Author Topic: new recall on drivers door switch  (Read 78032 times)

guest4078

Re: new recall on drivers door switch
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
So I have now had the recall work done on my window switch.
Went in this morning to Crown Honda and took around 50 mins to complete. Good, painless service and nice coffee and wifi whilst one waits.
So I now have a new switch set under the original trim but worth noting that I have not had any issues with the original switchgear.

guest2913

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
Me and parents still havent got ours neither has a few people i know with a jazz so we rang the dealer and had the car in on the saturday

guest3735

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:04:05 AM »
just had mine done as part of service/ mot time.

guest4426

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »
What is the fault behind the switch? Just driving back from Nottingham yesterday trying to put my window up the window would go up half way then go back down automatically??

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
What is the fault behind the switch? Just driving back from Nottingham yesterday trying to put my window up the window would go up half way then go back down automatically??

The switch fault is ,I think, to do with a possible fire hazard.
Your problem is caused by the window jamming in the guides and is not uncommon. The up/down is caused by the anti-trapping device sending the window back down because it thinks the jamming is something trapped in the window.
It happened to my GD and was cured by spraying the guides with WD40 and working the window up and down.
I expect there will be comments about using WD40 but it is what the Honda workshop recommended and it works.

Vic.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:22:11 PM by VicW »

guest4426

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
Cheers for the reply Vic

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »

Your problem is caused by the window jamming in the guides and is not uncommon. The up/down is caused by the anti-trapping device sending the window back down because it thinks the jamming is something trapped in the window.
It happened to my GD and was cured by spraying the guides with WD40 and working the window up and down.
I expect there will be comments about using WD40 but it is what the Honda workshop recommended and it works.

Vic.

I once had this problem after lowering my window to scan my badge at the security barrier at work. Some ice had dropped into the guides inside the door causing the windowing to only go half way up then go back down again. The problem disappeared after a few miles.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Vic.

the original recall was to do with water getting into the window switches if the drivers window was left open in a rainstorm or someone poured liquid into it, and it could cause a fire. Nothing wrong with the switches, just the seals.

the window control circuit monitors the current (and therefore the motor torque) it takes to move the window to closed position and if a current which is considered above normal is seen (due to something eg a trapped hand / finger / childs head) the circuit will reverse the motor, this circuit also sees high current if the window guides are causing drag on the window glass.

WD40 is a quick fix,  but from experience using it in industrial environment it does quickly lose it lubrication properties and turn to a sticky coating that is not designed to lubricate but  to prevent corrosion - which it does well,  but also attracts dirt big-time.   WD40 is used for many things like removing glue, keeping pigeons off your window ledge etc but is still basically a water dispersant and corrosion inhibitor.  If you want a more permanent solution use silicon based (you can get 'Tableau dry-lube' silicon spray from may hardware stores or internet - works very well on curtain rails etc) or either 'wet' or 'dry' PTFE spray (same stuff as on your non-stick frying pan but suspended in a liquid)  which are designed to be a long term lubricant,  but because WD40 is so widely available and cheap and already in most peoples houses / garage it will continue to get used. (if you are moving snow, spray the shovel with WD40 and the snow slides off easily).

Honda garages also seem to recommend using same viscosity oil from no-name 45 gallon drums for everything, and using same oil in both the engine and gearbox (yes they did recommend I did this), they obviously don't  know that engine and gear oil are two entirely different formulations).

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:07:59 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4408

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »

Honda garages also seem to recommend using same viscosity oil from no-name 45 gallon drums for everything, and using same oil in both the engine and gearbox (yes they did recommend I did this), they obviously don't  know that engine and gear oil are two entirely different formulations).

I find that incredibly hard to believe. If you put engine oil in a gearbox it will quickly overheat and turn the gears into molten mash. If you put gear oil into an engine it would likely never start or quickly seize up. No offence, but even a 17-yr old apprentice knows the difference, so either someone was winding you up, or one incompetent individual made a mistake (and no doubt subsequently got fired) or you somehow misread the situation. There's no way Honda or anyone else is going to seriously recommend using the same oil in engines and transmissions.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
I find that incredibly hard to believe. If you put engine oil in a gearbox it will quickly overheat and turn the gears into molten mash. If you put gear oil into an engine it would likely never start or quickly seize up.  There's no way Honda or anyone else is going to seriously recommend using the same oil in engines and transmissions.

no I wasn't being wound up but you do overstate the case a little - there is no way engine oil would 'quickly overheat and turn gears into a molten mash'  The damage would be longer term (years),  where the gears would wear out quicker because of lack of extreme pressure compounds in the 'engine oil'.

While they said engine oil could be used in gearbox, they didn't  recommend using gearbox oil in the engine,  but then again the low viscosity gear oil would do a pretty good job,  but lacks the detergents and acid buffers to deal with combustion products, so longer term ( and even more if oil was not changed regularly) engine bearings may get damaged by un-neutralised acids in the oil.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »
I remeber quite a few gearboxes and rear axles running well on Duckhams Q20-50 and a few pumps of grease. Oh the good old days.

guest4476

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
waiting for second letter.

my 58 GD has had sticky window syndrome, AND the driver lock is jammed. must be the same problem-will they fix it?

guest2913

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Anyone else from N.E. got theres yet? checked with people who own jazz, still nothing? :S

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:56 PM »
I'm still waiting for my second letter but upon checking on the Honda website and inputting my VIN number it says my car's required to come in for attention.

So I'm gonna call my dealer and just book it in.

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
I never received the second letter either, just called the dealer (Bexleyheath) and had it done on the 23rd of December. Took about an hour and half.

Tags: recalls 

anything