Author Topic: GD 04 Dim headlight one side.  (Read 1050 times)

DJTHP

• Registered Member
  • Hands on DIY motor fanatic
  • My Honda: Jazz SE GD 2004 idsi
GD 04 Dim headlight one side.
« on: December 06, 2023, 09:38:44 PM »
Hello I'm new here. I'd like to give a little advice. Don't try replacing head light through the wheel arch .So mine went, it was dark outside and foggy . About a week or so before my parking light went and that was easy to change through the wheel arch. Now headlight was a royal pain in the back side. After fiddling about for about an hour and a half I managed to get the old H4 bulb out and new in .Put headlights on normal but the replaced one was dim .I thought I'd got a major wire problem like a bad wire or ground.Before I checked for that I thought I'd check fuse's, they were all good ,then I had no choice but to take the whole headlight off as I'm sure you all know there is no acces to it in the engine bay.So you have to first take off 3 plastic retaining rivets on the wheel arch plastic one at 12 one at 2 and one at about 5 that holds into the bottom of the bumper then there is a screw at about 2 o'clock that joins the bumper to the wing , use a decent screw driver as can be very corroded. Next there are 4 plastic retaining rivets top of the bumper where it meets the bonnet. Two 10 mm bolts at top of headlight and two at the bottom accessible once bumper is undone. Now you can do it with just one side of the bumper undone if just just changing one head light .Any way once I'd done that I discovered that after messing about doing it the other way before hand (through arch) that I'd actually bent one of the 3 legs on the H4 bulb when putting the connector back on . Bent it back reconnected it and full light was restored. I hope this helps anyone out for future reference if chasing the dreaded dim light gremlin. Normally bad ground wire , connector or bad fuse and now the very fiddly through the wheel arch way where you cant see very well or get your hand in unless your a conntortionist.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: GD 04 Dim headlight one side.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 10:23:53 AM »
Issues like yours wait untill winter, helpful write up for other MK1 owners

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: GD 04 Dim headlight one side.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »
It can be a real pain on some cars to change headlight bulbs.On a Corsa the workshop manual says remove the front bumper.  I found ways to avoid doing this, but my method probably took longer and was a real Pita.  >:(

An additional problem to beware  of  is if a previous owner fitted two ultra bright bulbs of some kind  (which typically dont last as long). If you fit a standard bulb it will not be as bright as the other side.       
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 10:41:12 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything