Author Topic: 2004 GD Radio u/s  (Read 2858 times)

valleyjazz

• Approved Member
2004 GD Radio u/s
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:24:05 PM »
After 13 years and 100050 miles the radio has decided its had enough and decided it was not going to play anymore, the cd plays just fine, so an inexpensive fix is required.
Thanks to the forum it seems there is a fix for this however I do not have the skills or patience to get the soldering iron out.
Scouring the likes of eBay there are plenty of used units available but not my particular model cd/radio no aux out, here’s my question folks, do any of the later mk1 units fit and function? Also would the aux out work?
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks for looking

guest1372

Re: 2004 GD Radio u/s
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »
Face lift and original units are interchangeable, but the fascia also varies with climate control or standard heating.  No auxiliary outputs on any of them, but there is an aux in facility on all radios even the cassette version.  The rear panel of the head unit has a green socket for the aux loom, if your car already has an aux socket on the centre console then all you have to do is swap the green plug from the old to the new head unit.  If you don't have an aux socket then you can add one quite easily.  The diagram below shows the wiring, there are 3 pins for audio L/R/ground and two pins which enable the aux function when connected, plugging in a jack on the factory fitted aux closes a switch which connects these two.  The head unit end of this loom also includes an extra chassis ground but this is not needed for this to work.  The green plug is rare but you can use a 0.1" pitch DuPont plug or radio control servo plug instead - 3pin for the audio and bridge the enable pins with a jumper from a computer or Arduino.  Easiest is to just feed a 3.5mm jack down the back and leave it loose in the centre console rather than fit a socket.

When removing your radio, push from behind by sliding out the glovebox liner and undo the two deep set 8mm bolts from underneath - youtube will show you how.
--
TG
(log in for pictures/attachments)

[attachment deleted by admin]

valleyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
TG, apologies, but a belated thank you for your reply, just what I was hoping for, when I get a moment will start the search for the radio and cable, when complete will update the post, but will be awhile as busy on other projects at the moment,
Thanks again

valleyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
Well turning into a bit of a saga, sourced a second hand unit from salvage co in Bristol, arrived safely and quickly, spent a happy couple of hours in some interesting positions and managed to exchange unit, was unable to get to one of the heater cables buried deep in the glove box, however managed to swop the heater controls in situ, all now well except the unit is a later vintage than the original and has an aerial din connector? And I have a “co-ax” plug so now hunting for an adapter, anyone have any ideas what the connector is called and if possible where one can be sourced?
Thanks in advance for reading

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »
Looks like it above; so the big button facelift unit has the square aerial and originals have the regular coax socket?
--
TG

valleyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:36:09 AM »
Have ordered similar one off eBay, one detailed has a 2 week delivery, should be in early next week and will update when fitted and hopefully working
Thanks for your time
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2-CT27AA50-Car-Stereo-Honda-Female-DIN-Female-Antenna-Adapter-/381133741131
Link to one ordered

valleyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »
Received cable today, still no reception so I gather the blue lead needs to be connected,no instructions as to where the blue cable needs to be connected to, any guidance would be greatfully received (have sent email to connects 2 for guidance)
Thanks in advance for looking

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
The blue wire on standard DIN connections for car radios always used to go to the aerial amp built into the aerial mount to amplify the signal when I used to do installations. If you can't find the correct connection on the radio you could connect it to an 'ignition on' +12V supply. It was usually connected on the radio to a connector that shows +12V then the radio is switched on.

Hope that helps, Mike.

valleyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
Thanks to the forum have finally got the radio sorted, did not require 12v to antena, I reseated the adapter and all is now working fine.
Interesting project that kept me entertained for a few days
In summary we bought
radio/cd from salvage yard in Bristol
Aux connector
Connects2 CTVHOX002 Honda Jazz 2001-2016 Car Aux iPhone iPod Interface Adapter
Female - din antenna adapter
Connects2 CT27AA50 Car Stereo Honda Female - DIN Female Antenna Adapter
Set of trim removal tools, probably never use again but invaluable in removing radio
12 PC - Plastic Car Radio Door Clip Panel Trim Dashboard Audio Pry Tool Repairing Removal and Moulding Tool Set Kit
Pack of plasters and tube of back ointment

Would anyone want a complete radio/cd unit and all fixings for spares(foc)? If not,off to the scrap yard with it

Many thanks again to all contributors

Tags: