Author Topic: My honda jazz likes supermarket petrol  (Read 2385 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: My honda jazz likes supermarket petrol
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 11:56:51 AM »
I'm gradually coming round to the view that supermarket fuel is fine. I think I've fallen for a lot of the clever marketing and various conspiracy theories on the internet.

I used to use it without a second thought!

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:52 PM »
It might be that the major factor is particular station throughput, more petrol sold = more fresh stock.
I however believe in no ethanol so Esso Supreme for me :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 10:47:54 PM »
We cannot buy non-ethanol fuel in Scotland, and a large part of England is the same. Great you can get it in your local.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 01:28:47 PM »
It might be that the major factor is particular station throughput, more petrol sold = more fresh stock.
I however believe in no ethanol so Esso Supreme for me :)
Esso Supreme contains 5% ethanol in southwest England  (stated on esso website).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »
There are very few parts of the country where ethanol is not added. I don't know why some areas are exempt.

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 05:59:27 PM »
My recent experience with ethanol in fuel is that although it may state 5% ethanol at the pump the reality is that it's actually less. I found this out because up until last year I had a Ducati motorcycle that was fitted with a plastic fuel tank and it was common knowledge amongst owners, particularly those in parts of the USA that the ethanol fuel was damaging the fuel tanks.
I was curious about the fuel we had in this country and also concerned about potential damage to my bike, as a result I bought an 'Ethanil' fuel testing kit. Over several months I got fuel from several different local petrol stations and found that for the most part the ethanol content was less than five percent, usually around 2 or 3%, and never above 4%. I also found that the local BP garage Ultimate 97 octane was lower than 2%. I can't vouch for the ultimate accuracy of these tests, I just followed the instructions as per the 'Ethanil' kit. Needless to say I always used BP Ultimate whenever possible.
For the most part I'm refuelling my Jazz at Tesco using the 95ron cooking fuel. It runs fine.
I think therefore I'm not.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »
For anyone who wants to check how much ethanol is in petrol, it is easy enough measured.

https://www.delphiautoparts.com/gbr/en/toolbox/how-test-alcohol-content-gasoline

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »
Ever since I got my Jazz, I've been putting only Esso Supreme in it but few weeks back I had no choice but to fuel up on local not-very-frequented Texaco station. The next day I noticed it has lost a bit of an edge in the way it was responding.
Again, I blame shelf-life of modern petrol to which ethanol will contribute in a significant way as it will draw moisture even from the air.

Tags: