Author Topic: Jazz security.  (Read 15483 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Jazz security.
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
The RFID tag is a dumb chip that gets interrogated by the vehicle and replies with a code, I guess the bad guys replicate the vehicle signal and pick up the resulting reply and amplify it to send to vehicle receiver.  The chip in the contactless debit cards is same principle but shorter range, which is how the card can be scanned in your pocket or wallet by previously mentioned bad guys.  Nothing wireless can ever be secure.

The chips don't really need a power supply they get power they need from signal that interrogates them, which is why if battery in fob goes they still allow car to be started.

OBD port locks are available, the crooks can download info they need to program new chip via the port.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:29:46 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
I don't quite understand the RFID theory, surely  when the keyfob is in the house, it is not transmitting any signal unless the fob button is pressed? If it is transmitting 24/7 then the battery would not last long, so how is the signal generated, for an amplifier to pick up?

I think you have spotted the bullshine.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
I don't quite understand the RFID theory, surely  when the keyfob is in the house, it is not transmitting any signal unless the fob button is pressed? If it is transmitting 24/7 then the battery would not last long, so how is the signal generated, for an amplifier to pick up?
It is not the keyfob that is the issue. It is the credit card keyless entry that some cars have. The car sends the signal to the card and the card replies. It doesn't have a battery. Same principle as my key has for the immobiliser (no remote locking on my car).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
The truly keyless entry system on the EX and higher does not require any button to be pressed. The fob just has to be within range of the vehicle when someone puts their hand through the door handle. I assume that the car is transmitting 24/7 and the keyfob is listening 24/7 and responds when it detects the car.

So a clever criminal could use an amplifier to boost the car's signal and then another to boost the keyfob's response. This would increase the range and potentially allow them to unlock the car and start the engine while your keyfob is still in the house.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:21:27 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 07:31:07 PM »
For a £50K car in demand in far flung areas maybe, for a Jazz, delusions of grandeur, it's a Japanese Fiesta. If it is so easy why do the bad guys housebreak for the keys of expensive cars?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:33:28 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
But if you are a car thief, prowling the streets looking for suitable BMWs, and your electronics trigger the entry system on a Jazz, you will probably take it.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 08:08:36 PM »
But if you are a car thief, prowling the streets looking for suitable BMWs, and your electronics trigger the entry system on a Jazz, you will probably take it.

And into a shipping container and off to Africa within hours, a jazz is not worth the shipping cost or the risk. I didn't know there was rapid shipment from our area now the Zeebrugge ferry has stopped.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:10:35 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
The biggest market for car thieves is stripping them and selling parts for spares. A Jazz will make a pretty penny sold for parts and eBay and Gumtree have made this even easier.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
The biggest market for car thieves is stripping them and selling parts for spares. A Jazz will make a pretty penny sold for parts and eBay and Gumtree have made this even easier.
This is probably a good point. Although Honda make reliable cars if you do need spares they are expensive. I also think that whilst a Jazz is not a high value luxury vehicle a new model could be worth up to £14k sold privately. I think it's unlikely that anyone sets out to steal one to order but as Jocko said if a thief happens gain access it's a pretty neat haul for a night's work. The equipment to do this can be probably be bought online for a hundred quid or so - we're not talking about Raffles here. Just an above average oik from the bad side of town.

Personally I don't worry is because mine is kept in a locked garage overnight.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:39:30 AM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
Personally I don't worry is because mine is kept in a locked garage overnight.
Me too.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
So when the low life have beaten you up for your keys they will be back to repeat the persuasion to open the garage. Mine is in the garage as well, my diversion tactics are the 5.something litre V8 Mercedes and BMW X5 3.0 diesel the neighbours each side keep on their drives. :-)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:20:18 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
I feel quite secure because my garage is miles away from my flat, my car is worth Jack Sh*T, and if the wide boys wanted some cash they would be better ripping off a bottle of Buckie or Mad Dog from the shop across the road!
In fact, now my gearbox is knackered, the insurance pay out would probably be worth more to me than the car, and with my no claims protection would see me well fettled (if my car goes missing in the next few weeks remind me to delete this post).

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
I was wondering if anyone used any additional security.
Stop lock, disk lock or any other?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
I used to always use a Krooklock, then I saw a demonstration on how easy they were to remove and threw it away!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
Speaking of cars in garages, I had a Focus 2.0 TDCI recalled to have the radiator fan rewired as it was always powered up and corrosion in the controller was liable to cause a fire even if the car was switched off. A bit disturbing as it had been kept in my garage overnight for three years and my garage is built into my house.

Tags: