Author Topic: Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car  (Read 11591 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car
« on: January 28, 2021, 02:57:51 PM »
I took my Mother in Law for her vaccination in Harrogate on Tuesday. She is 78 and disabled, so I had to wait in a disabled spot for her to come out, which gave me a prime spot for seeing all the arrivals and departures. Given the target audience for the vaccine, 90 out of every 100 drivers was probably elderly.

The proportion of Honda, and specifically Honda Jazz drivers was quite noticeable. Also a lot of brand new Mark 4 Jazzes too. This is a relatively affluent area and there was also a lot of what I would call posh cars.

The main thing I noticed about these older drivers was how poor their driving was, specifically...
- road positioning - gaps too small or too large
- ability to judge how to turn into a parking spot
- parking in general
- posture and level of comfort in the driving position
- overall impression of confidence on the road
- aggression - battle to get disabled spots
- amazingly, ability to come to a halt in the general vicinity of the volunteer directing them in

When my father in law died, for many reasons, we took my mother in law's car away and sold it. I can't imagine what might have happened had she attempted to remain driving. I have to say some of the individuals I saw on Tuesday should take a good long look at themselves, their need for a car and their safety behind the wheel.

North Yorkshire is a rural area and I can understand why people want to hang on to their cars. But North Yorkshire is also quite a tricky place to drive at the best of times, with narrow, steep, windy roads, hump back bridges, really fast sections and in normal times, tons of weekend drivers.

Also, I decided the new Jazz Mark 4 looks quite bland and the colours are uninspiring. I feel it really needs an early life refresh, something doing with the grille design, and some jolly colours.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Honda Jazz perception as an old person's car
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
As a 72 year old I am interested in your observations Richard. My own view is that we do need some form of retesting. There was a programme about 100 year old drivers a few years ago where either a ROSPA or IAM tester took elderly drivers out and assessed their driving. Some of the driving was truly awful but, and this indicates why testing rather than age should be the guide, there were drivers in their late 90s who were passed as competent and others maybe 20 years younger who the testers thought should consider giving up.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »
Yeah don't get me wrong. The large majority of them seemed fine but at least one in four, if I was in charge, I would take to one side and get them assessed, or get their eyesight tested or something.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
I would be happy to be re-tested when I'm older, say about 75, let's face it if you're not in control of your car you could kill someone.

I did say to my daughter when I'm older if you think I'm driving dangerously then tell me.

She said don't worry dad............I will !!
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 04:28:28 PM »
I agree with all of the above comments.
What I do find is a lot of younger drivers are very poor at road craft.
Positional driving, use of indicators, swinging to the right to be able to turn left. Poor use of the steering wheel, only using 12 to 9 instead of pushing and pulling the wheel between 12 and 6. All basic stuff, I wonder if it is taught now a days?
Also your comment about the Jazz colour palette. Skyride blue was probably the best MK3 colour. The MK4 crosstar has a similar colour.
The best Jazz colours were definitely the MK1. IMHO.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 04:50:28 PM »
As I have said previously, I booked an hour with a driving instructor, IAM RoadSmart assessor, before turning 70. I will be 73 this summer and will have to re-apply for my licence, so I will do the same again. And each and every licence renewal until I am told to give up. Either by the driving instructor or the all-powerful up in the sky.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »
I agree with all of the above. @Richardfrost you make some great observations. Excellent post!  :D

People forget that driving a Honda Jazz at the national speed limit means you are in control of a +1000kg lump of steel covering 105 ft per second. I see some drivers that are so frail, I seriously question their motor skills allowing them to safely drive.

I am not the usual Jazz driver. Big bloke, long beard listening to heavy metal ! Stereotype broken  8)
I do sometimes listen to Radio 4, unless it is Saturday afternoon, then Radio 3 World Music problem is always on.

Bring on the 10yr driving test for all. I'll take mine tomorrow.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Poor parking - just go to any supermarket car spaces & relax as drivers if huge bloated SUVs attack the tarmac.
Most driving situations revolve around poor position, little if any anticipation, lack of reading the road.
And yes as Driver of over 70 years I treat other drivers as xxxxx dangers.
Finally just spare a thought for those people at the vaccination venue who have been self isolating for 10 months , aligning your Jazz may not be upper most in your mind.
And there we are today.......

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 10:11:20 AM »
And there we are today.......

Good luck, hope all goes well.

It's not parked that are a danger, it's the moving ones - and not just old drivers. I was parked up in Asda once, minding my own business while the other half was in the shop. Some youngish lass reversed straight into the back of me - it's a good job I didn't have my tongue out!

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 10:49:00 AM »
So my turn to take my mum to do the vaccine. Guess what a Jazz is at the carpark. But this lady parked it nicely. After reading this thread, I thought I drive my Ibiza instead of the Jazz in case people think I m matured...lol!

I must say I do like the MK4 as it's more similar to the MK2. For some reason, the MK3 never did it for me- either it was not radical enough nor too similar to MK2. That said, I did drive my ex pupil's one when you needed help to buy a car and it's a very desirable car-but just doesn't do it for me.

In terms of colours, manufacturer are limiting choices. For the new Sandero, there is 3 shades of grey/silver? I was thinking Marketing Dept are watching too much 50 Shades Of Grey!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:50:06 AM by 123Drive! »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »
A friend of mine said years ago "Beware of drivers wearing hats".  It has proven to be true.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 12:17:41 PM »
A friend of mine said years ago "Beware of drivers wearing hats".  It has proven to be true.

I resent that. You are showing baldy bias. 8)

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 02:36:14 PM »

I resent that. You are showing baldy bias. 8)

You beat me to it. I do actually keep a £5 raffia trilby from Matalan on view in the back of my car as a sort warning to people who want to drive too close behind me the I might do something random.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
I do actually keep a £5 raffia trilby from Matalan on view in the back of my car
I used to do the same, so my ex could find the car when it was parked. To her, one blue car looked like any other.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 05:06:19 PM »

A Thomas the Tank Engine theme for an Ad video for the Jazz

Tags: