Author Topic: Green Party Manifesto  (Read 9665 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Green Party Manifesto
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
Out of interest, how many acres does it take to feed a meat eater ?
The average US consumer today requires more than 2.5 acres of land each year to sustain his or her current diet.

SO half a vegetarian..
Save the planet - eat more meat.. :-\

I am only joking..

What does annoy me - I am a physicist by training - is when p[eopel advocate a course of action to relive a crisis - but don't attempt to quantify  the impacts of their proposal..

At presemt teh UK imports half its own food. If we all went vegan, we would have to import a lot more.. Soya does not grow ell on northern slopes where sheep graze......And teh Amazon would be totally deforested to meat demand...

Don't start me on teh Green Party's carbon neutral by 2030 policy. It is totally unachieavable in any shape or form - unless we stop all immigration, all new births and the sun shines and night and the wind blows all the time.,.. and add in a touch of assisted suicihe - about 20 million will do,

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2019, 02:44:07 PM »
I've not been able to find comparable figures but I've found the following statements which are from the vegetarian society website although they include links to where they get the information from:

• More agricultural land is used to raise cattle than all other domesticated animals and crops combined.

A vegetarian diet requires two-and-a-half times less the amount of land needed to grow food, compared to a meat-based diet .

And this from the vegan society website:

• Humans around the world drink 5.2 billion gallons of water and eat 21 billion pounds of food each day. Cows around the world drink 45 billion gallons of water and eat 135 billion pounds of food each day - nine times as much water and seven times as much food as all humans.

If every family in the UK removed the meat from just one meal a week, it would have the same environmental impact as taking 16 million cars off the road.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »

Don't start me on teh Green Party's carbon neutral by 2030 policy. It is totally unachieavable in any shape or form - unless we stop all immigration, all new births and the sun shines and night and the wind blows all the time.,.. and add in a touch of assisted suicihe - about 20 million will do,

It appears to me that none of the parties have a plan for achieving carbon neutrality.
2050, 2040, 2030.
I'll see your 10 years and raise you 10 million trees.
Something must be started now.
At least the Greens have raised awareness and have shamed the main parties into having some green policies.

Last edit Added last sentence
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:49:59 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »
Saw a figure once that really shocked me, it takes 440litres of water to make 1 litre of Coca Cola - that includes the irrigation water for the cane sugar.  Saw a program about Mexico the other week,  people in certain areas have used wells to get clean water for hundreds of years, Coca Cola opens a plant nearby and pumps so much water out of the ground that the wells are now running dry.  All so that people can drink high sugar coke and ruin their health... madness,  wonder if extinction rebellion protestors drink coke ? they certainly use bottled gas for cooking and heating their tents....

https://corporate-citizenship.com/2016/09/19/taking-fizz-coca-colas-water-replenishment-claims/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »
More agricultural land is used to raise cattle than all other domesticated animals and crops combined.
You know what they say about statistics. If those cattle feed more people than the rest of the agricultural land then the statement is pointless.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »
At least the Greens have raised awareness and have shamed the main parties into having some green policies.
Once Brexit is assured I will switch my allegiance to the Green Party.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
More agricultural land is used to raise cattle than all other domesticated animals and crops combined.
You know what they say about statistics. If those cattle feed more people than the rest of the agricultural land then the statement is pointless.

Yeah, and not all land is suitable for crops, only suitable for grazing sheep and cattle, and sometimes only goats can make a living off it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2019, 08:18:24 PM »
Once Brexit is assured I will switch my allegiance to the Green Party.

Interestingly there are a minority of Green Party members who are anti EU. They call themselves "Green Leaves" - I kid you not.

One area, after Brexit, that might benefit Green initiatives, is the escape from "State Aid Rules" - these are one of the reasons why solar panels can't be zero rated for VAT as I understand it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
China produces more CO2 and Methane than the US, Europe and Japan combined. The UK produces 2% of the worlds total.
If the UK reverted back to the Stone Age, overnight, it would make no difference to global warming. Only a whole world approach will make any difference, and that will never happen. We're all doooomed!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
We're all doooomed!
We are but the planet isn't. It will get on perfectly fine without us. We will be just another mass extinction in a long line of them. The only unique part being we did it to ourselves.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »
We're all doooomed!
We are but the planet isn't. It will get on perfectly fine without us. We will be just another mass extinction in a long line of them. The only unique part being we did it to ourselves.

Yeah 100% correct.... the planet will be better off without us messing things up...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »
You see how nature proliferated in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. Yes, the Earth will go on and I expect mankind will carry on in odd pockets, possibly living as our forefathers did. After all, birds are what are left of the dinosaurs.

guest4871

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2019, 01:32:54 PM »
I'm sure my Honda Jazz will just keep soldiering  :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2019, 01:33:29 PM »
https://unite2leave.co.uk/#/england

Interesting guide to how you should tactically vote in England to ensure Brexit happens

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
Interesting guide to how you should tactically vote in England to ensure Brexit happens
Don't really see how that pertains to saving the planet.

Tags:

anything