Author Topic: Engine mounts knocking  (Read 3463 times)

Aj1

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2002
Engine mounts knocking
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:08 AM »
Hi!
I have a 2002 plate Honda jazz with an odd problem.
Whenever i take a sharp left turn with  my foot on the accelerator i get a loud knocking sound from the drivers side.
Iv'e been told it may be the engine mounts. I can't find much information on what engine mount this may be as theres 4 or 6 in the Jazz.
 If anyone has had the same issue and found a diy solution or can link me  to another forum that would be great!
Thank you

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Engine mounts knocking
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
Hi!
I have a 2002 plate Honda jazz with an odd problem.
Whenever i take a sharp left turn with  my foot on the accelerator i get a loud knocking sound from the drivers side.
Iv'e been told it may be the engine mounts. I can't find much information on what engine mount this may be as theres 4 or 6 in the Jazz.
 If anyone has had the same issue and found a diy solution or can link me  to another forum that would be great!
Thank you

If I take a sharp left or right with my foot on the accelerator I get a loud noise from the passenger side (but only if her indoors is in the car).

I would have said more like CV noise,  try doing it slowly on full lock, many sites suggest that it will be the outside wheel of a turn (RH wheel on LH turn) that will be more likely to make a noise if that CV is faulty and a RH CV may not make so much noise on a RH turn.

Modern CV joints are normally bulletproof unless the concertina rubber gaiter is damaged and leaking grease and will easily last 2 to 300,000 miles unless mistreated (regular full acceleration on lock etc.) or leaking grease.

Engine mount problems may show if you keep wheels straight ahead, apply the handbrake and move car forward and reverse against handbrake using engine power (not too much power obviously).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:09:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Situations like accelerating off a roundabout could cause a replacement exhaust to tap on the body, took me a while to realise what my occasional accelerating-left noise was.  Mid part of exhaust had got too close to body, bent mounts to move it 10mm and all was fine again.

The empty drinks bottle making a loud crack when temperature changed took about a month to diagnose.
--
TG

Aj1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:48:19 PM »
Thank you both for your suggestions.
I will test the car tomorrow keeping in mind what you both have said and report back!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:55:59 AM »
I had a similar issue with my new exhaust. It runs within a few mm of offside sill and can knock on LH turns, if fitted poorly. Another possible thing to check, if that fails, is the anti-roll bar drop links. They can knock on turns, if worn.

Aj1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:23:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure its my exhaust hitting into the side of the car, i was investigating after an odd rattling sound from the exhaust.I don't think it's a major issue as iv'e done 10k miles with  it like this lol.
Thank you to everyone that replied...

guest7154

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
I had a similar problem, cornering or heavier breaking caused a weird squeaking sound, like rubber slides on rubber.

After lifting and checking the underneath, I found both of the suspension arm rubber bushes badly worn, changing them made all the problems go away...

guest7168

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »
I had a very similar problem,  knocking noisewhen turning left and accelerating away from a roundabout, thinking it was my cv joints and/or engine mounts it was driving me crazy.  It turned out it was my centre exhaust knocking on the bottom of the frame, as a temporary fix i just removed the rubber hanger but i will either get a straight through pipe or go with a thin flexi pipe to replace it, probably the flexi as its cheaper and easier to do.

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 03:25:11 PM »
Bending the hanger on the exhaust is pretty difficult, but the one on the body is easier.  Bending up is just a case of putting the trolley jack under it, but bending down or sideways requires a bit extra leverage - tightening a pipe wrench on to the hanger then jacking under the handle is enough to move it by 10mm, although might need to put two wheels on the kerb or use stands to get enough room.  If you have a convenient pipe or angle iron then it might be done by hand.
--
TG

Tags: