Poll

If your Jazz suffers from water leaks in the boot, please tells us what year the car was registered

47 (22.6%)
36 (17.3%)
28 (13.5%)
36 (17.3%)
32 (15.4%)
23 (11.1%)
6 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Water in the boot / wet carpets (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)  (Read 128706 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Water in the boot / wet carpets (Honda Jazz 2002-2008)
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
(Common Fault I've heard about on the internet).

Check the carpets in rear footwell or boot for sign of dampness. Even if the carpets appear to be dry, check for any lingering smells of dampness or water marks (stained carpets). Any sign of leaks requires a new tailgate or rear door seal which can be a lengthy process, including possibly some re-spray work.

Also check under the rubber strips that run from the front to back of the car and inside the tailgate/boot shuts. Look for signs of cracking in the paint/sealant.

Edit 18 March 2014:
Honda *may* fix if under 6/7 years old. As even the last Mk1 Jazzes are now in their sixth year (2008), it's advisable to talk to your Honda dealer ASAP.

For owners of older cars or the DIY minded, try this link:
http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/jazz_leak.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:03:22 PM by RichardA »

guest786

Re: Water in the boot / wet carpets
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:52:07 AM »
The wheel well in the boot of my Honda Jazz keeps filling with water, which then splashes out and "floods" the rear of the car. I think the rain water is coming in through the boot seal around the boot locking catch.
Any one else seen this ?
Fixes greatly appreciated ?

Thanks in advance.

guest350

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »
I have had the new door seal (twice and new carpets at over £500 fitted) and it still leaks. It's driving me nuts. The dealer can't find out what's causing the leak.
Okay I found the leak myself. It was coming into the car through a door card button on the rear passenger nearside door. Duct taped that hole closed and re-fitted the door card etc. and no more leaks.

guest805

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
I have been collecting water in spare wheel well and I have tried in vain to locate the source . Today with the car facing uphill on a slope I have poured water into the sun roof drains but only about a third of the water actually  drains out behind the rear wheels . Then later on water  trickles from underneath the side trim in the boot. Obviously a lot of water is going elsewhere although I have seen no evidence on the head lining. Also what I cannot understand is that some water seaps out through the bottom  of the car just ahead of the rear wheel arches . I cannot believe that there are sunroof drains there as well ?
Can a blocked sunroof drain cause this? , because I cannot understand how and  if so it is possible to clear them ?

This is driving me spare :'(

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:40:41 AM »
There are two drain pipes connected to the factory sunroof.  One runs down one of the A pillars.  The other runs over the top of the rear quarter glass and down the D pillar - perhaps that has split near to the boot well which is why you are seeing water trickle from underneath boot side trim panel?

If you remove the boot side trim panel (and if necessary the rear quarter trim panel), you should see the drain pipe.

Unfortunately my line diagrams doesn't show where the drain pipe exits at the rear.

Check your PM.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:31:13 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
You have probably sold the Car by now, but is this leak due to cracking  of the Body Seam Mastic. Cold weather triggers this.  Honda know of this problem, they strip out the Paint and  Mastic, replace  it with better quality,  and Respray.

guest1216

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »
Hi i had the same problem. The root cause is not the seal but the electrical wire harness boot which located on the top. Most probably it could have moved whist spring cleaning of the car. As the black boot seals the harness. Move back the harness into place & this should solve the problem.

Rgds
Chandran

guest869

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
My 2003 Jazz is like a pond in the wheel well.............

I have read elsewhere that this is caused by an issue with the C pillar / roof sealant and it is replaced by Honda even if the car is out of warranty.

I have just spoken to Honda UK customer service and they said that the car needs inspecting by a Honda dealer and I will be charged for this inspection. If the problem is their fault I will get refunded.

Now before I go ahead with this I will check the other possible causes (electrical boot etc).

Will Honda fix any car? What are the terms of this warranty fix?

Thanks

John

Update

I have just done some investigation with the watering can. I reckon the water was finding its way in through the tailgate stay bracket. So I have taken it off and used a bit Loctite 518 sealant around the bolt holes and on the threads.

I took off the roof gutter trim strip and there is evidence of some small cracks on the right side sealant. So I then removed the rear boot trim panel and the right side boot panel. These come out easily, they are just clipped in plus a couple of screws on the side panel. One of the bits of foam on the rear panel was wet. Which lead me to the right side. I poured water into the gutter and could see it weeping out of a panel joint, plus there was rust between the panels by the spot welds.

I then tried the water over the stay bracket, which is below the cracked sealer and it was still coming in.

I will now wait and see what happens.

If it is fixed I will wait for everything to dry out and then inject some thin wax sealant to prevent further corrosion.

Interestingly in the boot there is white seam sealer on the seams (my car is blue and there is no other white sealer). It appears to have been put in after production. There is quite a bit where I saw the water weeping in........ but obviously it isnt doing any good!

guest1232

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »
I have the same problem, and I can also see rust traces around the spot welded joint under the trim on the rear C pillar.
I looked at the rear quarter light seals, but there is no evidence of water ingress there.

I am going to strip the boot trim out and try the watering can, starting at the bottom and working up.

If you find the leak, do not use silicone, try Sikaflex or Wickes Ultimate Sealant instead, dont worry about the 'forget nails' title, these sealants are polyeurathane, the are flexible for 30 years, you can wipe any excess off with white spirit, and you can paint them.

I used to assemble the black detachable roof for the Frontera, and that was the only sealant the Japanese would accept on quality control.

guest869

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 08:30:07 AM »
There is still a little water coming in so the small cracks in my sealant must be letting in water.

I will go to Honda and see what they say. If they will not fix it I will tackle the job my self. It will be easy enough.

guest869

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:26:55 PM »
I went to see my local Honda dealer and the guy there knew all about the leaks. My prognosis is correct. There are 2 paths the water takes. One is through the tailgate stay bolt holes and the other through the cracked seam sealer down the panals and into the spare wheel well. He took one look at my cracked sealer and said that was it.

BUT. They are only repairing under warranty up to 6 years of age and my car is out of that.

So I will fix it myself.

He also said they fixed it one of 2 ways. Either took out all the sealer and replaced or pushed RTV silicon in to the cracks.............

I will remove the sealer and use some polyutherane (Sikaflex??) then probably spray in the repair.

guest869

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
I have removed and replaced the seam sealer.

A short "How To" is http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/jazz_leak.html

Hopefully this will have now cured the leak.
I am glad I did it and not Honda as I feel sure I did a more thorough job.
I purchased my Sikaflex from Ebay, total cost £7.00 and delivered in under 24 hours!!

UPDATE: After lots of rain and melting snow the spare wheel well is now dry. The leak is fixed!

achilles

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
i had a similar problem. using a watering can i found that water was passing down behind the back of the rear lights. there is a small gap between light  housing and body of car, which can be  seen when you open back door. i used a small bit of clear silicon to plug the gap.  stopped leak straight away. hope this helps.

guest1364

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 08:10:23 PM »
i had same problem - took in into honda and they sorted with sealant along top of tailgate gulley

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
Bump.

Please vote in the poll at the start of this topic if your Jazz has suffered from this problem. Thanks.

Tags:

anything