Author Topic: headlamps not lasting  (Read 2172 times)

KJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 P reg
headlamps not lasting
« on: November 30, 2023, 11:05:02 AM »
Hi All. I'm only getting about 18 months max on new handlamps installed at Halfords. Does anyone know how long a bulb should last? (I have a 2003 Jazz.)

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
Re: headlamps not lasting
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 01:59:46 PM »
Sounds about right if you’re driving in the dark alot or using headlights in low light or inclement weather, I had a 2004 jazz and always used the higher spec brighter bulbs like the current nightbreaker ones but you may only get around 12 months from them, I have only used Halfords bulbs once and only used good quality known brands, the lights on my Jazz were the were the worst I’ve ever used and using better ones improved visibility slightly, but most of the time I used them with the foglamps to help.
Best lights I’ve ever had were on my Renaults and of course on my current 2023 Jazz hybrid which are excellent.  :D ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 03:41:44 PM »
My Yaris Only needed one bulb in 14 years.  My Corsa blew one or other of the  headlight bulbs  annually or 18 months on average.  The make or quality of the bulb made no difference. Standard bulbs, not extra  high power ones which can burn out even faster.   I changed them myself, and avoided  touching the glass. They say that even with clean fingers the small amount of  body grease in  finger prints can cause early failure. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 06:55:44 AM »
Not knowing which brand Halfords used, difficult to point the finger. I suspect they use their own label, and they may be the cheapest of the cheapest. If it were me, I would buy decent bulbs from ebay or similar, so I know the quality of what is fitted.

I changed them myself, and avoided  touching the glass. They say that even with clean fingers the small amount of  body grease in  finger prints can cause early failure.
I agree with LV on that. Wear some gloves when changing to avoid the issue.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 10:42:46 AM »
But Phillips or Osram avoid every cheap bulb deal.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »
I typically used Osram on the Corsa.  Possibly lasted longer than 'no names'  but  still blew more often than I would like  -  and a pig to change on the Corsa. They recommend dropping the front bumper for access.  I found a way of avoiding that but still involved some dismantling  and takes 30 minutes(I had to remove the air filter box)   Got stopped by the police once. He expected me to change it on the spot.- I always carry a spare bulb  and its easy on some cars.     I had to go into full 'pathetic' mode to  escape that. ;D    Maybe thats the problem. Although kept in in a padded spare bulb kit the replacements may have  already rattled around for a while. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything