Author Topic: Should I replace the rear shocks as well?  (Read 1173 times)

PeBen27

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 petrol 2008
Should I replace the rear shocks as well?
« on: April 17, 2023, 04:05:07 PM »
Hello, I've had such fun dealing with the advisories on my wife's 2008 Jazz, including replacing all the suspension springs and the front shock absorbers, bearings and mounting bushes.
Having replaced the front shock absorbers, should I also replace the rears, even though they weren't mentioned in the MOT advisories?

coravel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Hybrid EX
Re: Should I replace the rear shocks as well?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 05:03:14 PM »
If the MOT mechanic hasn’t mentioned those parts then there’s little point in changing them.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 08:14:57 PM »
Mind you, having done all that work it wouldn't cost a great deal to change the rear shocks as well and then the whole suspension would have been overhauled.

PeBen27

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 petrol 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 08:30:28 PM »
Well, those were roughly my thoughts too.
I might do them, and replace the anti-rollbar bushes as well.  I'll probably comment on here how it goes, if I do....
Thanks for looking and responding folks.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:57:20 PM »
You've been busy.
Check & change the cabin filter, assuming it's been missed in previous services. Then enjoy real fresh air, 6 out of 10 cars I see require a fresh filter. Check you local motor factors for Blue Print filters a 4 minute task it's behind the passenger glove box.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 08:38:37 PM »
I never ever found it to be a 4-minute task. The tray had pins to locate the filter but no filter, Honda filters included, had indents to sit over the pins. I always found the filter would scrunch up as I tried to refit the tray so I resorted to a bit of double-sided tape between the leading edge of the filter and the edge of the tray.
When I first got the car the filter needed changing but if I am honest, I never noticed any great improvement in the air quality afterwards. perhaps if I had had air con it may have made a difference.
And despite always driving with the windows closed the dashboard always seemed to gather dust.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »
I never ever found it to be a 4-minute task. The tray had pins to locate the filter but no filter, Honda filters included, had indents to sit over the pins. I always found the filter would scrunch up as I tried to refit the tray so I resorted to a bit of double-sided tape between the leading edge of the filter and the edge of the tray.
When I first got the car the filter needed changing but if I am honest, I never noticed any great improvement in the air quality afterwards. perhaps if I had had air con it may have made a difference.
And despite always driving with the windows closed the dashboard always seemed to gather dust.

After forgetting to change the incar filter in our 2003 Yaris the heater resistor failed.. due to insufficient airflow I assume... £10 s.hand to fix.but some dismantling. :'(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
I changed mine every service. it just wasn't a 4 minute job.

Tags:

anything