Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79602 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #300 on: December 28, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
The Honda TPMS does need a 15 mile+ calibration. The advice is to take in left and right hand bends and a mixture of roads.

If you fit a new single tyre then the TPMS will go off a few times as the tyre wall beds in and the rotation adjusts slightly.

Fit 2 new tyres on the same axle and it should only need resetting once.

Been there, got the t-shirt, etc
Let's be careful out there !

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2021, 05:33:02 PM »
The Honda TPMS does need a 15 mile+ calibration. The advice is to take in left and right hand bends and a mixture of roads.

If you fit a new single tyre then the TPMS will go off a few times as the tyre wall beds in and the rotation adjusts slightly.

I fitted two new front tyres two months ago and have driven very little since, with the longest single trip only 7 miles until today (25miles). I had to recalibrate very soon after the tyres were fitted but today I had to do it again.  With luck, this will be the last time.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2021, 11:23:53 AM »

Next time I have a problem I'm going to do this (after checking pressures and recalibrating). I haven't had the problem of late.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2021, 09:15:48 AM »
It is now over two years since my last battle with the TPMS system. It just happened again , and this time I will call it a fair cop.

Last time it was caused by changing one tyre, then being forced to change the second tyre on the axle, and then still needing the tolerances to be set wider than OEM by Honda to stop the TPMS warning. (earlier this thread).

This time I was driving up the M1 and the warning popped up. I stopped at next services and checked the pressures which varied from about 28 to 32 (hot). I pumped them up to 34 (by now down to warm) and re-initialised the system, drove another 100 miles, (80 on the motorway) and it has not reappeared.

I assume that uneven natural deflation (~4psi) was enough to trigger the TPMS. I confess I had not checked them for a long time  ::)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2021, 09:50:29 AM »
It is now over two years since my last battle with the TPMS system. It just happened again , and this time I will call it a fair cop.

Last time it was caused by changing one tyre, then being forced to change the second tyre on the axle, and then still needing the tolerances to be set wider than OEM by Honda to stop the TPMS warning. (earlier this thread).

This time I was driving up the M1 and the warning popped up. I stopped at next services and checked the pressures which varied from about 28 to 32 (hot). I pumped them up to 34 (by now down to warm) and re-initialised the system, drove another 100 miles, (80 on the motorway) and it has not reappeared.

I assume that uneven natural deflation (~4psi) was enough to trigger the TPMS. I confess I had not checked them for a long time  ::)

Glad it's behaving itself
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:52:13 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2021, 10:41:53 AM »

Yes - interesting isn't it? In all the false alarms I've had there has been no variation in tyre pressures or new tyres involved. That said, in this car, bought from new, the system eventually settled down after 3 recalibrations.

I've no faith in the system whatsoever but, as long as it doesn't go off again, I can live with it.

fatal

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz 1.3se Mk3
« Reply #306 on: June 02, 2021, 05:11:21 PM »
Somehow I've managed to turn my TPMS off, I can't remember what I did, I was fed up with the thing activating. I was just fiddling with settings etc. It's never come back on in the 12 months that I've had the car. I do check the pressures each week.
I think therefore I'm not.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #307 on: June 02, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »
As far as I am aware this is a safety feature and there is no way to electronically disable it.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2021, 05:57:45 PM »
Somehow I've managed to turn my TPMS off, I can't remember what I did, I was fed up with the thing activating. I was just fiddling with settings etc. It's never come back on in the 12 months that I've had the car. I do check the pressures each week.
Mine didn't come up for over 3 years until I changed the front tyres.  It's not switched off, but normal behaviour when there's no circumference change.  The pressures are only checked at the annual service, apart from my visual checks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 08:28:57 AM by Downsizer »

casan11

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3VTEC S Manual
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »
Whatever the system is called, mine goes off regularly enough to be annoying. Only once have I had a puncture and it didnt go off then until I heard the bumping sound they make as you are driving!
I reset it regularly and check my tyres monthly - I have gone form being concerend eveytime it goes off to merely sighing, stopping when I can and resetting which silences it for a while. Perhaps sits just a bit too sensitive for me..

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »
Whatever the system is called, mine goes off regularly enough to be annoying. Only once have I had a puncture and it didnt go off then until I heard the bumping sound they make as you are driving!
I reset it regularly and check my tyres monthly - I have gone form being concerend eveytime it goes off to merely sighing, stopping when I can and resetting which silences it for a while. Perhaps sits just a bit too sensitive for me..

Mine has never been as bad as that, but when it was giving real trouble a couple of years ago, after buying one then two new tyres, my Honda Dealer "set the tolerances to non OEM", ie made system less sensitive.

You could try asking your Honda dealer to do that.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #311 on: November 04, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »
I have just had another alert, but it was another "fair cop".

IMHO there are two situations where legitimate warnings will trigger:

1. One tyre gets fast or slow puncture.

2. All tyres slowly deflate by unequal amounts.

The first type is what I reported in the OP of this thread, (slow).

The second type would not happen if you regularly check and reset, but I admit I don't. I can't remember when I last checked and just had a pressure warning and found the tyres were 25,25,25,30.

So after five years of ownership I am pretty confident in the system, and it has mostly done the job it is meant to do. The exceptions were false alerts in the first few months, and then three years later when I changed tyres, and had to have the OEM tolerances widened.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 05:24:35 PM by mikebore »

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2021, 11:11:21 PM »
Had the tyre warning come on regularly when I first bought my Mk3 1.3 CVT but each time when I checked the pressure ALL tyres were perfectly ok and correct pressure. Spoke to local main dealer about this and was advised to turn off the warning and check tyres at least once a week to ensure no change - manual check better than trusting electronics. They even had a handout advising how to switch off the warning. As car only came with foam repair I bought a space saver spare 'just in case'. I currently run 185/60R15's at 34psi front and 32psi rear driver and passenger and find ride is much better than 32/30 on door post and grip is certainly the same if not bit better in the wet.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2021, 11:21:29 PM »
Had the tyre warning come on regularly when I first bought my Mk3 1.3 CVT but each time when I checked the pressure ALL tyres were perfectly ok and correct pressure. Spoke to local main dealer about this and was advised to turn off the warning and check tyres at least once a week to ensure no change - manual check better than trusting electronics. They even had a handout advising how to switch off the warning. As car only came with foam repair I bought a space saver spare 'just in case'. I currently run 185/60R15's at 34psi front and 32psi rear driver and passenger and find ride is much better than 32/30 on door post and grip is certainly the same if not bit better in the wet.

Interesting. I thought it was a legal requirement and couldn't be turned off.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »

Interesting. I thought it was a legal requirement and couldn't be turned off.

I'm intrigued to see the handout the main dealer gave you to show how to 'switch off' the tyre deflation warning. Do you have a copy you could post on here?

You can initialise the system to effectively reset it following tyre pressure changes, change of tyres etc - but you can't turn it off.

Tags:

anything