Author Topic: Honda to stop selling diesels  (Read 6030 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Honda to stop selling diesels
« on: October 19, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
In the 'Times 'today, Honda are to stop selling diesels with immediate effect, they will sell whatever dealers have in stock however. They are to concentrate on their electric and hybrid models. No surprise there then.

Vic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Honda to stop selling diesels
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »
Never owned a diesel in my life.

Yes they were cheaper to run for long journeys but the additional servicing cost partially wiped that out.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 02:42:47 PM »
Never owned a diesel in my life.

Yes they were cheaper to run for long journeys but the additional servicing cost partially wiped that out.

A lot of diesels were just used for shopping and school run..... they did make sense for drivers with a pretty high annual mileage,  but not for school run cars.   The truth is government prioritised Co2 over everything else,  even though car industry and anyone with a bit of knowledge knew that diesels were awful for NOx,  which is far worse for people than Co2 - and car makers cynically covered up the bad emissions from diesels,  both particulates ( which contribute to melting of ice caps ) and Nox.    The Japs upset the EU industry way back when they said the 'from an emissions point of view, Diesel is a dead end technology' . Unlike the European motor industry that hitched their wagon to the Diesel engine the Japanese were reluctant makers of Diesel engines and preferred to make petrol engines more efficient and hybrids...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 03:31:05 PM »
I have owned three diesels, all Peugeots, when diesel was considerably cheaper than petrol and I was doing seventy mile round trips a day to get to/from work. The first was in 1985 when diesel cars were comparatively rare and it was quite usual to pull in for fuel and have the cashier shout to you that you putting diesel in.
The government soon realised that they were missing out on fuel tax and soon made the diesel an uneconomic proposition unless you were doing very high mileages.
It can't be long before they miss the fuel tax on electric vehicles and put road tax on them. The government will be looking for ways to recover the cost of Covid 19 soon and three obvious targets are road tax, fuel tax and insurance tax all of which affect the road user and put the price of everything up.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »
I would slap an "emissions levy" on fuel, priced so that it disproportionately hits diesel but will also improve the financial case for vehicle owners to move towards hybrid or full electric. The car industry is already moving in the right direction but there's little sign of vans and lorries making the move. Long distance lorries may have to wait for hydrogen fuel cells but higher fuel costs may encourage rethinking of business models which involve moving goods all around the country. However, there's no reason for vans, which seem to be proliferating due to increased home delivery of everything, to not move to lower emissions power. And for anyone who whinges about the increased fuel cost I would point out that it can be easily offset by dropping their speed. Perhaps it's time to bring back the 1974 speed limits http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/15/newsid_2559000/2559807.stm in order to reduce emissions.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 04:32:07 PM »
I used to deliver garage parts in a diesel van and my daily mileage could have easily been accomplished with a BEV.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »
I'll be sorry to see diesels go, although I fully understand and accept the reasoning behind it, I prefer the way they drive, always plenty power as you pull out of a bend at low revs, always good mpg.
I've owned 6 petrol cars and 4 diesels, got one of each at the moment, I'm all for making electric and hybrid cars another viable alternative for those that they suit, that can only be a good thing, but they're not ideal for everyone or every journey.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 06:35:34 AM »
I do a lot of walking.

I hate diesel exhaust fumes.. especially when the engines are cold.
Glad to see them eventually go in cars.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »
I do a lot of walking.

I hate diesel exhaust fumes.. especially when the engines are cold.
Glad to see them eventually go in cars.
I've been doing a lot of cycling and notice the same. I'll be happier (and probably healthier) when there aren't any diesel vehicles, small or big, on the roads.

It also appears that Honda have just brought forward the phase-out that was announced in 2019 https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/honda-ditch-diesel-europe-2021 which is probably tied in to closure of the Swindon plant which makes the 1.6 litre diesel engine. As demand for diesel is shrinking while the vehicle market itself is in the doldrums then it makes commercial sense to stop the diesel production a bit sooner.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:11:19 PM »
I would slap an "emissions levy" on fuel, priced so that it disproportionately hits diesel but will also improve the financial case for vehicle owners to move towards hybrid or full electric.

That might force me back to a petrol doing half to two thirds the mpg, there are many diesel owners who will not be able to afford an EV or hybrid petrol. We don't all drive new cars. That would increase my CO2 emissions considerably, but what about diesel particulates? The vast majority of vehicular particulate pollution comes from tyres, road surfaces and brake friction materials, and not modern diesel exhausts - tyres alone can produce over 1,000 times the particulates per km than a regulated diesel car exhaust.

I'm not anti-EV, far from it, but there has to be an accessible option for those who can't afford new cars. I'm a firm believer that the biggest contribution to reducing air pollution, and of course congestion, would be the adoption of comprehensive, comfortable and affordable mass transit systems, similar to those found in many European countries.

Cheap trains, trams and good quality buses - we are years behind the rest of the developed world.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 07:07:10 AM »
I'm a firm believer that the biggest contribution to reducing air pollution, and of course congestion, would be the adoption of comprehensive, comfortable and affordable mass transit systems, similar to those found in many European countries.

Cheap trains, trams and good quality buses - we are years behind the rest of the developed world.
Except we are now being told not to use public transport.

I think the best way to reduce vehicle emissions is to increase the duty on fuel and so restrict miles driven by price. I would hate that to happen but it would work. I wouldn't go shopping three times a week if it cost me £10 a shot.
That or some other method of monitoring miles covered and charge accordingly.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
Before I retired I used to drive home via the M25, junctions 10 to 15. Chertsey to Heathrow.

My direction was fairly clear but the anti-clock carriageway was stationary, nose to tail, from junction 11 (M3), right back to junction 14, Heathrow terminal 5, Thu & Fri, back to junction 15 and beyond.

I guessed these were the same drivers who were happy to do this every day and not try and seek out a better route.

That must have been a pollution hotspot.
Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »
I'm a firm believer that the biggest contribution to reducing air pollution, and of course congestion, would be the adoption of comprehensive, comfortable and affordable mass transit systems, similar to those found in many European countries.

Except we are now being told not to use public transport.

Yes, granted. I'm not thinking about the current situation at all, but more of a long term solution.

The question is, when all the current woes are over, will the behavioural changes towards public transport be baked in? Will people trust going back to using public transport, or stick to their cars? One thing I do know, UK roads won't support the growth in private cars and road transport for much longer.

I think the best way to reduce vehicle emissions is to increase the duty on fuel and so restrict miles driven by price. I would hate that to happen but it would work. I wouldn't go shopping three times a week if it cost me £10 a shot.
That or some other method of monitoring miles covered and charge accordingly.

That's the key, reducing the miles driven. It's pointless changing the fuel source, when the majority of harmful car emissions don't come from the exhaust. The choice is whether that's done by carrot (an attractive alternative) or stick (increased taxation), or a combination of the two.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:12:06 PM by sparky Paul »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »
That's the key, reducing the miles driven. It's pointless changing the fuel source, when the majority of harmful car emissions don't come from the exhaust. The choice is whether that's done by carrot (an attractive alternative) or stick (increased taxation), or a combination of the two.
I'm sure that when life gets to the new normal there will be more people working from home which will reduce the amount of commuting. There will also be a permanent shift in shopping habits although the reduced car mileage will be partly offset by more delivery vans dashing around.

Higher fuel costs might encourage people to drive more economically which will have a significant positive impact on the transport carbon footprint. However, there would need to be an awareness campaign (starring Jocko?) supporting any fuel price increase to alert people that a less aggressive driving style can offset any fuel cost increase and benefit the environment.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »
Perhaps it's time to bring back the 1974 speed limits http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/15/newsid_2559000/2559807.stm in order to reduce emissions.

To be honest, I think there is a lot of sense in this. The difference in emissions produced at 60mph v 80mph is massive. This where modern diesels are too good. My Jazz at 60 is a relatively relaxing place to be, but at 80, its a frantic buzz box. A long legged diesel with 6 gears however, will sit at 80 all day long without feeling remotely busy or stressed. Bring in a lower speed limit, and emissions will fall. A lot more patrol cars to enforce would be very welcome.

Tags:

anything