Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175371 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:01 AM »
It's complicated, there's a thread I can't find again that explained how the charging controller and ECU look at engine temperature, revs etc and if the load from the alternator would harm fuel consumption it lets the alternator spin freely, but only if the battery voltage is high enough.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

MPG_Junkie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES manual
« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2020, 07:37:33 PM »

The biggest improvements to mpg are seen when you make the most use of DFCO and anticipation.

I also do a bit of coasting when it is appropriate.

This is the first time I came across the term DFCO. This is one of the main things I do all the time. As long as there is nobody behind me pressurising me, when I see a red light I take the foot off and watch the light as I approach, instead of rushing to it only to stand there and having to move off from 0mph. MPGs alone, stopping and gaining speed from 0mph simply annoys me.

I used to do coasting a lot when I first bought my MK1 but I stopped this completely as I was worried that I was damaging my gearbox.

I know a lot of people will try to get best possible fuel efficiency in order to save money. Which is a bonus but to be honest I can afford the petrol I burn. This has simply turned into an obsession and a bit of a "game". I can't see myself quitting this any time soon. Unless my car was able to deliver consistent 55 MPGs effortlessly.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2020, 08:14:34 PM »
I can afford the petrol I burn. This has simply turned into an obsession and a bit of a "game".
This is exactly the same as me. I regularly use a longer route to return from my son's as it returns better mpg. The short route burns less petrol but doesn't return such good numbers. One 6.3 mile section has returned 108 mpg from one end to the other.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »
I can relate to the "obssession" as well. One of the joys of Fuelly.com is the plethora of pie charts and graphs. I love a good pie chart :D

Sjazzy18

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se auto 2018 model.
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2020, 07:50:17 PM »
Depends who drives. Motorway with me driving using cruise control and a bit of patience 55 - 60. My wife usually is less being a bit impatient & doesn't use the cruise control so will manage 55 or less. Round town stop start 45-50. We don't worry about it, just put more in.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2020, 07:11:11 AM »
I too love a good pie chart. One of my favourite facts is they were invented by Florence Nightingale. She wasn't particularly the figure of womanly virtue suggested by 'the lady with the lamp', she was a first rate statistician who developed a pie chart to show the powers that be what an horrendous proportion of the soldiers in the Crimean war were dying in hospital from poor hygiene.

My second favourite was the one on the loyalty card from the Pie and Mash shop in Skipton. Real attention to detail and their pies were fantastic. Sadly it closed recently, presumably they retired. I wonder if they bought a Jazz...

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #276 on: November 04, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »

My 2012 CVT is consistently averaging around 43mpg - Fuelly.
90% urban driving.. very hilly...

Tipped in a full bottle of injector cleaner last fillup (car has done 45k miles) and appear to be seeing slight improvement - maybe 1-2 mpg. But it will take 6 months to tell if a blip or not..

That's mighty impressive, my 2012 CVT gets around 30-35mpg in urban driving, not sure what I'm doing wrong because I take it easy and the revs virtually never go over 2000rpm and hover somewhere between 1200-1400rpm.

Can you please explain how you drive your CVT for best fuel economy, say from pull off to the next traffic light stop?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #277 on: November 04, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »
Can you please explain how you drive your CVT for best fuel economy, say from pull off to the next traffic light stop?
I don't have a CVT but I have had other autos for 25 years. If you have to use more than a little brakes to stop at the next set of lights you are using fuel you don't need to. The secret of fuel-efficient driving is anticipation which means leaving a bigger gap between yourself and the vehicle in front. Lift off the throttle early to allow your car to slow down instead of driving up to the light then having to brake. The heat that is generated by braking can only come from one place. The petrol you have burnt getting up to the speed you are trying to reduce.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »

Tipped in a full bottle of injector cleaner last fillup (car has done 45k miles) and appear to be seeing slight improvement - maybe 1-2 mpg. But it will take 6 months to tell if a blip or not..

That's mighty impressive, my 2012 CVT gets around 30-35mpg in urban driving, not sure what I'm doing wrong because I take it easy and the revs virtually never go over 2000rpm and hover somewhere between 1200-1400rpm.

First of all I diy service.
Car is standard but all brakes work without ANY dragging, the wheel bearings are OK, the oil and filter are changed every year AND the air filter is clean. Tyres pressures checked weekly

These are all essentials. Car has done 45k miles. Used on long 100+miles motorway journey twice a year, No other motorway travel. Michelin Cross Climate tyres with 15k miles on ..

We live on a 2km  long  hill which rises 200 meters. We are 400 meters along it from the bottom at approx 40 meters height. A 30mph limit but impossible to drive further up faster than an average 25mph (Very twisty with blind corners - lots of crashes (including a Defender half way up a tree)

Starting from cold:
 MPG from display

Going uphill : after 1 mile (at top hill), engine light went out after 500meters . 15mpg on display
Going downhill: after 1 mile - downhill then flat engine light still blue
I drive out of our gates and go downhill with a cold engine After 2kms of driving on the flat, engine temperature light still blue.  34mpg on display.

I usually go downhill  as it is fastest way to shops.
All my journeys  are 30mph limits except a 3 miles section dual carriageway which is 50/60mph.

I tend to drive outside rush hour.
I accelerate gently. Roads are hilly so coast down hill at 30mph with minimal throttle.  Accelerate as little as possible uphill consistent with doing 30mph (I do not dawdle)
I anticipate traffic lights. And roundabouts. I only stop when I have to - especially roundabouts.. I slow down but if clear do not go below 25mph.

I do not brake hard except in emergencies or nutters deciding to change direction without warning.(35-40k miles from front pads).

On flats I try to drive with Economy light (green) showing. 
As it's a CVT gearchanges are imperceptible so I try to drive as smoothly as possible - like a chauffeur.
When I park, all manoeuvering done when engine is warm (when I arrive) so less moving when leaving (engine cold).
When engine is cold .. and blue light on, rich fuel mixture so minimise acceleration - except when leaving drive as blind exit.

No tail gating .. too risky and too much braking.

On fast roads use lorry slipstreams to help acceleration.
Calculate mpg each tankful using Fuelly  so much more accurate than display. So any changes noted . Sudden drops could be cold weather or a fault.

And every month use 3,000 too 5,000 rpm for at least 5 miles on dual carriageway to clean engine and  (original ) plugs..
Standard Sainsbury 95 octane petrol.

If I just drive around town with no dual carriageway driving deduct 3-6 mpg.
If its is rain and and windy -2mpg

I averaged 36mpg one tank when we had half a meter of snow in 2013.(not fun on Dunlop Energy Savers on hills)

My Fuelly name is madasafish 42.8mpg over 8 years. Fuelly.com
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:37:38 PM by madasafish »

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »
Thanks for the in depth break down Madasafish
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »

Just to report on the effects  - Fuelly :

YTD mpg over 7 years  42.7mpg
Fillups
160   04/12/202     43.28   
159   22/10/2020   43.10

Same trips (roughly ) but as  we are now Tier 3 I do less driving so expect mpg to deteriorate as driving contains fewer longer trips. And weather is noticeably colder.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2020, 12:01:47 PM »
I wonder if this is another case of the confusion arising because 1 UK gallon = 1.2 US gallons? So 43 mpg UK is roughly 36 mpg US.

Paul22118

• Oggy
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz auto Dec 2009
« Reply #282 on: December 23, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »
My 59 Jazz i shift is displaying a 48.8 mpg and hardly varies from that over the last three years.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #283 on: December 23, 2020, 06:01:18 PM »
On economy driving with a CVT transmission I find it is not quite as easy to keep the revs down in traffic as it would be in a manual. Unless you want to cause real frustration to traffic following you at the lights you do have to push the engine a bit. Not pedal to the floor stuff but I do open the throttle when moving off from rest.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »
Our Jazz has averaged between 53 and 55 mpg in just over 6 months of ownership. Filled up last night, and was expecting a poor result given the cold temperatures of late, but he returned an awesome 50.21.  :D I'm really happy with that.

I note fuel prices have crept up a little. Paid £113.7 per litre at Asda yesterday. Not normaly an Asda fuel buyer, but it's pay at pump and more Covid secure IMHO.

Tags:

anything