Author Topic: 2004 Honda Jazz. Uses a lot of oil and squeaks, amongst other noises.  (Read 1502 times)

Childseat

• Registered Member
Hi there,
I have a jazz 2004  it has done 185,000km , 115000 miles.
It has the famous gearbox bearing problem, which I was intending to get fixed in the next few weeks as the noise is getting unbearable.

However, now it seems to have another problem.
The battery died the other day, which I have now replaced. Since then it has started to squeak. And feels very dodgy to drive. The sqeaking happens around 2000rpm in the first and 2nd gear. It squeaks a couple of times and then stops.

The trip monitor, which tells you your avergae petrol usage has also become very erratic. Normally averaging 5.5 l/100km it went up to 6.7l and now down to 4.4l.  Within a trip of 20km.

The car also seems to be using a lot of oil.

Also when starting off with a cold engine there is a smell of petrol.

So lots of problems. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what is wrong. It will be going to the mechanic next week.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2004 Honda Jazz. Uses a lot of oil and squeaks, amongst other noises.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 01:58:01 PM »
How much is a lot of oil? Mine would use a couple of litres between oil changes. You have to check the oil with the warm. From the manual:
Make sure the engine is warmed up and parked on level ground. Turn off the engine and wait approximately 3 minutes before checking the oil level.
If you check it cold you can overfill it and then it burns off and then it shows up as low again when the engine is cold.
The manual also states:
The amount of oil consumed depends on how the vehicle is driven and the climatic and road conditions encountered. The rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1,000 km/625 miles.

Childseat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 02:17:32 PM »
So I would say approx 1 litre lasted around 500km.

Jock, you had the bearings replaced on your jazz didnt you?. Did you have any other noises come from the engine apart from the one from the transmission. I was wondering if the other noises could be related to the gearbox issue.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 03:37:04 PM »
No. The engine was like new despite 149,500 miles. Like you, I got fed up with the noise the gearbox made. It became embarrassing. I felt pedestrians and other drivers could hear it. Once it was repaired it was as sweet as a nut.
As an ex maintenance engineer with over 30 years on the tools I know that if you do work and end up with a problem (your squeak) it is 99% certain it is something you did (swapping the battery). I would go over that. All the bits you disturbed when you swapped the battery.

Childseat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 07:23:33 AM »
So in the end it needed all the wheel bearings replaced as well, new clutch and the gearbox bearings changed, and now it runs like a new car!!
The wheel bearings were causing most of the noise.

Thanks for your help

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 11:45:30 AM »
Great stuff. Bet that wasn't cheap.

Tags:

anything