Author Topic: Fixed or Variable Servicing?  (Read 135031 times)

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
Re: Fixed or Variable Servicing?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 11:32:10 AM »
My Jazz ES registered in March 2009 was also delivered with the service indicator off and had to be set by the dealer, I was told that this had been missed at the pdi  :'( . After being set the indicator counted down the number of days until the next service, after the 1st service the indicator was reset again and again is counting down the number of days to the next service.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Press the second button several times, which will cycle through total mileage, A trip, B trip, then service information.

As an aside, having had a second "A" service (oil change and oil filter), the car says it wants a "2" service (air filter) in 140 days. I queried this with the dealership, who queried it with Honda's North West regional service manager. It turns out that a lot of GE Jazz owners are concerned about the prepaid service contract. I've had it confirmed verbally that Honda will honour this for any number of services that the car requests during the period prepaid for (usually 5 years).

abeat1

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »
Further info, 400 miles until A service is now being displayed, so that will be around 7500miles and 9 months old! Disappointed really but will have a word with the dealer in case there is an issue with the firmware / oil sensors etc

Andy

guest1461

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:53 PM »
If you can not see the service indicator then it may well not be set up (should have been done at the dealers before you picking it up)
The service interval will depend on how you drive so if you are bombing around it will want an A service quite regualy. if you drive ecomomicly and smooth it will be a lot longer and so may well want a B service first.
A service = oil and filter
B service = check over of the car e.g. breaks levels etc.

If you have this system then there is no 12500 mile service interval what so ever.

guest1521

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
Hi
Advice from our local Honda dealer asserts that servicing will be 12,500 miles/annual. My polite 'reminder' that the new Jazz has a 'variable service indicator which automatically adjusts the service intervals according to driving patterns etc.'  made no difference to their advice... it was reiterated.

Could my variable service indicator have been disabled? How could I check on the car? Anyone with similar experience?

Geoffers

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
Mine, bought Oct last year, has now done 7,500 and is saying that a service will be due in 450 miles!
It has been said on here that the variable service indicator will be disabled at the first service. From then on it will be 12,500 miles/annual!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »
You can ask for the variable service indicator to be disabled. It's not worth it on the Honda Happiness pre-paid service scheme: they'll do whatever the indicator says without quibble within the first five years. I asked for (and got) confirmation of this following my last service.

A more frequent change of oil and oil filter is not a bad thing.

guest1521

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »
Thank you people. We very much like so many aspects of the Jazz but choosing between servicing possibilities is not so straightforward. For 'ad hoc' servicing over 4 years/50,000 miles the Honda dealer quotes £1193!  Honda Happiness Fixed Price Servicing Plan at £500 'down' for 4 years/50,000 miles is not cheap (considering what services really consist of) but is not bad/good value compared to other servicing possibilities. NB: A complicating factor for us is that we may sell the car before 2 services are done and though the Servicing Plan attaches to the car and so could enhance its resale value, we can't be confident of getting the full value of the Plan reflected in the price. After all, it's not a 'negotiable' option.

For us, a very interesting possibility according to the Service Book and the Honda UK website is the Honda Happiness Budget Servicing Plan. The website example shows a 3-year/37,500 miles Plan for a Civic i-VTEC of initial payment of £41.38 followed by monthly direct debit payments of £9.55 = £385.18
For our Jazz, based on projected mileage of 10,000 per year the equivalent 3-year Plan quoted by our Honda dealer is £41.32 initial payment followed by 27 (as we've had the car a number of months) monthly payments of £14.99 = £446.05 total. The payments can be flexed up (or down) according to actual mileage and will be refunded if we were to sell the car or if were to be an insurance write off - or so we are told.

We are keen to keep a 'Honda' service history as we might (regretfully) sell the car while it is still 'young'. 

Any observations anyone? Meanwhile, I hope this information helps others.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
For 'ad hoc' servicing over 4 years/50,000 miles the Honda dealer quotes £1193!  Honda Happiness Fixed Price Servicing Plan at £500 'down' for 4 years/50,000 miles is not cheap (considering what services really consist of) but is not bad/good value compared to other servicing possibilities.

Appreciate that you might not keep the car, but, for clarity, the Honda service plan cover 5 years, not 4.

If you were only going to keep the car for a couple of years then the plan is of questionable value, but any longer than that and it's a "no-brainer".  I hate paying for servicing, but the reality is that it's got to cost something, and £500 for 5 years is extremely good value.

guest1521

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:59 PM »
Thanks for your interest, Rory. Yes, as you say, the Honda Happiness Fixed Price Servicing Plan is a 'no-brainer' if the car is kept beyond a couple of years because it is certainly great value compared to all other options. We eventually concluded that Honda's Budget Servicing Plan - which of course offers servicing exactly to Honda's schedule as with their Fixed Price Servicing Plan - is better for us only because there is a distinct possibility that we'll regretfully quit the car before 2 years are up (emigration). Interestingly, Honda's Fixed Price Plan must have been 5 years previously, however the promotional reminder postcard we received from Honda UK and their website shows 4 years/50,000 miles for £500. 

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »
Interestingly, Honda's Fixed Price Plan must have been 5 years previously, however the promotional reminder postcard we received from Honda UK and their website shows 4 years/50,000 miles for £500. 

You're quite right - I just checked the Honda website and they've changed all the plans to 4years.   Panicing slightly, I pulled out the paperwork for ours and there is a confirmation letter that it's for 5yrs/62,500 miles.   I didn't even pay full price for it - there was some kind of deal that if we took an EX from Honda inventory then the service package was half price.  I also bought the 5 year warranty too and with the p/x the details of all the costs got a bit lost.

I was pretty happy with the overall deal except that I compeletly forgot to include a spare wheel.  I knew it didn't have one but just totally forget to include it as part of the deal.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »

I was pretty happy with the overall deal except that I compeletly forgot to include a spare wheel.  I knew it didn't have one but just totally forget to include it as part of the deal.

Me too  :(

wr_uk

• Registered Member
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
Has anybody actually got an official answer about it this is faulty/too sensitive or not?

I purchased a Brand New Honda Jazz in January 2010. When I was sold the car I asked what the servicing intervals were like. I was told be the sales man that it was the usual 12,000 or 12 months which ever come first. So I didn't think anymore about it.

9 months down the line and approximately 7500 miles the service light indicator came on. Having consulted the drivers manual it indicated that the jazz was infect on a variable servicing.

The next day I called the local dealership where I bought the car explained to the lady that I had only had the car 8 months and only done 7500 mile and the service light had come on. She said that this was a known problem with the jazz and I was to bring the car in and the light will be taken off at no cost.

I took the car in to have the light taken off. On arrival I was asked If it was booked in for a service. I explained that it was brought it to have the servicing light taken off. They said that the light come on because it need a service regardless of milage or the amount of time I've owned it.

THey check the on board computer and said it was on count down I had around 500 miles left to the actual service. They took the servicing light off but said I must book back in for a service after 500 miles.

I called  the local dealership this morning to to get some details on the servicing and the cost. I also aired my concerns about the low milage and the service being so soon. She said that she had heard the the new honda jazz models will be reverting back to the scheduled servicing system of 12,000 miles or 12 months.

Too me sounds like this problem and thats why they are reverting back, I then proceeded to ask her where does this leave all the honda jazz owners that have this issue?

I didn't get much of a response.

I've since looked on internet and through forums and it seems that this in not an isolated issue.

One one post its states 'It has been said on here that the variable service indicator will be disabled at the first service. From then on it will be 12,500 miles/annual!'

A couple of things that I'm really unhappy with:-
1. On the purchase being misled by being told that the servicing was as any other new car 12,000 or 12 months
2. That there were issues with the light coming on so early (some posts on forums, stating the light has come on around 4500 then come on again 100 miles after that)
3. That I was told that this was a known fault on the Jazz when I first contacted the dealership
4. It seems nobody who works at Honda knows what the hell is going on!

If I would have know that the services were going to be much more frequent when I purchased the car then I would have been in a better position to make an informed decision about whether to purchase the fixed price service plan.

I'm not sure what to do in terms of servicing, do I  ignore the light and just take the car in at 12,000 miles or at 12 months or will this make the warranty invalid? I certainly can't afford to be taking the car in for servicing every 6-8 months or so at an absolute minimum charge of £135 a go.

guest1521

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
I received an unexpected letter from my Honda dealer today indicating that they have me provisionally booked for First Service and that I need to phone/email and confirm their tentative booking. Or change it if their date is inconvenient. That means that the car will be serviced at around 12 months... and 9,000 miles. The variable service indicator has not lit up - perhaps it has been disabled with servicing simply scheduled for 12 months/12,000 miles whichever comes first. Whether that's Honda UK official policy or not, I don't know...

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
In my service book it is stated that service must be performed at leats once a year (or every 20k km or less according to the service indicator - in reality this means around 15k km in my case although I drive pretty normal)  to maintain warranty.
After servicing my jazz the service indicator is set to 20k km and it counts down to next service.
I have 38k km now. I did an oil change at 5k km, than A service at around 21k km and AB service at 37k km. Every time the service is more expensive  >:(
100+1 HP

Tags:

anything