Author Topic: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen  (Read 15690 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Problem of poor sensitivity of audio touch screen
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
Look for touch screen stylus on eBay and you can find a pack of 10 for £1.69, or 3 packs for 2.  I've been giving them away to friends with iPads etc.

Must try the stylus thing. I've got 2 that came with mobile phone cases if memory serves.

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
There are several types of touch screen, the two main ones are resistive and capacitive - I have dry skin on fingers and touch screens sometimes don't work on capacitive type. You can poke a resistive screen with just about anything,  but capacitive screens ( i-phone and it looks like Honda touchscreen  ) need something a bit more special, try licking your finger before touching the screen ( like a lot of people have to do before they can separate a thin plastic bag ).

https://www.dummies.com/education/internet-basics/2-types-of-touchscreens-to-know/
I tried licking my finger at an early stage, but it didn’t seem to affect the proportion of times the screen responded to being touched.

I did find out about the two different types of touch screen, but I didn’t notice any reference to this when looking for a stylus that would work on the screen. We seem better informed than Honda.  When I suggested I might be able to use a small block of a suitable material to press against the screen, and asked what properties their touch screen registers, and which materials have high levels of this property, they told me:
There aren’t any known problems with the sensitivity of the touch screens on our vehicles. The design of the system is to respond to a human touch and has not been designed or tested to work with any other material.
Honda (UK) do not manufacturer any particular glove or material that is designed to work with the screen so I am unable to suggest an alternative option for you.

Chris

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
The touchscreen thing is irritating - I doubt if it is down to the EU though. More specifically, it does seem a bit erratic. I've found that the actual tip of my finger doesn't always work so I use the softer skin on the inside of my finger if that makes sense. That usually works. Are these things sensitive to body heat?
I use my left thumb to poke the OK button. The bigger lump of flesh makes it more likely that the poke will register.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest6935

• Topic Starter
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
The touchscreen thing is irritating - I doubt if it is down to the EU though. More specifically, it does seem a bit erratic. I've found that the actual tip of my finger doesn't always work so I use the softer skin on the inside of my finger if that makes sense. That usually works. Are these things sensitive to body heat?
I use my left thumb to poke the OK button. The bigger lump of flesh makes it more likely that the poke will register.
I tried finger or thumb, licking or not, pressing hard, touching gently or tapping, but no direct manual method seemed more likely to work than any other.

Chris

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
I tried finger or thumb, licking or not, pressing hard, touching gently or tapping, but no direct manual method seemed more likely to work than any other.

Chris

I am one of the lucky ones and have never had any issues.  But a word of warning: Pressing the screen hard will make absolutely no difference and you are more likely to damage it.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2018, 04:29:14 PM »

Chris

I am one of the lucky ones and have never had any issues.  But a word of warning: Pressing the screen hard will make absolutely no difference and you are more likely to damage it.
Same here. I occasionally miss the button but it's always responded appropriately to where ever I've touched it.

Tags:

anything