Author Topic: Strange dash noise and a useful hint.  (Read 2286 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Strange dash noise and a useful hint.
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to have created so many threads but I have one final question and some advice if anyone else has seen a problem starting.

Question: When I switch on or switch off there's a short buzzing whine from behind the dashboard. Does anyone know what it is?

Advice: If you sometimes find that your Jazz struggles to start and turns over many times you may have an idle stop issue. I've noticed it happen when I park in my garage and have finally worked out that it happens if I switch off while idle stop is in the process of restarting. Previously I'd come to a halt (idle stop kicks in) then quickly push the gear lever to Park and switch off. This caused the issue. The fix is to be a bit more patient and give the engine a few seconds to stabilise.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Strange dash noise and a useful hint.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
Just an update.

I am sure now that I have the solution to the starting problem. Since taking care to never switch the engine off until idle stop has restarted the engine and had a few seconds to 'settle down' I have not had an issue starting it. I am also able to replicate the fault on demand by deliberately pushing the gear selector into 'P' then turning off quicker than idle stop can finish the restart. It's not particularly difficult to do but I suspect it only affects those of us who can drive forward into their overnight parking spot. There seems to be some logic that disables idle stop for a couple of minutes if you use reverse - a sensible design.

You can't replicate it on a warm engine but it's something I will mention to the dealer at my next service.

Tags: