Author Topic: Fog lights.  (Read 2674 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
Fog lights.
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
Here we go again .
I'm completely mystified. ...
A really foggy morning in sun kissed West Midlands.
So, naturally thought that headlights and rear fog light would come on automatically.
But no. Just when the need for an automatic function arises they don't come on.
Tried to switch fog light on but it's spring loaded and won't come on.
Turn on headlights manually and drove away. Halfway to destination looked at dashboard to saw that fog light icon showing " on ".
I know someone will tell me that I have blundered in some way.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Re: Fog lights.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »
The rear fog light won't come one unless the headlights are on. It's usual to have a toggle switch. Don't think the car can tell if it's foggy though so you will have to put the rear fog light on manually. The rear fog light should have come on as soon as you put the headlights on after you played with  the rear fog light switch.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Fog lights.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
Here we go again .
I'm completely mystified. ...
A really foggy morning in sun kissed West Midlands.
So, naturally thought that headlights and rear fog light would come on automatically.
But no. Just when the need for an automatic function arises they don't come on.
Tried to switch fog light on but it's spring loaded and won't come on.
Turn on headlights manually and drove away. Halfway to destination looked at dashboard to saw that fog light icon showing " on ".
I know someone will tell me that I have blundered in some way.

We rarely have fog these days that is thick enough to warrant fog-lights in daylight hours (when we had some industry left and coal fires it used to be called smog and you literally couldn't see the kerb / end of your own bonnet sometimes).  I know people expect everything to be automatic but how is the car supposed to to know when its foggy ? I guess auto headlight didn't come on because it wasn't dark enough.   Honda rear fog-lights won't come on unless headlights are manually turned on because the mechanism on the 'stalk' stops the fog-light control bit turning - fronts will come on when sidelights or headlights are on. Twist rearwards for rear fogs and it will spring back, twist rearwards again to turn off rears,  twist forwards for front fogs - stays put,

I really hate it when at slightest sign of 'mist' people turn all their fogs on - and then often forget to turn them off (at least Honda fogs need putting back on every time you start the car) and drive around for weeks with them still on,  if you can see other cars clearly then I don't think fogs are required.  I have never used front fogs in last 20 years and rear fogs only occasionally.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:24:26 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: