Author Topic: Possibly improved CVT behaviour  (Read 2529 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Possibly improved CVT behaviour
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:59:19 PM »
I've noticed recently that my CVT box seems to be responding more like an Mk2. Less 'banding' and easier for me to choose the ratio I want (3,000 rpm accelerating). This seemed to start when my Jazz reached 3,000 miles on the clock. I wonder if some kind of extended 'run-in' period has expired?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Possibly improved CVT behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:06:54 AM »
We have long hypothesised that the ECU allows more flexible operation as the miles are accrued. However, I think there will always be some preferred rpm operating ranges if only because programming all the logic behind the operation to give performance + efficiency must be a challenge. I presume that the tendency to climb hills in a gear higher than feels appropriate is driven by the extra fuel economy at the lower rpm.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
It's definitely improved. On the long hill where the Mk3 would eventually give up and noticeably change down it's now merely increasing the revs a bit like the Mk2 and Mk1 did. I'm also having no problem jumping to then holding my preferred 3,000rpm for brisk, yet efficient, acceleration. I did have one occurrence on Tuesday coming off a roundabout where she seemed to refuse to accelerate but otherwise it seems one my biggest bugbears may be gone.

Now if only there was some way to get the Mk2 style boot floor back we might be getting closer to the Jazz I really wanted. I'm going to think about knocking something up this weekend. My DIY skills are bit limited but a cut down sheet of MDF and a couple of hinges doesn't strike me as all that difficult to engineer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:53:35 PM by andruec »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
Now if only there was some way to get the Mk2 style boot floor back we might be getting closer to the Jazz I really wanted. I'm going to think about knocking something up this weekend. My DIY skills are bit limited but a cut down sheet of MDF and a couple of hinges doesn't strike me as all that difficult to engineer.
See this http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7501.msg39679#msg39679 if you haven't seen it already.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything