Author Topic: Starting scare.  (Read 756 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Starting scare.
« on: November 05, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
Yesterday,as we set off for mu wife's chemo session, I came to bring the car out of the garage and got a bit of a scare. The car normally starts first time, every time, irrespective of the weather. That is why I have the confidence to switch off at long traffic lights.
However, yesterday the car started, but after a couple of chugs, died (I do not touch the throttle when I start it). The same happened when I tried to start it again and due to the importance of the trip I started thinking about taxis and the RAC. The third time I caught it with the throttle, it cleared, and I brought of out of the garage. After closing and locking the garage door it started okay and continued to do so all day.
Now I have read here of people having similar issues after quick start, stop, restart, and it dawned on me that the day before I had moved the car about 10 feet to get the driver's door out of the garage, so I could access the boot, then moved it the 10 feet back in again. That must leave fuel in the manifold, which leads to flooding at the next start, because that seemed to be my issue.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Starting scare.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
It can leave the spark plugs wet but normally it won't fire at all.   Most (all?) modern cars have a function where if you floor the accelerator and try to start they cut the fuel off to allow the plugs to dry then release the pedal and it'll start.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Starting scare.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »
That would have been my next step. Regularly had to do that with old carburettor set ups.

Tags:

anything