Author Topic: Car cover suggestions since 2016?  (Read 1769 times)

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
Car cover suggestions since 2016?
« on: October 29, 2018, 12:00:39 AM »
Hi all,
I've read the previous post in 2016 about Car Covers and appreciate the feedback provided there.  Some like the suggestion on Aldi's new offer (circa Nov 2016) are of course outdated.  https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8712.msg45274#msg45274 
Wonder if there's been any new thoughts or experiences on car covers (Windscreen only, full car cover), where you bought it, and what do you think of it?
I've searched on Amazon and while the cheaper ones are about £20-40, there's quite a few with feedback reviews that they don't really fit.  Perhaps due to slight size difference between mk2 and mk3 models? (Mine's a 2013 mk3 so I'm watching the reviews carefully). 
I've even seen some selling for £156!!!  Wow. 
Given the "Beast from the East" last year, and its been suggested that we might experience something similar in 2018, I wonder if anyone has any new thoughts on this topic?  I need to use the car for early school runs, so I need to have the car ready for driving sooner than later.  Would car covers (esp those windscreen only) help at all?  OR does icy winds blow cold rain under it and render them useless?

Looking forward to your thoughts!  Cheers,
Michael

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Car cover suggestions since 2016?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
I have used screen covers in the past with patchy success,  some plastic ones leave a film on the screen that smears when wipers are used. Covers that are not impermeable to water can get wet and stick to the screen.  A piece of polythene sheet is as good as anything ( had a new mattress lately, they come wrapped in acres of polythene) - make it long enough to tuck into the front doors either side of screen to keep it in place. Of all the de-icers I have used I found AutoGlym works the best, just a small amount required ( it is quite a fine misty spray from the bottle ) and it does not smear the screen like a lot of others do ( if you have an old de-icer spray bottle you can fill it up with regular winter screenwash, it works out cheaper).  Don't like full car covers as the car can 'sweat' under the cover and promote corrosion.  The real answer is a carport,  which lets the air blow around the car but keeps frost and snow off it.

Always keep your windscreen washer bottle topped up with decent winter screenwash ( prestone or Comma -25 stuff ) don't use the -5 stuff as it can freeze in the nozzles and if you get the lower temp stuff it acts as a good de-icer as well, many mornings when I was off to work at 4-15 I would clear the screen only to have it freeze up again as I was driving,  the normal -5 stuff just used to turn to slush on the screen and freeze up again.   

Using rainex on side windows makes the ice and frost easy to get off ( like teflon coating the glass) but using it on any screen with a wiper means it will cause smears and the teflon effect wears off in a short time.  Don't forget to clean off all your lights and side and rear windows and the roof as well ( if there is snow on it,  it is an offence to drive with snow on the roof).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:55:05 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
Cold water from kettle, always works for me.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
I tried a car cover once - this covered the top half of the car - we had a storm one night and it blew away! I haven't bothered since but, being retired and with no requirement to do the morning school run for the grandkids, I rarely have to de-ice my car.

I think Culzean offers some decent advice.

michaelC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
Great advice given. I decided to just get a can of de-icer from Halfords (£3), and ice scraper mitt, and the Rain-X for the side windows as suggested. The de-icer canister was for the thin layer of frost that the wipers couldn’t get rid of. Don’t think I’ll never bother with car covers now 😛

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
Great advice given. I decided to just get a can of de-icer from Halfords (£3), and ice scraper mitt, and the Rain-X for the side windows as suggested. The de-icer canister was for the thin layer of frost that the wipers couldn’t get rid of. Don’t think I’ll never bother with car covers now

Give the window glass a really good clean before applying rainex (preparation is the key - I would use rainex everywhere except front windscreen as it does help to keep rear tailgate window clean without using wiper most of the time) - just not a good idea on front windscreen as it can cause horrible smearing. 

You can use rainex on your shower screen, tiles and on the outside of house windows ( don't use it on the inside though) as well, keeps them clean for months and stops dirt sticking to them.   May be easier to use Rainex windscreen washer additive which cleans and puts a layer of rainex on at the same time. But whatever you do not put the rainex additive in the windscreen washer bottle,  I tried it a few years ago and it was awful and smeary,  took a long time to get it out of the system and off the glass afterwards,  but I had bought it so I tried it on stuff around the house.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:53:34 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything