Author Topic: Vacuum Pump oil change  (Read 1525 times)

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
Vacuum Pump oil change
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »
Hi

I’ve seen elsewhere on the net and in this forum (MK2 section) that vaccuum pumps can be used for an oil change.

I’ve purchased a 12V electric one off amazon which in theory should work similarly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voilamart-Extractor-Submersible-Scavenger-Motorcycles/dp/B07DQH3WGH/ref=asc_df_B07DQH3WGH/

My question is whether the dipstick ok the MK1 is at a point low enough in the sump pan to fully drain the pan.

Appreciate any response thanks!

The reason I chose this route is that I’m having a hard time trying to get the sump bolt off and don’t want to go the breaker bar way, unless the pump method does not work.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
Re: Vacuum Pump oil change
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »
Hi DomnicZZ I have one of those pumps it works ok on MK1 i get all the oill out of the engine very good pump dave

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »
Hi,
I have one a vacuum pumps, but, to be fair it is one of the cheapest on eBay. I did not have that much luck with it as the pipe must have curled up in the oil pan as it only recovered about 1 litre of oil. The quantity of oil recovered should be around 3.6 litres.   The theory of it is sound as for loads of garages the vacuum pump is the default method of oil removal.

Ben

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 10:55:07 AM »
Have had one of these for quite a few years now,  use it for a lot of things not just oil change in car.  Good around the house if you need to get liquid out of anything ( plumbing etc ) - needs no power.  The thing is the supplied tube that goes down the dipstick on the engine is a semi-rigid ( a steel spring inside a plastic sheathing - like the plastic covered spring that gets used for hanging net curtains in a house ) - so does not curl up in the sump, I have measured the amount of oil that comes out of sump and it is pretty much spot on the amount that should  - our drive does slope and the front of engine is lower than the rear so probably get more oil out with pump than through drain plug.  It does mean I can do an oil change without putting overalls on and not worry about drain plug washers or overtightening etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000WZF74M?th=1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 10:57:11 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DomnicZZ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 12:26:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Just did my first ever oil change this morning. The pump worked like a charm. My car is 16 years old, and although has a good service history record of oil changes  every year, I gave it a flush. Liqui moly 500 ml. 15 mins idling with a couple of 2 second dabs  on the accelerator to 2000 rpm . 5 mins wait to cool and It pumped out pretty much everything in about 3 mins . I measured a little below the 6 pint mark in an old milk bottle. So about 3.3Litres. The pipe on this one is full plastic so I could move it around to drink up the last bits like a straw. My parking spot is also about a 5pct incline forward so that probably helped.Changed the filter to an original Honda (from cox). Then filled in 0w30 magnatec and 300 ml of MOS2. A bit of idling to check for leaks and then a short drive to the town centre. Can’t say I can feel anything different yet, but I expect it to roll with a little less resistance when above 2000 rpm. I don’t think I will ever undo the sump plug after finding out how easy this is! Highly recommend method to change oil.

DomnicZZ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 07:39:48 AM »
Just noticed that LIDL Is selling an oil pump, similar that what I used before For £9.99. A good buy for getting oil changes done without getting under the car!

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
Has anyone tried using these pumps to do the automatic or CVT gearbox oil change?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

DomnicZZ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
Hi.

I haven’t done yet, am curious to know how much of the oil I can get out with this pump. I plan to do it in the coming days, perhaps tomorrow. I’ll report back here on how it goes. I’ve bought 2x CVT-F from Cox for the replacement.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
Has anyone tried using these pumps to do the automatic or CVT gearbox oil change?

I can't recall anyone on here mentioning it. It's down to whether you can get to the bottom of the gearbox casing with the suction pipe.

I was never able to use mine to change the engine oil on our last no.1 car, the engine had baffles and balancer shafts in the sump, preventing the pipe reaching the bottom. I could only remove just over half the engine oil.

DomnicZZ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »
Did the change today, was able to extract 2.4 Litres with the pump.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
Did the change today, was able to extract 2.4 Litres with the pump.
Is that on the Mk 1 CVT?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

DomnicZZ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
Yes. MK1 CVT (54 Plate)

Tags:

anything