Author Topic: Avon ZV7 update  (Read 1947 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
Avon ZV7 update
« on: November 12, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Back in 2016, I had 4 new Avon ZV7 tyres fitted, replacing three 7.5 year old UniRoyal Rallye 550 and a single 6.5 year old Continental Contact Premium 2 tyre.  The Conti was suffering from cracks at the base of two of the three grooves.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8345.0

Today, 57 Jazz passed MoT with an advisory on all 4 Avon tyres.

On close inspection, all four tyres had cracks in the inner most grooves.  Two tyres had cracks running along entire circumference of the tyre on different axles.  The other two not so bad.

Photo of Nearside Rear tyre attached.  Not as bad as the Conti from 2016.

Total mileage on these ZV7s in just over 3 years is 2.5k miles as this car is only used as a runabout.

I found the Avons to be far too hard, perhaps because the side walls are so stiff.  Roads are getting worse and the ZV7 did nothing to help absorb the bumps.   The ZV7 does have lighter steering and fuel economy seems better on long motorway runs compared to previous UniRoyals.

Update:  All 4 Avons made in Serbia.

Update 2:  Four UniRoyal Rainsport 3 185/55 15H tyres fitted.  First impressions are they are not as soft and the car doesn't lean when cornering when compared to the UniRoyal Rallye 550 tyres used upto 2016.  The Rallye tyres also exhibited heavier steering which is not evident with the RainSports.

I will report back on how the Rainsports compared to Avons in a few months time.  I've always found the ride with the Avons to be diabolically hard over the colder winter months.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:22:42 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
Re: Avon ZV7 update
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »
I know you said that they were new tyres, just as a matter of interest have a look on the side wall of the tyre for the date of manufacturer it is normally after the word DOT. The tyres could have been on the shelves for a long time.

https://images.tirebuyer.com/visual-aids/pages/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires/determine-age-of-tires-2.jpg

Ben

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
Had Avon ZV7 on Civic for about 3 years now,  only used in summer as I swap to steels and Nokian WR-D3 for winter,  have to say the Avons are probably the grippiest tyres I have ever had, and the stiffer sidewalls help handling,  really inspire confidence and the steering is great.  Her indoors has Avon ZT5 on 175/65R15 on her MK2 ( ditched the 16" wheels ) and no problems yet  - again only used in summer as she also has steels and Nokian..

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
Date codes 2016, 2116, 2116, 2716.   Originally fitted early July 2016 so I don't think they've been sitting on shelves for excessively long time before ATS fitted them. 

Googling suggests other ZV7 owners have seen cracking problems on tyres only a year old.

Worth a read
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1760479
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:33:11 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
This article indicates that lack of use can cause tyre cracking ( and it is a problem in stored vehicles ),  as when tyres move the chemicals warm up and move close to surface which prevents cracks....

Maybe another reason ultra-low mileage cars are sometimes not such a bargain, maybe the same thing happens to the rubber in engine mounts and suspension / subframe bushes.

https://itstillruns.com/prevent-tires-weather-cracking-7564957.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:38:09 PM »
Had 4 Avons on the mk1 Jazz when we bought it, the front two were scrubbed on the insides and replaced immediately, the rears developed the same cracks in the roots - probably about the same age. Car did plenty of regular miles, so no standing about. After the nearside tyre also developed scalloping on the inside tread due to wheelbearing failure, both were replaced along with the bearing.

Those circumference cracks in the root of the tread are nasty. You see it more often on Chinese tyres, rather than European ones.

Tags:

anything