Author Topic: Honda Jazz - Missing wing mirror paint (usually affects Ice Blue Metallic)  (Read 50638 times)

guest119

Hi there,

My first post, so go easy!

My father in law recently purchased a jazz and the wing mirror paint around the pillar/mounts has peeled/flaked away. Is this a trait of the Jazz?

Anyway, probably best to remove the mirrors and respray off the car. Is this easy? Just remove the door cards and there’s a bolt inside the door?

Anybody done guides (with pictures) showing how to do this ?

Thanks for your help!

Charlie Smiley

honda jazz sport

• Topic Starter
Re: Honda Jazz - Missing wing mirror paint
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 07:02:02 PM »
Hi there,

My first post, so go easy!

My father in law recently purchased a jazz and the wing mirror paint around the pillar/mounts has peeled/flaked away. Is this a trait of the Jazz?

Not as far as I know….how old is it?

Anyway, probably best to remove the mirrors and respray off the car. Is this easy? Just remove the door cards and there’s a bolt inside the door?

Sounds about right I think.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:27:03 PM by RichardA »

Goffs Oak

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Sounds like the paint has not been applied correctly to the mirror, could even be down to poor accident repair. Painting plastic is not easy in the bodyshop and takes some skill. If the mirror has been damaged it may have been resprayed on the cheap instead of replacing the mirror. You need to prepare the surface carefully or else the paint won’t adhere to the plastic surface and will flake away.

Years ago when I was a service manager at a Nissan dealer, we had a few complaints of the paint on the 200SX’s side skirts flaking away. Turns out the customer had caught the skirt on high kerbs, thanks to the lowered suspension, and had the repair done cheaply. Shocked

Anyway, if I remember correctly, you remove the interior door panels and you find the bolt attaching the door mirror to the car. Can’t be too sure, it’s been a good three years since we had a Jazz in the shop for repair but I can’t see any other way of getting at the mirror.

guest302

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:22:11 PM »
Hi, we saw quite a few jazzes before buying a 2002 se. we saw one 2002 that was flaking.
It could be so difficult that Honda had trouble.
Can’t see why a decent spayer couldn’t deal with it though. good luck!! mintgreen

guest396

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »
yep
Have the same, paint missing on both wing mirror arms, not little chips either. Its pretty much 70% peeled away.
Looks pretty shoddy with white plastic showing through.
Min is a light blue metallic finish.

guest914

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »
Does anyone have a problem with paint peeling from the wing mirror support posts? I have owned my Jazz from new but recently noticed large areas of paint peeling off the posts. Honda UK suggest it is caused by stone chips but I find this hard to accept because the paint is peeling rather than chipping and it is happening on both sides in areas which are not vulnerable to flying stones. I think it's a manufacturing fault as the paint doesn't seem to have adhered to the plastic underneath. Very disappointed with Honda's lack of help.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:02:29 AM »
Go back to the dealer and push them into doing something about it

guest911

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
Hi RLM,

I had exactly the same problem with my 2003 Ice blue 1.4 SE sport.  It was five years old before it started so I never contacted Honda or the dealer but I agree with you - it was definitely a factory fault.  It was certailnly not stone chipping - the paint could be scraped off with a finger nail.  And just in case they mantion it, I don't use a pressure washer.  I had never seen or heard of a jazz with the same problem so I was interested to read your post.  It's not ice blue is it?
I went to the local motor factors and got an aerosol can made up of the colour.  I removed the mirror supports, stripped all the paint with paint stripper and resprayed them with plastic primer, colour and clear lacquer.  Let me know if you would like instructions.  The door trim needs to come off to remove the mirrors.

Hope this helps,

Mozart.

guest914

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have contacted the dealer and Honda UK, they offered new wing mirrors at a reduced price - £100 plus another £60 to have them fitted. I am still thinking about this but am very reluctant as I don't think its my fault. I don't see the point in replacing the whole part when only the paint is faulty. Honda maintain it's stone chips but a local paint shop agree that it's a problem with the car.
My car is a 2003 SE in ice blue bought in Suffolk in May, was yours around the same time/place? The damage is on both posts but I would not be confident in trying to repair it myself.

guest911

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »
Hi RLM,

Yep, 2003 SE in ice blue bought May 2003 in Hamilton near Glasgow.  Chassis number ends: 03S203133.  No way is it stone chips.  I don't think there is any paintwork warranty other than corrosion so maybe after six years it's not a bad offer.  What should the mirrors cost?  The whole of the new mirrors will presumably need to be  painted ice blue and I have to wonder what kind of paint job you might get.  What about the black unpainted ones from the "S" model?

Regards,

Mozart.

guest2129

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have a 2002 Ice Blue Jazz, and it too peels off easily on the mirror posts.

I've bought it 2nd hand at a used-car dealer in 2007, and having seen the flaking posts, demanded them to be painted before delivery, which was done to an (apparent) high-standard.
The finish was good, smooth, and absolutely color-matched to the rest of the paint.

However, after some two years the flaking and peeling appeared again, and now there is a whole lot of white plastic showing...  :'(

Funny to see that this only happens in Ice Blue cars... something to do with the paint?

Mozart - care to do a tutorial on how to paint it, DIY style?
How is it holding up?

Jo

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »
I've got a '53 reg Jazz in Ice Blue, a lot of paint peeling off both mirror posts, they look really bad with the white plastic underneath showing through.

guest2230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
This is obviously a common problem since I also have peeling paint on my wing mirror for my blue 54 reg jazz

79stef

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
As above, 2002 Ice Blue Jazz, flakey paint on mirror pillar

guest1440

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
Mine too. '03 Ice blue . Is it only with this  particular colour?

Tags: