Poll

If your Jazz suffers from noisy manual gearbox bearings, please tells us what year the car was registered

19 (15.6%)
19 (15.6%)
18 (14.8%)
39 (32%)
14 (11.5%)
10 (8.2%)
3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2002-2008 noisy manual gearbox/shaft bearing problem  (Read 176669 times)

guest809

Re: MERGED: Noisy Manual Gearbox/shaft bearing problem
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »
Yes, see my messages 7th and 9th March above. Our car was out of warranty and had only covered 21k miles but I was happy with Honda's offer to cover 75% of the cost.

The dealer replaced the bearings and it cost me £315 i.e. 25%.

No problems since rebuild

guest869

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 06:51:09 AM »
My car is nearly 7 years old, 52,000 miles and Honda agreed to pay the cost of labour for replacing the bearings. I had to remove the gearbox though.

They replaced 7 bearings, though when I inspected the old ones only one seems to be worn. Cost was £190.

Just got to put the box back in now!

Update

The gearbox is now back in and the job done. It was reasonably straight forward except for removing the drive shafts and the suspension components such as the anti roll bar drop links. In fact I had to cut one off and buy a new one, expensive.

The car is much quieter, just the rear wheel bearing to get sorted now at Honda.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »
My jazz which is a 07 sport model has this ticking/whirring noise in 1st and 2nd gear. What annoys me is that its only done about 10k miles from new and is only 2 years old! Also in the gearbox department 5th gear crunches? It's not so loud that you can hear it but you can certainly feel it through your hand.

Also there's some sort of clonking noise coming from the front suspension when your driving on certain rough road surface's and turning the steering like on a bend.

Now you could say all that would be covered under the warranty but my dilemma is that will the jazz be the same again i.e be the same as before but without the faults mentioned?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
Just to update you guys Honda had a look and agree that the bearings need replacing and it would be covered under warranty.

guest809

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many Jazz gearboxes have failed in this way? JazzyB's went after two years and 10k, ours after three and a half years and 21k.

Someone earlier in this chain described the bearing failure as a "known fault". Known to whom and why on earth are they going after such low mileages?

I was happy that Honda contributed to the cost given that my car was out of warranty but it still cost me £320 and now I am wondering how long these bearings will last.

And here is the real question - what have Honda done about it to make sure the same problem is not waiting to surface on the GE?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Just got my jazz back seems ok so far........

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »
Bump.

Please vote in the poll at the start of this topic if your Jazz has suffered from this problem. Thanks.

guest882

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
especially in cold weather and on the firts few miles before on each morning i find it difficult engaging from 3rd to 2nd.after it warms up the problem disappears and it runs smoothly

guest1049

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
I have just had to take my 2003 jazz to Honda dealer as my gearbox bearings are worn and need replacing at only 50,000 miles, the service manager said this was a common fault. After looking on the internet it seems as if Honda have been aware of this problem and extended the warranty to 7 years, mine is 7 years and 3 weeks so I hope Honda will have some sympathy and sort this problem for me. My 15 year old Nissan has 100,000 miles on the clock and still has its original gearbox! INteresting to see if others will come forward with similar problems. My Honda dealer has submitted a claim to Honda and I am now awaitng the results of this. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

guest1556

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
Yes I have a year old Jazz with 11,000 KM s that whines and my dealer said to keep an eye on it , he did not want to talk about it , can it fail ?

guest1556

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »
Well thats not quite right ,, they were good enough to put in writing that it was noisy,, and changed the oil and send me on my way saying to keep an eye on it , I guess that is fair although Im a bit dissapointed that its noisy in 11,000 KMS  I usually fix car problems as soon as I get them , but in this case I cant

guest1461

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
I have just had to take my 2003 jazz to Honda dealer as my gearbox bearings are worn and need replacing at only 50,000 miles, the service manager said this was a common fault. After looking on the internet it seems as if Honda have been aware of this problem and extended the warranty to 7 years, mine is 7 years and 3 weeks so I hope Honda will have some sympathy and sort this problem for me. My 15 year old Nissan has 100,000 miles on the clock and still has its original gearbox! INteresting to see if others will come forward with similar problems. My Honda dealer has submitted a claim to Honda and I am now awaitng the results of this. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Where have you had your car serviced? If at a honda dealer I am sure this will help in getting it sorted under warrenty as you have been putting money in there pockets and not elsweare.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
Has anyone had their gearbox bearings replaced by Honda under warranty?

guest1556

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 03:38:37 AM »
Hi jazzy
I dont think Honda would want to do that,,, as its expensive
Ive noticed mine getting noisier , how noisy can it get?????

guest1049

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
Great result from my local Honda Dealer, they initially refused my claim as it was a few weeks over the extended warranty-however, the service manager perservered and as my Jazz has only 55000miles on the clock Honda agreed to pay for parts leaving me the bill for labour which came to about £400.  Also gave it a good clean too ;D. Must say my faith in Honda has been restored and car sounds and drives fantastic again.

Tags: