Author Topic: Tappet Adjustment  (Read 61238 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tappet Adjustment for i-DSi engines
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
The loudest noise you will hear from the top end of a Honda engine is the 'ticking' of the fuel injectors.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
Re: Tappet Adjustment for i-DSi engines
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »

You also rarely get valve seat recession on a modern Honda petrol engine.
   Hardened seats and valve spec see to that.

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: Tappet Adjustment
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 05:56:12 PM »
I am inclined to agree culzean, my wifes GD jazz is now on nearly 101,000 miles and is still as quiet as the day we got it... in my 23yrs of owning honda engined cars (and lots of friends and family) i/we have never adjusted tappets on any of them... as long as the oil is changed regular they usually run forever and do big mileages with no problem, or maybe, me/we have just been lucky perhaps??
Valves can  fail due to metal fatigue,  the valve, "penny on a stick"   will deteriorate due to cyclical  metal fatigue, the valve stem will  elongate, "neck " or "stretch". The stem of the valve elongating will be seen as the tappet clearance  closing  towards zero. Such valve failures are  rare these days, but were a problem many years ago, the VW air-cooled beetles were well known for such failures, usually the exhaust valve, rarely the inlet valve.
The Honda service schedule may well be to keep an eye on the valves,  if the gap is closing below service  specification, it  prompts the technician for  investigation such as a cylinder head lift and valve inspection to avoid a potential valve  drop and expensive damage to the engine.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Tappet Adjustment
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »
I am inclined to agree culzean, my wifes GD jazz is now on nearly 101,000 miles and is still as quiet as the day we got it... in my 23yrs of owning honda engined cars (and lots of friends and family) i/we have never adjusted tappets on any of them... as long as the oil is changed regular they usually run forever and do big mileages with no problem, or maybe, me/we have just been lucky perhaps??
Valves can  fail due to metal fatigue,  the valve, "penny on a stick"   will deteriorate due to cyclical  metal fatigue, the valve stem will  elongate, "neck " or "stretch". The stem of the valve elongating will be seen as the tappet clearance  closing  towards zero. Such valve failures are  rare these days, but were a problem many years ago, the VW air-cooled beetles were well known for such failures, usually the exhaust valve, rarely the inlet valve.
The Honda service schedule may well be to keep an eye on the valves,  if the gap is closing below service  specification, it  prompts the technician for  investigation such as a cylinder head lift and valve inspection to avoid a potential valve  drop and expensive damage to the engine.

Aircooled engines run a lot hotter than water cooled, and valves run cooler on water cooled, the stems are cooled better and every time the valve is on its seat it is being cooled by conduction back into water jacket. The inlet valve is further cooled by the incoming charge. Modern valve stems are made from different material to the head and they are friction welded together. Modern engines also have hardened valve seats which resist deformation and wear which used to close valve gaps.  I have never adjusted valves on any Honda engine ( bike or car ) and had a Civic from new that did 190,000 miles, and engine still perfect but body work let it down.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:41:33 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: