Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 35710 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2021, 12:28:06 PM »
Why don't they do mudflaps for the Crosstar ?

Why go to the effort of raising the ride height / ground clearance and make an off road capable style, and then mess it up with mud flaps as standard. Most soft roaders don't ship with mud flaps, or if they do, they are very subtly shaped and not much use against road rubble. If they're an issue, your dealer will almost certainly throw them in as a gesture.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2021, 12:36:28 PM »
I don’t really understand the fuss about tyres on a Jazz. The difference between cheap and expensive tyres is how quickly they reach the limits of adhesion, and how they behave beyond it.

Neither of which should trouble someone driving a Honda Jazz in a normal way in normal conditions.

I’ve had my share of understeer and oversteer across various cars in various situations, but only when provoked. Since I became older and duller, I haven’t had a single “dynamic” moment - because I’ve stopped looking for them ;)
Tyres are your only contact point with the road so personally I prefer that contact to be as secure as possible. Last week the roads in North Yorkshire were a mix of salted tarmac, compressed snow and ice. Driving was much safer with tyres designed to handle those conditions. If tyre safety is not important to you then fine - until you slide into someone or something. Or, of course, you don't use your vehicle in those road conditions.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2021, 01:10:48 PM »
Exactly, just don’t use your vehicle in those conditions... nothing short of spikes is going to help you on unexpected ice.

Sliding about is going to happen regardless of tyre type - no tyre in this country is a proper winter tyre built for snow.

You’re going to slide about either way - the money would be better spent on a skid pad day so you can slide around safely.

Personally, last time I checked, I could keep a 500bhp RWD sedan on summer tyres in a straight line on ice.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:16:10 PM by TiJazz »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »
Exactly, just don’t use your vehicle in those conditions... nothing short of spikes is going to help you on unexpected ice.

Sliding about is going to happen regardless of tyre type - no tyre in this country is a proper winter tyre built for snow.

You’re going to slide about either way - the money would be better spent on a skid pad day so you can slide around safely.

Personally, last time I checked, I could keep a 500bhp RWD sedan on summer tyres in a straight line on ice.
If you don't be believe me just have a look at videos with direct comparison between summer and all season or winter tyres driving on snow on the internet. The difference in all normal performance is obvious. It's not a matter of driver skill it's simple physics!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:40:04 PM by Expatman »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »
I've looked at these videos. The drivers are driving in a manner no sane person would in the conditions. If you want to throw a car about in those conditions, then get winter tyres. Personally I don't.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2021, 04:22:04 PM »
I've looked at these videos. The drivers are driving in a manner no sane person would in the conditions. If you want to throw a car about in those conditions, then get winter tyres. Personally I don't.
You're looking at the wrong videos! Look for the ones by AutoExpress and particularly the braking difference. However, I understand that if you live in a warmer part of the country and don't need to use your car in bad weather then regular summer tyres will suit you fine.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2021, 05:42:58 PM »
- no tyre in this country is a proper winter tyre built for snow.

Winter tyres are just that, winter tyres. Tread design and rubber compound are specifically for cold/wet/snow. If you've never driven in those conditions using winter tyres you won't realise just how much better they can be than summer tyres.
In the UK the latest generation of all season tyres are probably an ideal compromise, saves swapping wheels and means they are going to be pretty good in all conditions especially when we get a long drawn out cold/wet period.
I used winter tyres in Europe (mandatory in many countries) but there it tended to go from frozen winter to warm spring in a matter of a couple of weeks reasonably predictably, so swapping when the time was declared wasn't really an issue.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
Exactly - nobody uses winter tyres in the UK. All season will be useless is snow no matter what brand you have.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2021, 06:37:13 PM »
All season will be useless is snow no matter what brand you have.
I found my all-season tyres excellent in the snow. Maybe not as good as winter tyres but certainly better than summer tyres.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2021, 07:21:17 PM »
All season tyres might not be quite as good as winter tyres but they are vastly, vastly superior to summer tyres. I was taking my wife to hospital in Harrogate and we got caught in a snowstorm. Everything came to a halt on a hill as cars lost grip, I pulled out and drove up past everyone, police were wonderful and helped to keep the lane clear. Drove carefully to the hospital up and down hills without further problems with only a few other vehicles for company. Can't prove it but I assume they had winter or all season tyres as well.
That's when I really understood the value of all season tyres.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2021, 07:39:59 PM »
Exactly - nobody uses winter tyres in the UK. All season will be useless is snow no matter what brand you have.
I’m sorry but that is unfounded nonsense. I have used Winter tyres for years, they are exactly the same tyres as you buy in Europe. Currently I’m on All Season tyres. We had 5 inches of snow and then ice a couple of weeks back. These tyres were amazing compared to the regular tyres they replaced.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »
What is this obsession with tyres? Our Jazz has standard regular round black Michelin ES tyres with about 4mm of tread and they worked just fine in the beast from the east 2. Technique and ability are 1000% more important than tyres. I have never been stuck on snow or ice, and have only ever had standard tyres. I really for the life of me don't understand what all the fuss is about.

In balance, I have never tried all season or winter tyres, so have no point of reference as to the respective advantages. BUT, and it's a big but, as I have yet to get stuck due to having technique and ability why would I change for the 3 days snow we get a year.

When our Jazz tyres wear out, I may look at all season tyres for the better cold weather breaking performance. However, I allow ooodles of braking distance and alter my driving to suit the conditions as I have done over the last 30+yrs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2021, 10:06:17 AM »
In balance, I have never tried all season or winter tyres, so have no point of reference as to the respective advantages. BUT, and it's a big but, as I have yet to get stuck due to having technique and ability why would I change for the 3 days snow we get a year.
I have always had summer tyres and never ended up stuck in the snow. I bought the all-season tyres this time because of the increased rainfall climate change is bringing us. They worked great in the recent snow, but I am sure I would have managed with the summer tyres I had on before. Ability to drive in snow will get you further than no ability and good tyres.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2021, 10:14:48 AM »
I have always had summer tyres and never ended up stuck in the snow. I bought the all-season tyres this time because of the increased rainfall climate change is bringing us. They worked great in the recent snow, but I am sure I would have managed with the summer tyres I had on before. Ability to drive in snow will get you further than no ability and good tyres.
Also, geography comes into it. I challenge anyone to make my journey home in a Jazz on Summer tyres during the conditions we had locally a few weeks back. Generally, the hill is around 1 in 10 but with short, very steep sections with switchbacks.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2021, 10:58:09 AM »
I have just had a read of this. https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/whats-the-best-all-round-tyre/n1161 I would absolutely love to have a bash at finding out for myself the differences referenced in this test between the tyres. Would I alter my opinion if I had the opportunity to do the test? Possibly!  :D Technique is everything though.

I wouldn't have thought that the MK4 is brilliant on snow on ice given the limited control an auto only box gives vs manual. Its extra 208 kg over the MK3 won't help either.

Tags: