Author Topic: e:Ny1  (Read 32858 times)

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
Re: e:Ny1
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2023, 06:25:28 PM »
DM Keith no doubt have many loyal Honda clients whom bought Hondas before DM took over the Honda dealership and would still offer the Honda servicing -after all it’s one of the best dealer revenues after finance commissions and incentives !

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2023, 06:38:10 AM »
The Honda E in my hands for a year, whilst a terrific city car, was very disappointing in efficiency, averaging just 3 mile/kWh over the 12 months.

Speaking to a colleague of mine this morning, he tells me, his Tesla, now 3 years old, is still averaging  6 miles/kwh.
Charging overnight at around 7p/kwh, which has got be cheap motoring.
I thought I was doing well,  getting 84mpg on my regular trip, from Solihull to Stratford-on-avon, with my Advance Jazz, but I can’t compete with that. :o

I am not sure the low cost overnight charging is a solution for all. If you only do a low mileage, then the in crease in peak period charges more than outweighs any night savings. Then for high mileage drivers, the limited cheap charging period is insufficient to fully charge a car and then one needs to top up on the road using the high cost rapid chargers.
When I had the E, changing to an EV tariff would have increased my peak electricity costs by nearly £300/year.
Factor in the ca £1000 for installation of a home charger(depreciate at £250/year over 4 years), the increased cost of buying and insuring an EV, then the 84mpg starts to look very attractive.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2023, 08:51:41 AM »
It doesn't make any sense to buy a new EV at the moment, the ones being sold are mainly for company car schemes. Private buyers are better off buying 12-month old models, eg a 22-plate Tesla Model 3 can be bought for under £30K.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2023, 11:14:33 AM »
I care less  about the cost per KW or miles per KW/H  . Its the range that makes EV's unsuitable for my current lifestyle (excuse pun)  .

I sometimes  drive 400 +miles  in a day, sometimes in places where you are more likely to see a wild bear than a charging point . EV charging infrastructure is still a long way from meeting that need in most countries .

At the moment the ability to chose my own route, locations, hotels etc without having to factor in diverting to find chargers, extra stops etc  probably saves  me more  than any savings on petrol .   But maybe not in Eco terms  . I accept mine is probably a selfish lifestyle, and I try to be eco friendly in other ways. (very few short journeys  by car  -I usually walk    - meat free days, careful use of home heating, a car no bigger than I really need  etc)   

Maybe EV's will improve, and my needs will decline and we will meet somewhere in the middle quite soon.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 11:18:35 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2023, 12:12:00 PM »
I have just had to do a 340 mile round trip in a day .I couldn’t have done the travelling in an EV and still had time to do what I needed to when I arrived . Even with all motorway travel I still got 57 mpg and a thats not driving lightly ! The jazz does a splendid job of high speed driving IMHO !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2023, 12:55:04 PM »
I no longer want or am capable of driving 300 miles a day. But 200 is likely and possible (twice this year).
In the range of s/h BEVs available that I could afford, range is c 150 miles in summer and less in winter.
SO to me a s/h BEV which is affordable is marginal.

Then we will need a new circuit breaker - currently 60Watt: need 100Watt. Which means a new control unit. And wiring a new spur to the garage - approx 30 meters through two ceilings. Add a charger and very little change from £3k..   (The house is 200 years old with 1 meter thick stone walls.) And then we have to buy a car.

The sums make no sense. The hassle is obvious.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2023, 02:06:09 PM »
Silly money. However good it might be I'm not spending anything like that amount on a leccy car. The world's gone bonkers.
:D Agreed 100%!

£44k is far too much money to spend on any car imho. A nice pre-loved Jazz would be my preference. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2023, 02:30:30 PM »
Watch this space in about a year :)

Sep 21, 3,700 miles, garaged from new
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2023, 03:03:27 PM »
Watch this space in about a year :)

Sep 21, 3,700 miles, garaged from new
I've read so many good things about the mk4, and had a sit in one. So plush compared to the mk2. Better mpg, ride, toys and sound proofing too!

Problem is, my Jazz is just about to hit 130k and is still in fine shape. I'm too tight to get rid of such a reliable old car that has been so faithfull. Be nice to have a newer car, but when the old one is still working well with the added bonus of it being worth more than I paid for it >45k miles ago!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2023, 03:11:11 PM »
Once I've moved and I'm sorted I'll have no need for a car

If I kept it I would probably only do about 300 miles a year with most of that the monthly run to charge the HV battery

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
£44k is far too much money to spend on any car imho. A nice pre-loved Jazz would be my preference.

Indeed, £44k is far too much money to spend on (even a brandnew) car. Even a brandnew JAZZ e:HEV Advance with metallic paint will set you back £28.5k. In September 2021 our EX was just under £19k here in Poland. Honda is going bonkers...  ???
A brandnew electric with a 265-mile range , a bit bigger (and spacier) than that Jazz and better equiped you buy for some £1k more...
And maybe a range of 265 miles is not enough for everyone (Lord V), but for many here it is more than enough.
The point remains that even spending around £30k on a car is a bit ehhhh... (too) much.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 03:45:11 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2023, 03:41:57 PM »
Not only that but UK insurance is going crazy

Just been reading about some insurance renewals rising from circa £400 to £700 with no change of details

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2023, 05:41:58 PM »
I no longer want or am capable of driving 300 miles a day. But 200 is likely and possible (twice this year).
In the range of s/h BEVs available that I could afford, range is c 150 miles in summer and less in winter.
SO to me a s/h BEV which is affordable is marginal.

Then we will need a new circuit breaker - currently 60Watt: need 100Watt. Which means a new control unit. And wiring a new spur to the garage - approx 30 meters through two ceilings. Add a charger and very little change from £3k..   (The house is 200 years old with 1 meter thick stone walls.) And then we have to buy a car.

The sums make no sense. The hassle is obvious.

Yes - you have to factor in changes that might be required to your domestic wiring set up. I'm pretty sure we would require some upgrades. In addition to that we would need quite a log run from the consumer unit out to the charger which would be on the front wall.

Given my low mileage I could probably manage with a granny cable and a straightforward outdoor socket but it's not worth the hassle. Given my age I'm reasonably confident the Jazz will see me out.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2023, 05:46:20 PM »
Not only that but UK insurance is going crazy

Just been reading about some insurance renewals rising from circa £400 to £700 with no change of details

Dreading my renewal in January next year so a nice post Christmas present. I paid £350 in January this year so I am braced for £600 - maybe more. One thing I might do is have a serious look at any extras I have and also my annual mileage. I think I told them 4,000 last time because I wanted a bit of a buffer but I did just under 2,000 and I simply can't see me doing more than around 1,750 in the coming year.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2023, 05:51:49 PM »
Public charging infrastructure, which in its current state is poor and real range are significant negatives. But it's the porkies that the brochures tell, that try to pull the wool over the eyes of the uninitiated.
First take the estimated range, well in the real world, expect around 80-85% of that number, worse in the winter. Then the recommended charging of 20-80%, gives you 60% of that range. So if you start with a 280 mile range, you are probably looking for a charger every 140 miles or so.
To rub salt into the wound, once you find your charger, hoping its not occupied and working, it most likely meant a detour from your route and then you will most likely be plugging it in and faffing around to start the charge in the pouring rain, as most have zero weather protection.
The Jazz when I fill up often shows around a 600 mile range, my less economical second (fun)car still has a range of around 500 miles. Life is too short to waste my time siting around waiting for a battery to charge.

I live in a small close of 10 houses and there are 3 Mk3 Jazz's and 2 Mk4 Jazz's, maybe its a start of a trend.

Tags: