacturers. Wheras VW seems to build cars in a way that they survive the manufacturer's warranty but not much more!

The TÜV's (that is the german MOT) statistics prove Honda cars to be more reliable than european brands as well, especially when the cars get older. I've never leased a car yet and usually keep them longer than 6 years so reliability carries much weight with my buying decision.   (ymmv)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2024, 09:32:32 PM »
Nice to see another win for the Jazz. Well earned I would suggest.

Mind you, as others have commented, the wee Jazz has become a very expensive car.
This is my first Honda. I have been a longtime VW driver until they drove me away with ridiculous "quality".
Yeah, VAG stopped nailing cars together with care a couple of decades ago. Nice badges, styling and interiors, however the oily bits have proven to be very poor indeed. Only for the brave imho.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 10:29:50 AM »
Its not just VAG, or indeed just cars. Many respected brand names have  rested on their laurels for years  , charging a premium price for  a  reputation they may have earned over  60   years ago .Even then they  may just have been slightly better than a bad bunch.     Honda's reputation for engineering excellence may be justified.  But many rivals have also improved.    Mercedes  also took their eye off the ball and went through a reliability rough patch. 

Management and cost accountants  who try to maximise  a premium price while at the same time saving a few bucks by lowering production quality and  specifications  can ruin a company.  They may try a few clever tricks by creating a special new brand name  for their  premium products  .  Lexus is just a Toyota in a party frock, Cupra Born is just a VW  etc.(as are Audi etc)  They may have a few extra luxuries and bells and whistles   but basically its just badge engineering snob appeal.    ;D

Some brands are literally no longer what they were , having been sold to India, China etc  - Volvo, Jaguar/Landrover, MG etc. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 01:40:38 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 03:31:47 PM »
I was told management decided the marketing department took over from the engineers at Mercedes years ago who decided the balance sheet could be improved by saving on quality control, putting pressure on suppliers leading to cheaper made, less long lasting parts, and thus the inevitable loss of a reliable image - that did their reputation a whole lot of good in the long term. For example the old w124 would drive for ever (easy 300,000 miles plus) and was dead easy to service with over engineered parts throughout, that's when the engineers were in charge. I hope the Honda engineers are still in charge!!!

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 03:41:33 PM »
In the UK we have a significant increase in car tax if the new car price is above 40k. If this level stays the same, just like not indexing our personal tax allowances for years has led to large increases in our tax by stealth, then cars like the Jazz will be so called "luxury" cars in the not too distant future!

Tags: