Poll

If your Jazz suffers from worn rear wheel bearings, please tells us what year the car was registered

16 (14.5%)
32 (29.1%)
31 (28.2%)
15 (13.6%)
11 (10%)
4 (3.6%)
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2002-2006 rear wheel bearings  (Read 111458 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Honda Jazz 2002-2006 rear wheel bearings
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
According to this topic the following Honda dealers have replaced the wheel bearings under warranty:

Benefield Honda, Stockton on Tees
Blackpool Honda
Brayley Honda, Grays, Essex
Brown Brothers Honda, Peebles
Collins Honda, Hailsham, East Sussex
Inchcape of Chelmsford, Essex
Marshalls (location?)
Norton Way Honda, Letchworth, Herts
Tom Fox Honda, Drogheda, Co Louth, Ireland

If your Jazz suffers from this fault please try your local dealer. If you don't get anywhere consider one of these dealers above if they are near to you.

Edit by RichardA - 17 March 2010:
This fault is covered under warranty by Honda. Some say up to 7 years, others up to 9 years old. It appears having a full service history from a Honda dealer is required to qualify for the wheel bearings to be replaced under warranty.

Edit by RichardA  - 16 July 2012:
Apparently, cars built from 2006 onwards have a revised wheel bearing design and are not covered by this extended warranty. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Back to the original post...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else had trouble with rear wheel bearings on their Jazz ?

We have two Jazz's in the family and both had to have rear nearside wheel bearings replaced at about 40K mark.  The first one went really noisy and obviously needed replacing, the second one didn't make a noise but failed the MOT because it was 'slightly rough' - I think I was conned by the Honda garage who failed it,  because they wanted nearly £200 to replace it.

They didn't get the job anyway, I did the job myself in half an hour on my own drive, the bearing and hub comes as a complete unit hence the £120 price tag for the parts. In case you were wondering all the wheel nuts on the Jazz are normal RH thread (30mm single hex socket advised as they are very tight - 160Nm torque ) - don't try to slacken or tighten the nut with the car on the jack, take off the wheel, remove the dustcap, use a screwdriver and hammer to open up the locknut tag, put the wheel back on and lower the car back to the ground - now get your 18" bar and 30mm single hex socket and heave that old nut off - remember its a normal RH thread - the old hub should just slide right off the stub axle - reverse procedure to refit new hub - remember to torque up new nut to 160Nm)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:04:25 PM by RichardA »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest869

Re: Jazz rear wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
Interesting. My 52K mile Jazz moans quite a bit from the rear. When jacked up and the wheel spun  it certainly isnt smooth.

Quite expensive to fix! Was the £120 for Honda parts?

Update:22nd May

The left rear hub is very noisy.

I bought a new hub from Honda Part Number 42200-SAA-E03 (drum non abs) for £106.05 inc VAT. I got 10% discount.

The hardest part of replacing the hub was getting the dust cap out. The rest was straight forward and easy.

Once the old hub was off I thought I would strip it down and see if I could put new bearings in. However the hub is actually part of the bearing. The outer "race" is machined into the hub and the hub hardened. So repair or replacement is not a simple (cheap) job.

Only the outside bearing had worn. Both the inner race and the hub were pitted. The balls appeared OK. The grease was burnt but still not completely gone. I am not a bearing expert so will seek advice as to why the bearing failed.

I may strip down the right hub and inspect and if OK regrease. This should lengthen the life.

Researching on the web I notice you can buy aftermarket hubs for the Civic, so maybe someone will start making them for the Jazz / Fit

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest869

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Apparently Honda will warranty any rear wheel bearings upto 7 years old ........ ask at your local dealer.

guest869

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »
Mine is off in today to have the rear wheel bearing done on my 2003 Jazz, free of charge.

But you have to ask to have this done. They will not offer as I found out when I bought my first wheel bearinga month ago. Even though I have the old bearing and bought a Honda part they are not interested.

guest1155

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:26:28 PM »
Many thanks to john,
I rang 3 Honda dealers,
Blackpool Honda said that if my car is under 100,000 miles and had full dealer service history they would do the bearings for me.
I bought my jazz from an independent dealer but fortunately it has full service history from a Honda dealer in peebles, Scotland.
for the record peebles Honda said they would do the bearings no problem.
Blackburn Honda did not want to know, also wanted 45 quid just to inspect it(non refundable).
Blackpool Honda inspected the car, said they will order the parts and do the work no problem.
also i have to say they looked after me like i had been a customer for years.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »
Your Jazz, are the rear wheels drum or disc brake systems?

Is there any difference in hubs and bearings for the two types?

Is the service life  of the Bearing better or worse for disc systems?

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »
Bearing in mind (no pun intended) that car makers are all looking for ways of improving performance and fuel consumption by reducing car weight, wind drag, transmission friction, tyre and wheelbearing drag it is no surprise that they are fitting lighter duty ball bearings (instead of the tapered roller bearings they use to fit).  This is probably why Honda, who have absoutely no history of wheel bearing (or any other reliability issue) had rear wheelbearing problems on the GD Jazz (knowing the Japanese this will be fixed on GE models).

It is normally only the rear nearside bearings (which have a harder life than the offside bearings on UK roads due to potholes, kerbs etc) which give problems

Given that the parts can cost (retail) less than £120 and about an hours work on your drive, it is still cheaper to fit them yourself, because £120 is about the amount you can save per service by doing your own oil and filter changes, without being blackmailed into paying dealer service prices just for a stamp in your book.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ricksmith

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
Hi

Your last paragraph, book stamped etc. In an earlier post 'John' said that the bearings will be done FOC under a 100k miles. So if it hasn't got a full service history wont they do the bearings FOC????

Rick

Geoffers

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:45 PM »
Hmmmm! £540 upfront to a Honda dealership buys 5 years servicing, parts & labour, on a new Honda.

guest1216

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:34:12 AM »
Thks very much for the instructions friend. My rear bearing right side is noisy) bot for singapore 101.65 with gst.

WIll open 7 c first on how to fit it.

Rgds
Chandran

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:27:37 PM »
Bump.

Please vote in the poll at the start of this topic if your Jazz has suffered from this problem. Thanks.

guest1372

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
I ended up here because of a worn right hand (offside) rear wheel bearing. Thanks to the clear info, will be changing it tomorrow with confidence. 

JCT600 failed it and wanted £256 to change, Marshall Honda (ex DeVries) £225.

The part no for a '2002 KE 1.4 SES 5MT' (an SE Sport with 58K) is
42200-SAA-G02
which supersedes -G01 & costs £156.53, no discount or sympathy offered.
That's for 'rear hub, drum brakes with ABS'.

The part number listed earlier in the thread is currently £126 at Honda

Had the car from the dealer since 2002, got them to check the bearing 2 years ago and was told, it was fine must be just hearing road noise as I always have the rear seats down. 

Feeling a little disappointed with Honda at the moment, although Honda UK confirm Jazz rear bearings are subject to a 7 year extended warranty.

Car started leaking into spare wheel well this year - roof seal is subject to 6 year warranty only.  Alloy wheel corrosion getting much worse - they wouldn't budge while in warranty, then said "Oh we would of changed these" 10 days outside of warranty.

I'll let you know how the hub change goes, I've never had my torque wrench up as far as 160Nm before.

All prices include VAT at 17.5%
--
TG

Edit: Generic replacements are now available for ~£30

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
Even easier to fix than I had thought, clean job with no greasing required, apart from the usual protective smear on threads etc.

I used a deep 30mm socket which gave enough clearance around the wheel arch, and 160Nm is quite easy to reach without too much push.  Using a fairly small screwdriver to lever the nut retaining flange open, the tip of mine just bent - a wedge of some sort was a better option, maybe a pair of small screwdrivers.  I used a nail then tugged it back out with pliers.

About 20 mins all in, including fetching the bricks from the garden to chock the other wheels, and remember to release the handbrake.
--
TG

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
Nice to see it was an easy job.

Nice pics too.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:16:49 PM by JazzyB »

guest1372

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
Thanks, my advice is to take all GD models to the nearest dealer when 6 years 11 months old and get them to assess the rear bearings no matter what. Should be some insurance should a problem be slowly developing.

To answer my fathers question, no hammering or pressing needed, the hub unit just slides off by hand.

TG

Tags: