Author Topic: Garmin Sat Nav - Best place to mount offside small fr window?  (Read 18245 times)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Hi, just wondering wherabouts forum owners have located thier Sat Navs ?

Most owners in USA seem to use a Garmin swan neck mount and place the mounting cup on the small front window, so any other suggestions or even better the Garmin Model number of the mount.

Any suggestions/comments?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Garmin Sat Nav - Best place to mount offside small fr window?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
I mounted mine in the centre on the top of the dash, using the sticky Garmin disc.  The swan neck suction mount then goes on to the disc when I want to use it.

Geoffers

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
I use a 'bean bag' mount on top of a non-slip mat!

guest1262

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
I used my new Garmin Nüvi 2300T Sat Nav for the first time this weekend. After deliberating about where to place it I put it on the windscreen to the left (I'm in the UK) of the steering wheel and, so that I could reach it, not too far back. It was well below my eye level (but I am tall). To keep the power cable/aerial out of the way I looped it around the base of the gear lever before plugging it into the 'power outlet' (Garmin's name for the cigarette light socket). Using this arrangement for about 400 miles revealed no problems; and the traffic receiver antenna wasn't needed.

Garmin warn that their sticky-backed disk adhesive is difficult to get off so I didn't try mounting on the dash.

Wouldn't mounting on the side window require taking your eyes off of the road when driving?

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »
Thanks for replies sofar, the ones I favour are here but all LHD

or

Is this better for what I meant about the side window.

I will post the final photo when I've sorted the wiring

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:58:58 PM by olduser1 »

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »
I bought a Bean Bag for less than £8 which is great and leaves no evidence when the SatNav and Bag are removed from the car. The bag and mount can be stored under the boot floor.

Its a pity that the Garmin SatNav even with the latest maps suggests locally going up a dirt track instead of along the main road and also directs me the wrong way up a one way road. Following the SatNav routing often takes longer than my normal routes. Great for the last couple of miles of a journey and finding an unknown destination.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
My Garmin routes me on the right way so I suggest to check your settings-navigation-avoidances (maybe the tick is front of the "traffic" or any other similar one) or update to the latest map.

Just to answer for the 1st post, I placed my navi exactly the same way as Downsizer.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
is that little window strong enough to take the sat nav as its not made of toughened glass

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »
On my Garmin Nuvi 1300 in Avoidances 'Traffic' is ticked and has been since new. Can anyone tell me what this means and what difference it will make if I untick it?

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »
If the traffic is ticked and there is a traffic on your way it will re-route the way without asking you (to avoid the traffic). I unticked in mine, so if traffic is on my way I can touch the traffic button at the main map screen and I can decide to avoid it or not (sometimes the traffic info remains in their system from the previous day and not updated so it gives false alarm).
If you don`t want to drive on an unpaved road put a tick front of it.

mod: I forgot to tell the navigation should be on the "fastest way" option too and not on the "shortest route" because it will take you onto the small roads again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:08:56 PM by DV »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »
My method is perhaps a little different, in my 1.4 Ex I-shift. My sat-nav is mounted on the supplied drinking cup. I have glued a plastic disc to the top of the open cup and have attached the suction pad of my Garmin unit to that. The cup is mounted in the right-hand dashboard cup holder (RH drive car), which is perhaps not too far out of the line of sight and also is a little nearer to see.
The wiring is hidden in the gap between the instrument panel and the steering colunm housing, so it is quite a neat setup.
I think sticking the sat-nav to the small window, advertises the fact a little too much and I am fortunate that the silver/black finish of the Garmin unit blends in well with the dashboard colours.

Best regards.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:01 AM »
My sat-nav is mounted on the supplied drinking cup. I have glued a plastic disc to the top of the open cup and have attached the suction pad of my Garmin unit to that.

Full marks for ingenuity!  I've never fancied drinking out of this cup either, and I use mine in the same place as a waste-paper-basket.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »
Using the very good Garmin suction mount I always fit my Garmin 1490T (5" screen) on the drivers window just above the door mirror, it is inconspicuous from outside the car easy to reach, does not obscure the door mirror and is easy to look at (just as easy in fact as glancing in the rear view mirror).

I have had people say that it stops you opening the drivers door window, but window will still lower by about 150mm, enough to pass out car-park money etc, and anyway it is soooh easy to click unit off the window.  Cable just drapes neatly across and through the gap between steering wheel column surround and dashboard, with a nice loop in the cable to allow door to open fully.

Using it in this position I have never had a problem with losing satellite signal.  I normally use my Garmin for 'safety camera' position and the last few miles of a journey.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
culzean - Good idea for mounting the sat Nav.
I plan to fit over this weekend & intend to supply photos once installed.

I can't convince myself at present to fit the Garmin mount onto the dash - which is where my local Garmin agent suggested.
----- Double Post Prevention - new post below: 1301177018 -----
Now solved as per culzean - thanks

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:04:21 PM by olduser1 »

guest907

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:45:22 AM »
I found my Garmin self adhesive disc didn't last long when stuck on top of the dash behind the face vents and once it comes loose that's it.

I also use the right hand dash bottle holder with the sat nav attached to the screen mount. With the mount position reversed it sits nicely in the holder and the sat nav sits across the opening. Wires across above column cowl by instruments to cig lighter. Easy to remove when I stop and no marks on any glass.

Tags:

anything