Author Topic: Hybrid Engine Type  (Read 1814 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Hybrid Engine Type
« on: September 20, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
What engine goes in the MK4 hybrid Jazz ?

Is it the existing direct injection 1.5 engine out of the MK3 ?

Is it the 1.3 engine from the MK3 with port injection (Atkinson cycle) and a bigger bore or stroke to make it a 1.5 ?

Or is it a new engine designed for the MK4 hybrid Jazz ?
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:51:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Hybrid Engine Type
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:51:12 PM »
Unfortunately, neither of those links answer the questions in the original post.
According to Wiki, it uses the 1.5 L LEB-H5 Atkinson cycle DOHC 16 valve.
Displacement: 1.5 L; 91.4 cu in (1,497 cc)
Bore x Stroke: 73 mm × 89.4 mm (2.87 in × 3.52 in)
Power: 132 PS (97 kW; 130 hp) / 6,600 rpm
Torque: 15.9 kg⋅m (156 N⋅m; 115 lbf⋅ft) / 4,600 rpm

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »
The engine No. in my Crosstar starts with "LEB8" which is consistent with the info at https://www.autodata1.com/en/car/honda/jazz/jazz-iv-crosstar-15-i-mmd-109-hp-ehev-e-cvt .

The engine is Atkinson cycle to give better economy. Under most driving conditions the lower torque arising from the Atkinson cycle is irrelevant as the motor, powered by the battery as well as the engine, provides impressive torque and acceleration (I discovered on one of my first trips results that flooring the accelerator (something I've previously needed to do to get my CVT Honda to quickly accelerate) results in the vehicle taking off like a scalded cat and since then I've been less heavy with the right foot. I haven't explored the engine's maximum power. Perhaps climbing some long steep hill at the legal speed limit would fully test the engine as the battery would soon stop making a contribution.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:03 AM »
Perhaps climbing some long steep hill at the legal speed limit would fully test the engine as the battery would soon stop making a contribution.
When I do this in my RAV4 Hybrid (long drive to Whitby across the NY Moors, and actually everytime I drive up the hill to my home) both the battery and engine drive the wheels and the engine also charges the battery all the way. This may be different to Honda though as my engine is 2.5l so has a fair bit more surplus power on tap.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 08:01:54 PM »
The engine No. in my Crosstar starts with "LEB8" which is consistent with the info at https://www.autodata1.com/en/car/honda/jazz/jazz-iv-crosstar-15-i-mmd-109-hp-ehev-e-cvt .

The engine is Atkinson cycle to give better economy. Under most driving conditions the lower torque arising from the Atkinson cycle is irrelevant as the motor, powered by the battery as well as the engine, provides impressive torque and acceleration (I discovered on one of my first trips results that flooring the accelerator (something I've previously needed to do to get my CVT Honda to quickly accelerate) results in the vehicle taking off like a scalded cat and since then I've been less heavy with the right foot. I haven't explored the engine's maximum power. Perhaps climbing some long steep hill at the legal speed limit would fully test the engine as the battery would soon stop making a contribution.
I did a steep hill climb (5% average) last Sunday, but not too fast, and even if was short as 7km (4.3mile), the battery depleted very quickly, and stayed at 2 bars for almost the whole climb.
I've noticed that the engine did not rev up a lot like Toyota does and the electric motor was very reactive even in that case, which made the climb very pleasant.

Tags:

anything