Author Topic: usb port  (Read 10047 times)

Miles Right

• Approved Member
usb port
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

New owner here of Ex model.  Does anyone know why there is an 'adaptor' to use the usb port?  Why can't we just plug our memory sticks into the port?  Seems strange to me!
Any thoughts please.

thanks

miles

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: usb port
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »
The shape of the socket in the console is wrong for a USB connector, for a start.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:05:15 PM »
No idea, but it's common on other makes too, such as the new VW Golf.

guest986

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:36 PM »
Yes I noticed that on the new Golf as well. Don't know why they do it - seems silly.

Some makes do have standard USB sockets - I know the Hyundai i30 does for example.

guest959

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:11 PM »
I have an October GE EX Jazz that came with an adaptor cable in the small glove compartment.
This has one end to fit the socket on the car and a standard USB on the other.
Hope this helps.

Miles Right

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »
Thanks to all
But......
1 What sort of thing plugs direclty inot the port if you don't use an adaptor?
2 Why not put the 'adaptor' connection inside the car so only the usb can be plugged in?
It does seem rather strange arragement.  I have asked Honda to comment as their brochure clearly shows a 'standard' ipod pluged into the car!

Any further thoughts from your good selves would be interresting to hear.

Miles

guest238

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:33:35 PM »
/\ I'm interest myself. As said, the Hyundai i30 uses a standard USB port so why not Honda?

Cynically, one would say it's so that Honda can charge extra for a non-standard connection lead.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
The price list for the new VW Polo (sorry) shows various different cables depending on if you are connecting an iPod, USB Mp3/memory stick or a mini-USB (for mobile phones?). This I suggest is the reason for the apparent 'non-USB' USB port on the Jazz.

I don't understand why you need a speical iPod cable to connect an iPod. Why not just use the USB-to-iPod cable supplied with your iPod?

guest986

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
But it would be just as easy to provide a standard USB socket in the car, and then have adaptors to go from USB to all of those other proprietary connector types?

In fact, most devices with a proprietary connector type will be supplied with a USB cable for connection to a computer, so in theory you wouldn't need any special adaptor cables at all if the car had a standard USB socket.

ThomP

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
I wondered about this too. The only reason I can think of is to protect the socket from:

1) Heavy USB equipment that might break it
2) The wear caused by plugging and unplugging

I don't know if it is mounted in plastic or metal behind the dash board, but if it's mounted in plastic it would probably break easily if used as a regular USB socket with frequent plugging and unplugging.
Storm Silver Metallic rules:)

guest1010

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
That makes sense. From my experience repairing computers USB sockets are easily damaged. I'd rather buy a new cable than have to replace an in-car socket. Possibly Honda put a bit more thought into it.

guest1105

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
The cable makes it easy to stash a usb stick (whu) out of sight, and makes it easier to position away from the heater.
PS don't use micro sd cards they get too warm and stop working with the heater on!

Tags:

anything