Poll

If your Jazz suffers from worn rear wheel bearings, please tells us what year the car was registered

16 (14.5%)
32 (29.1%)
31 (28.2%)
15 (13.6%)
11 (10%)
4 (3.6%)
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2002-2006 rear wheel bearings  (Read 111437 times)

guest1461

Re: Jazz rear wheel bearings
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »
The way you explain it I would say that it has got to do with who ever installed the bearing. Only other thing is to take it to a garage and get the computer on it to find out what the code is.

guest1925

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
I was looking for some information about rear wheel bearings and cost to replace.  I have an almost 7 year old Honda Jazz, which unfortunately has started having a bit of a noise, which my mechanic told me today that it is the rear wheel bearings, one is worse than the other.  My car has only done about 40,000 miles, and for the last 2.5 years has been sat mostly on the drive due to me having an accident and not being able to drive it.  I was a bit shocked that the wheel bearings have gone just by the car sitting on my drive, and to say the least was a little disappointed to find this out when getting the car serviced.  After reading through this forum and seeing that I may get them replaced by Honda I am going to be giving my dealership a call in the morning, and see if they can help especially after what I have read on here, fingers crossed as I really could do with a bit of luck. 

Thank you to everyone for your information!  :)

Ciaran84

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
Hi all, can anyone tell me if the (debatable) 7 year guarantee on this is a Honda UK thing? I live in Ireland and recently found out both rear bearings need replacing on my 2005 Jazz (80k miles). I bought the car second hand from a Honda dealer 2 years ago with 51k on it and it was quiet as a mouse, so might be that they were already changed once. Since then i've had it serviced twice with a private mechanic i've been using for years. I have a feeling that since i bought second hand and had it serviced privately they will basically tell me to sod off.

Anyone know how i'd go about finding out if the guarantee applies here? How did people who found out about it in the UK (if not on here) hear about it?

I'm very disappointed to discover an otherwise flawless car has such a weakness.

guest1925

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
I was looking for some information about rear wheel bearings and cost to replace.  I have an almost 7 year old Honda Jazz, which unfortunately has started having a bit of a noise, which my mechanic told me today that it is the rear wheel bearings, one is worse than the other.  My car has only done about 40,000 miles, and for the last 2.5 years has been sat mostly on the drive due to me having an accident and not being able to drive it.  I was a bit shocked that the wheel bearings have gone just by the car sitting on my drive, and to say the least was a little disappointed to find this out when getting the car serviced.  After reading through this forum and seeing that I may get them replaced by Honda I am going to be giving my dealership a call in the morning, and see if they can help especially after what I have read on here, fingers crossed as I really could do with a bit of luck. 

Thank you to everyone for your information!  :)

Well phew! That was a relief!  ;D

I took my car to my local dealership to have the two recalls sorted and whilst there I asked them about this problem and that I thought it was covered under an extended warranty.  They had not heard of wheel bearings being part of an extended warranty but said they would take a look and if it were the bearings then they would put a request into Honda to see if they would cover the work.  They were not going to charge for the work to check even if it was not covered, which I thought was great.  It was found to be the wheel bearings and they submitted the request to Honda and by the end of the day they had received a response back to say that Honda would pay for the repairs.  The very next day my car went back in for the bearings to be changed and I am pleased to say that I now have my quiet baby back with no whining from the rear!

The service of the dealership was great considering the car had not been purchased there seven years ago and the dealt with this very promptly and with the friendliness I have come to expect from Honda dealerships.

:) I would like to say a big thank you to all those posting on this forum, without reading this I am sure this would have cost me a small fortune to fix.  It gave me the courage to approach my Honda dealership knowing that others were experiencing the very same problem with their cars.  :-*

If you have a problem with rear wheel bearings I would seriously suggest making your Honda dealership the first point of call before going ahead and paying to get them fixed yourself.  Why pay for something to be fixed when it is covered under a warranty

Ciaran84

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
I wonder could anyone who had this job done for free under warranty post and let me know what dealership they had it done in? I've contacted ther one i got my car from but initial reply is not encouraging. They deny any such fault and say there is no service schedule in place for wheel bearings but will forward my query for further review.

guest229

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
Anyone at a dealership who denies any problem exists with rear wheel bearings is either pulling your leg or walking around with eyes shut and hearing aid switched off.This problem has been to the fore for best part of a year now, arm yourself with the history on this site, print it off and go back to the dealership and do battle.

Ciaran84

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the advice, luckily i wont need it. I got an e-mail from the dealerships service dept saying there is an extended warranty on the bearings and they have the parts on order. When they get them in they'll arrange to fit them for me. I'm really surprised it didn't take more arm-twisting!

guest1390

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
Hi

You say 9 years for the wheel bearings??? I've heard 6 and 7 years but not 9. Who is your local garage are they a Honda place???? Could you give me their number please I would like to contact them.

Thanks 
Rick

Sorry for the late reply on this but the garage that gave the info was Inchcape of Chelmsford but the dealer who replaced it after the usual arm twisting was Brayley Honda at Grays Essex, It is a problem that they recognise but like a lot of manufactures they save money by stalling, as some get it done anyway. Have found Renualt Customer service far better than Honda.

guest229

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »
Yes some are good and some are not, I think that to some extent or other it depends on the service manager and how "good" he is.I would suggest that if you are given a load of old crap try somewhere else your money is good anywhere.

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:23 PM »
I had to replace rear nearside rear wheel bearing at around 40K but rear offside rear is still OK at nearly 80K.  It seems it is pretty variable when bearings will start to play up.  I can understand nearside bearing failing first because over 90% of potholes (and 100% of kerbs) are on nearside. Both front bearings still OK.  Car still great to drive and wheel-bearing 'problem' (it is a pretty small thing really) has not changed my opinion of the Jazz as a great car - and can you really expect Honda to pay for replacement wheel bearings on a 9 year old Jazz, would any other maker do that?

This is not just a site for complaints you know, please feel free to post the things you like about the Jazz - otherwise people who are looking on here to decide whether to buy one or not may get the wrong idea (the Jazz can't be all that bad -after being top on its own for 7 years it tied with Toyota Yaris as top super-mini in latest JD power, and Honda were second, only a fraction behind Lexus (a premium brand) in the manufacturers table with 3 Honda cars in top 10 overall).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1925

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
This is not just a site for complaints you know, please feel free to post the things you like about the Jazz - otherwise people who are looking on here to decide whether to buy one or not may get the wrong idea [/quote]

I love my Jazz that much I now own two, and my first is 7 years old, they have a lot of plus points, it is like anything though bad press gets around quicker than good press because people are more likely to complain than to say good things!

Great little cars, I would still recommend them even with the wheel bearing problem what other small car would I be able to get my 6ft 2 son into the back of!!

guest713

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
Having used the pictures on the first post of this thread to replace the rear wheel bearings in my Jazz (52/2003 130k+ so excluded from extended warranty) I wanted to post my experience.

I am by no means familiar with the inner workings of a car but this was my opportunity to learn. I bought the basics (torque wrench, trolley jack) from the usual suspects on the highstreet and set off with my mission.

Everything was fine until the point when the old hub "slid off" - did it heck as like! It was stuck fast and stayed so for four hours despite my efforts tapping, hammering, lubricating and generally cursing.

I then had a brain wave which when it worked I couldn't believe I tried earlier. I took the bearing from the passenger side (which came off with no effort) and "piggy-backed" it on to the driver side one using the wheel nuts - a single sharp blow to the piggy-backed hub and the damn thing popped off!

So if you have a similar experience, and are not fortunate enough to have a "wheel hub puller" then give the piggy back method a try - works a treat :D

Car is running like a dream now - almost road noise from the rear (from a deafening roar before the repair).

Shame it cost me £60 more than taking it to the garage but I now have the knowledge and the tools to embark on similar "simple" repairs so should recoup the costs with the remaining time the car has left (...fingers crossed...)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
I've edited the original topic with a list of dealers who have replaced the wheel bearings under warranty, based on the replies to this topic.

guest2066

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
Hi everyone
 I’ve just joined; I have had trouble with my Honda jazz 02 plate rear wheel bearings.  The driver’s rear side was replaces in 2009 at a cost of £300. At local garage, the passenger rear side is now very noisy so I thought i would have ago myself and was looking for instruction on the internet on how to carry out the job when i came across your site. 
After reading your comments i rang Honda Wigan and they told me to bring the car in tomorrow 26,4,11 they told me they will look at the wheel bearing and if its noisy  they might change it but its not under warranty or recall, fingers crossed, also they said they will carry out a recall on the widow and head light wiring.  I will let you know how i get on
Thanks for your advice
Kind regards Steve c

Rbz5416

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »
A quick note of thanks as the missus' 7 year 11 month old '04 1.4 SE CVT is booked in on Thursday to have both rear wheel bearings replaced courtesy of Honda.

Year added to the poll.

Tags:

anything