Author Topic: Going back to manual  (Read 10042 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Going back to manual
« on: December 12, 2015, 10:27:46 AM »
My first Jazz I had was a manual but after a ankle injury my next 2 had to be CVT,s.
I'm thinking of buying the MK3 and find that the position and lightness of the clutch pedal much better than previous models. Sitting in a new Jazz I feel that I should be able to drive a manual again.
Dare I go back to a manual after 8 years.
Also I'm finding that my ankle is painful driving the CVT and I'm wondering if keeping the ankle moving by using the clutch pedal could be better for it.
Decisions Decisions

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Going back to manual
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
I'm thinking the CVT, you can always move your foot/ankle to give it some exercise, but with a manual there is no rest for that left foot, only you know the answer. :-)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
I'm with Trebor on this one. I certainly could not go back to a manual after only 2 years with CVts. Also worth bearing in mind that clutches (which are light when new) often seem to get heavier as they wear. Apart from that I find the CVT very enjoyable to drive, something I could never say about a manual.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
I wonder why I bother!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:30:10 PM by Geoffers »
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
After 4 years of automatic I would be worried about how quickly the brain would adapt to the need to manually move the gear stick and remember to depress the clutch pedal at the right time.

The one attraction of the manual gearbox is the cost saving.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
I was thinking about getting a refresher driving lesson on a manual but trying to find a instructor with a car I can fit into is difficult.
As for the cost I would have to go for a S if I stick with a CVT and get aftermarket sensors fitted
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:58:53 PM by edam »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
Lots of instructors have different size cars, I have a Jazz (but auto). AA has Focus, which chould accommodate most sizes of pupil. Alternatively let me know of your "fit" concerns and you area, and I will see if I can find someone suitable. There are Driving Instructor Facebook pages to help allocate pupils to fellow instructors.

Good luck.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
My "fit" is that I'm 21st, over 6ft tall and have size 13  feet.
Not fit at all really
What I really do like about the MK3 is that its much easier to get in and out of compared to the MK2

guest5710

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 06:32:48 PM »
I've recently transferred from a manual Mazda 2 to a CVT Jazz and have no intention of going back any time soon.  I travel through a city each work day and the automatic is so much more convenient for the heavy traffic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
After 4 years of automatic I would be worried about how quickly the brain would adapt to the need to manually move the gear stick and remember to depress the clutch pedal at the right time.

The one attraction of the manual gearbox is the cost saving.

Don't worry about swapping from manual to auto and back - your body and brain are better than you realise.  I have had periods of years when i  lived abroad and only ever drove auto cars (manual cars were rare as hens teeth),  on returning to UK for holidays (hire cars) or moving back for a longer spells both myself and my wife switched back to manuals without a second thought,  and my wife has had auto cars in UK which i 'had' to drive when we go out together (she won't drive but doesn't miss a chance to criticise my driving LOL - just like Mrs Hyacinth Bucket on keeping up appearances).

A bigger problem for me is to switch from 6 speed manual box on my Civic over to 5 speed box on my wifes Jazz GE,  because 6th gear on Civic is in exactly same place as reverse on the Jazz - ouch !!  Honda really missed a trick by not putting 6 speed box in Jazz,  it needs extra gear more than Civic because of smaller engine.

Auto boxes are 'convenient' (normally the more 'convenient' things are the more they cost) but nowhere near as engaging as a manual box,  and the complexity of auto systems with their special lubricants and continual need for 'flushing' worries me a bit.  Having driven autos a lot I can understand anyone who drives in traffic a lot would want one,  but I am allergic to cities and traffic anyway.

auto boxes can be better on snow than manuals,  if you don't press the loud pedal very hard  they will  select a higher gear to pull away, reducing torque at driving wheels, but I always pull away in second on slippery roads anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:12:18 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
I drive both Subaru Turbo man & wife's CVT Jazz no issues, suggest you try both boxes then be happy with your choice.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
My "fit" is that I'm 21st, over 6ft tall and have size 13  feet.
Not fit at all really
What I really do like about the MK3 is that its much easier to get in and out of compared to the MK2
Same size as me, man-size  ;D

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
just like Mrs Violet Bucket on keeping up appearances

I think you'll find her name is Hyacinth !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
A bigger problem for me is to switch from 6 speed manual box on my Civic over to 5 speed box on my wifes Jazz GE,  because 6th gear on Civic is in exactly same place as reverse on the Jazz - ouch !!  Honda really missed a trick by not putting 6 speed box in Jazz,  it needs extra gear more than Civic because of smaller engine.
Honda have put a 6 speed manual box on the Mk 3 Jazz.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Anytime I hanker after a manual gearbox, I drive for a mile in stop/start traffic and remind myself it would be horrible in a manual.

Tags:

anything