Author Topic: Jazz security.  (Read 15485 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Jazz security.
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
There was an interesting program on BBC1 this morning which related to scams and theft etc.
There was an item on car security, particularly concerning cars with keyless entry and how easy it was in some circumstances to gain unauthorised entry and start the car.
This prompted me into checking my Jazz EX model.
It seems that the the remote key has to be on my person to be able to open the door, leaving the key on the ground a matter of 1 metre away, prevented entry.
I then tried to start the car, again without the remote key being on me and the car was completely dead, with a message on the info screen asking me to put the remote near to the keyhole.
So it would appear the we are reasonably secure.
The moral of this is, never leave the house without your keys, since (1)You can't get back in the house and (2)You can't get in your car either!!! Oh yes I forgot, and it's raining!!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Jazz security.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
What I find strange is you can get out of the car with your key in your pocket, the car will beep at you but the engine stays running. Does this mean in this scenario that someone could drive away without the key?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
What I find strange is you can get out of the car with your key in your pocket, the car will beep at you but the engine stays running. Does this mean in this scenario that someone could drive away without the key?

A driver could easily be breaking the law if car is on a public road and driver is not in the car and the engine is running (not in control of vehicle) - also many get fines under anti pollution laws if parked even on your own driveway with engine running, especially when driver is not in the car (leaving car unattended to warm up while your are in the house having a brew).  I am surprised that some high-end cars have facility to remotely start the engine - surely that is illegal as well.

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/10-motoring-laws-you-have-no-idea-youre-breaking
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
My assumption is that the car will get more urgent as it gets lonely without the key until at some point a timer expires and the engine switches off, this might even be a few minutes.  It should be long enough to open a garage door at least.  I know that you can still park a Mini when someone walks into the supermarket with the keys in their handbag.
--
TG

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »
Hi

I could be wrong sorry, as I did not watch bbc this morning but have watched a program over keyless car theft.

I think they used a signal amplifier to amplify the keyfob so it appears as though it is extremely close to the car, even though it is not. Hence car opens, engine starts and thieves drives off without the owner aware. The program showed this method took less then 40 seconds

Many thanks

John

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
It's one of the reasons why I don't use the fob. Unlock by putting hand inside door handle and lock by pressing "button" on door handle.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
Don't worry too much, it's a Jazz,  not a 300+ bhp German autobahn stormer. The scrotes would not risk damaging their street cred by even contemplating being seen in a Jazz by their mates. :-)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:24:24 PM by Deeps »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
You can also start the car if your key is in your golf bag in the boot. Something I've done a few times and caused myself a moment of panic when I get to my front door after a round and discover I don't have my keys on me  :o :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
According to the advert for Mercedes Me, the car will even drive out from between two close parked vehicles with the driver standing outside!

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
I saw the same programme. It was a £40,000 mercedes and as d2d4j says they did use a signal amplifier (caught on security camera). The signal was picked up from the key inside the house, amplified by the signal amplifier so the car thought it was close by, the car unlocked and the engine was able to be started. I suppose these cars don't have steering locks as they wouldn't be keyless (as in no keyed entry etc) as per the Jazz. They also mentioned being able to clone a key's chip by attaching to the OBD port with a device and laptop. Again unless they have a master key the steering lock would need "modifying". The programme recommended a good old fashion visible steering lock through the steering wheel. I still have a "Krook lock" but admit to not using it unless I'm parking somewhere really dodgy (but I suppose thieves can strike anywhere). 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
They also mentioned being able to clone a key's chip by attaching to the OBD port with a device and laptop.

Next door neighbour has a Ford ST,  the first thing he was advised to do was move the OBD port and hide it away,  99% of them get nicked via OBD port and laptop.  It has been broken into twice while in street or carpark but because no access to OBD could not be driven away,  he is still worried about leaving it parked anywhere and when at home it always gets put in garage.

Wireless security is a bit of an oxymoron,  if something uses radio waves or is connected to internet it is anything but secure (one of the reasons we outwitted the Germans in WW1 and 2 was that we had a properly secure cable network to USA and far flung corners of the empire,  Nazis had to use wireless and we could listen in and crack their codes).

My first Civic had an Infra-Red remote,  receiver was by drivers rearview mirror in the interior light cluster,  you could point it through windscreen or side windows to unlock, not as long a range or 'convenient' as RF remote,  but much more secure

After a scare a few years ago where I had a message come up on computer about 'you computer has been encrypted etc.' I read up about internet security (I had a recent image of HD backed up on Acronis,  so just restored complete hard drive so no drama) .  Rule number one is never use an account with admin rights to access internet - this is a mistake a lot of people make apparently and leaves your whole computer vulnerable.  Also use a very strong password for admin.  I never worry about writing passwords down and keeping them at home in a safe place (I keep mine on a USB stick in a password protected file, so only need to remember one password, and only need to plug it in occasionally when i forget an obscure password, after which it is unplugged from computer so cannot be seen online) may be different if you need to keep them from teenagers at home). The main threat is online not from a member of your family,  and if some scrote breaks into your house,  having them find your passwords  may be the least of your worries.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:20:29 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
here is a newsletter from our local Honda dealership.

http://www.jthughes.co.uk/Blog/View/Shropshire-Vehicle-Theft-Increases-as-Criminals-get-Hi-Tech-Share-this/11731?utm_campaign=8859966_Jt%20Hughes%20newsletter%20Nov%202017&utm_medium=email&utm_source=JT%20Hughes%20Marketing

The police recommendations are lower down the page,  seems physical devices like crooklocks are selling again.  Police recommend that with keyless systems the device is kept in an RFID pouch (or a metal tin or wrapped in aluminium foil when in the house).  Some thieves get car started via OBD port, as our neighbour found out with his Ford ST.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:46:04 PM by culzean »

guest5079

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
Would one of the credit card holders do? They are aluminium and allegedly stop card readers being used by passers by. Quite cheap and fit nicely into the pocket Of course if you don't have many credit cards one might be able to use the same holder. OR would there be a problem?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 04:38:14 PM »
Would one of the credit card holders do? They are aluminium and allegedly stop card readers being used by passers by. Quite cheap and fit nicely into the pocket Of course if you don't have many credit cards one might be able to use the same holder. OR would there be a problem?

Any 'Faraday cage' will do to stop signal, does not even have to be solid metal. Look at the 'see through' door on your microwave oven.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
I don't quite understand the RFID theory, surely  when the keyfob is in the house, it is not transmitting any signal unless the fob button is pressed? If it is transmitting 24/7 then the battery would not last long, so how is the signal generated, for an amplifier to pick up?

Tags:

anything