Author Topic: Car service interval  (Read 9660 times)

guest5938

Car service interval
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »
My Mk3 Jazz has just completed 11998 miles. I can get it serviced this weekend when the mileage will be 12260 approx (earlier than required 12500 miles) or next weekend at around 12700 miles (later than required 12500 miles).

When should I get it serviced ? If I cross 12500 then will it affects warranty ? Is there anything given in Honda documents on this?  Please let me know your opinions.

My car is 10 month old.

Thanks

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Re: Car service interval
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:24 PM »
Get it done whenever it is most convenient to you. You can't be expected to get it done at exactly 12500 miles so are allowed some leeway. My guess is about 500 miles. Just book it in for when you want and don't worry about it.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
I don't think it will make any difference. I've been driving Hondas since the last century and have exceeded the interval on several occasions without comment. My second Civic I think I went past by a nearly a thousand miles as I forgot to book the service before I went on a European tour, lol. Then again having owned nothing but Hondas for so long I can honestly say I've never had to try and claim on the warranty. The current infotainment issues are annoying but that's more down to Pioneer who make the unit I believe. In any case the mechanicals are what matter and I have the utmost faith in their reliability.

The only problem with Hondas are that if you do need something fixing out of warranty (and I once needed a window rubber replacing, and more recently a front bumper replaced) the parts are painfully expensive  :o

guest6316

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »
Play it safe my friend, get it done within the specified mileage your only talking 200 miles anyway.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »
Just had the first service done, no problems, as it should be.
While waiting I was having a look at all the cars on display and looked under the bonnet and inside the petrol cap cover on the Jazz and I see they are now painting them body colour, does that mean I can get mine painted free of charge by Honda!!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »
Mine is all painted body colour apart from the centre of the bulkhead behind the engine.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
I used to do 1000 miles a week, but I had to book services about 5 weeks in advance to get the day that suited me, so occassionally I mis-timed it a bit, and going 1000 miles over was not an issue, and didn't invalidate the warranty.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »

When should I get it serviced ? If I cross 12500 then will it affects warranty ? Is there anything given in Honda documents on this?  Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks

I bought my Mk 2 Jazz with 8,000 miles on the clock, when it was 18 months old, but it had not had a service at 12 months. Honda dealer said warranty would be fine.

Not quite the same as your question, but I would expect the tolerance is much more than 500 miles before warranty is affected, IMHO.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
My Toyota handbook gave +/- 1000 miles. I have not seen anything definitive about Honda.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
Yes - going back to my VW it was a month or 1,000 over but there doesn't seem to be anything laid down for the Jazz. Mine reaches 3rd birthday at the end of the month so guess it won't be relevant after that although I am pretty conscientious about getting things done on time.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
Yes - going back to my VW it was a month or 1,000 over...

We have a Golf in the family and it had awkardly short 10K miles service interval.  I was told there's nothing written down about about being late but VW were flexible within warranty,  however if looking for goodwill out of warranty they were absolutely rigid about it - a day or a mile over and they will refuse goodwill.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56:53 AM »
I have just checked current VW regulations re service intervals and you are right, there is nothing written down.

But the one month or 1,000 miles thing definitely rings a bell. I wonder if things have changed generally in relation to this hence no mention in the Jazz warranty. The Golf I had came with an extended VW used car warranty but I am going back to 2008.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Yes - going back to my VW it was a month or 1,000 over...

We have a Golf in the family and it had awkardly short 10K miles service interval.  I was told there's nothing written down about about being late but VW were flexible within warranty,  however if looking for goodwill out of warranty they were absolutely rigid about it - a day or a mile over and they will refuse goodwill.

When it comes warranties the manufacturer makes the rules, I think it is best to stay within them if you want their help.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
BMW (especially motorbikes) are losing sales in USA and it seems that is also down to Americans fed up with short service intervals and expensive service costs. Jap motorbike (and car) makes offer much better value for money and lower running costs.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
I've just stumbled across this Honda UK document http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/used/extended-guarantee/_jcr_content/par1/richtextcolumn_800/par/richtextdownload_138/file.res/Extension%20to%20Manufacturer's%20Warranty.pdf which states "Undertake all Services within 30 days or 750 miles of the time or mileage stipulated in the Service Book".  While not completely relevant to the initial question here, it would be good guidance in the event of any argument with a dealer (or Honda itself).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything