Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2006 - Ticking/Clicking noise at 55 mph  (Read 1109 times)

stuman11

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006
Honda Jazz 2006 - Ticking/Clicking noise at 55 mph
« on: April 25, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
Hi all,

First-time poster here looking for help with my 2006 Honda Jazz !!.

I have a really strange fault with my Jazz that two garages have been unable to diagnose. The car makes no unusual noises except for when I'm on the motorway when I'm driving at +55mph. It starts ticking (or clicking) quite rapidly, depending on speed, tick, tick, tick, tick . . . . it's really grating on the ears. Recently I discovered that if I put a little weight on the gear stick that the noise immediately stops.

I've had to repair a few things recently and with the car being 15 years old I'm trying to be cautious about my spend to make the car worthwhile to keep. It's been fantastic over the years but I'm worried about more parts failing in the near future.

If anyone has any ideas or advice on this issue I would be forever grateful  :D.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Honda Jazz 2006 - Ticking/Clicking noise at 55 mph
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
Welcome. It sounds like it could be wear in the remote gearchange assembly. If you are a DIY mechanic you could get one from a scrappy, or eBay, and replace yours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153471843111?hash=item23bba27b27:g:D~oAAOSwd~Zbexv9

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:54 AM »
Is there some sort of locknut at the base of the shifter that may be loose and vibrates above a certain speed and holding shifter makes it disappear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyausten

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE3 Jazz Sport
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »
Does the sound appear to be inside the cabin our outside in the engine bay / elsewhere? How loud would you say it was also? Id be very surprised if it were the the shifter assembly, there are a large number of things it could be which I'd try to isolate first.
Current: '08 GE3 Sport, '97 CE1 Aerodeck 2.2iES
Previous Hondas: CA5 CC1 EE8 EE9 CC9 CH1 ED7 ZE1 CN1 CE1. - Non Honda: E-RNN14 GTiR E-BNR32 GTR

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 10:27:10 PM »
I discovered that if I put a little weight on the gear stick that the noise immediately stops.
There are a myriad of possible reasons but the OPs statement above leads me to think it is the shifter.

stuman11

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:38:28 AM »
Welcome. It sounds like it could be wear in the remote gearchange assembly. If you are a DIY mechanic you could get one from a scrappy, or eBay, and replace yours.

Thanks for your response. It sounds like a good shout. I have changed the discs and the pads myself however I have never tried anything like this, I could potentially lift the car and have a look at underneath or try and strip the middle console and look at the gear change assembly.

Billyaustin, responding to where the noise is coming from; it's difficult to tell, I've always felt that it was coming from the left wheel, last time I had someone in the passenger seat they felt it was more under the footwell/ from the middle of the engine lol. The fact that putting weight on the gear stick stops it seems weird to me.

I have some time off work today so might try to investigate further.

I really appreciate your input !!.

billyausten

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE3 Jazz Sport
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
How many limes does the car have? I assume it is a manual gearbox too?
Current: '08 GE3 Sport, '97 CE1 Aerodeck 2.2iES
Previous Hondas: CA5 CC1 EE8 EE9 CC9 CH1 ED7 ZE1 CN1 CE1. - Non Honda: E-RNN14 GTiR E-BNR32 GTR

Tags: