Author Topic: change from Foam Tyre repair to spare wheel  (Read 4648 times)

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
change from Foam Tyre repair to spare wheel
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:14:08 PM »
Mk3 1.3 S CVT came with the Foam repair kit...Aaagh! Honda spare wheel and Foam insert was huge price. Bought a new (unused) 15" Jazz space saver from Ebay. Big problem...the 'cardboard' boot floor sags with the handbook on it. Made template of boot floor cut to shape on 12mm Ply shaped sides so board would lift without catching wheel arches. Cut a strip of the same ply to fit the gap between the main sheet and the back of the seat. Covered the board (both sides in 4 way stretch van/camper conversion lining carpet (1m x 2m from The Metal House on Amazon £11.99) - used the proper high temp spray adhesive supplied. FANTASTIC! Carpet surface is better than the Honda boot carpet. As the ply is supported front, back and sides on the solid metal of the boot (over the flimsy board) it looks smart and supports a lot of weight. Win win situation - have a spare wheel, the original foam repair can, loads of storage space under boot floor and better carpet finish.

Ed the Jazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: change from Foam Tyre repair to spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:18:37 PM »
have not been able to att photos as file too big

guest9236

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »
Mk3 1.3 S CVT came with the Foam repair kit...Aaagh! Honda spare wheel and Foam insert was huge price. Bought a new (unused) 15" Jazz space saver from Ebay. Big problem...the 'cardboard' boot floor sags with the handbook on it. Made template of boot floor cut to shape on 12mm Ply shaped sides so board would lift without catching wheel arches. Cut a strip of the same ply to fit the gap between the main sheet and the back of the seat. Covered the board (both sides in 4 way stretch van/camper conversion lining carpet (1m x 2m from The Metal House on Amazon £11.99) - used the proper high temp spray adhesive supplied. FANTASTIC! Carpet surface is better than the Honda boot carpet. As the ply is supported front, back and sides on the solid metal of the boot (over the flimsy board) it looks smart and supports a lot of weight. Win win situation - have a spare wheel, the original foam repair can, loads of storage space under boot floor and better carpet finish.

Sounds a good job well done what do you estimate total cost  without wheel.would be  I am interested.

Ed the Jazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »
Carpet inc high temp spray adhesive was £11.99,  2 x sheets ply approx £35 from B&Q. Used 2 sheets as boards were flat an square. Rest was time, patience and measuring. Well worth the effort.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
I assume this won't work with the last few Mk3 years, 2019 onwards was the underfloor space reduced by a different metal boot floor pressing so it doesn't accept even a space saver wheel? I think someone elsewhere on the forum found this out when collecting a 2019 model.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »
I have an October 2019 Jazz and there is plenty of room for a space saver spare. The only issue is that it stands about 10mm proud of the floor but I can live with that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:31:56 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Muldoon

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »
I have an October 2019 Jazz and there is plenty of room for a space saver spare. The only issue is that it stands about 10mm proud of the floor but I can live with that.

Thanks Derkie, those space savers are usually very slim and as you say hardly creates a massive intrusion into the boot space as a price for the assurance of having a form of spare to fit and get mobile quickly in the event of a puncture. I have not suffered a puncture for ten years but you know the time you rely on a foam cannister something will happen...

Ed the Jazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »
My mk3 is 2016 and has deep spare wheel well and the threaded location to screw the wheel in securely.  Have been told newer models have no provision to hold a space saver.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 06:02:11 PM »
Although mine has plenty of room for a space saver you're right when you say it cannot be bolted down.
Honda have deleted the tapped hole.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
I suppose you could create an alternative to the tapped hole and captive bolt by adding your own U shaped bracket to the boot floor, secured by araldite, then use this to loop some bungee cords or similar round the wheel to prevent it moving about.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
I suppose you could create an alternative to the tapped hole and captive bolt by adding your own U shaped bracket to the boot floor, secured by araldite, then use this to loop some bungee cords or similar round the wheel to prevent it moving about.

There are lots of solutions Muldoon

The wheel well is a lot bigger than the wheel, I store things around the wheel and it doesn't move around.
You could argue that it might come out of the well in an accident, there are tie down rings in the boot so you could strap it down or put a net over it.
In my case my wifes wheelchair holds it down and that is strapped in position.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »
My mk3 is 2016 and has deep spare wheel well and the threaded location to screw the wheel in securely.  Have been told newer models have no provision to hold a space saver.
My MY2019 (built September 2018) also has a deep spare wheel well and a threaded bracket for securing the spare wheel. 

Last week I had a look on a MY2020 GK3 Jazz on dealer's showroom, and as mentioned here previously, it has much shallower shape boot floor, which would not fit for storing any spare wheel. Outside under the boot there is a bolted very sturdy tray, which purpose I don't get. Does somebody know what is it?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:26:33 PM by TnTkr »

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
My MY2019 (built September 2018) also has a deep spare wheel well and a threaded bracket for securing the spare wheel. 

Last week I had a look on a MY2020 GK3 Jazz on dealer's showroom, and as mentioned here previously, it has much shallower shape boot floor, which would not fit for storing any spare wheel. Outside under the boot there is a bolted very sturdy tray, which purpose I don't get. Does somebody know what is it?
What purpose is the external tray for?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
Maybe a "Sump guard" for the traction battery.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
Maybe a "Sump guard" for the traction battery.
But there is no traction battery, the car is regular petrol GK3, no hybrid. It's hard to believe Honda would include a tray for nothing.

Tags:

anything